Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-07-2020, 12:07 PM   #29
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hops View Post
It makes me think EV’s are currently stuck as straight line wonders. The current Camaro is a great track day machine. Something you can drive to the track, drive in anger for 1hour + and drive home, that’s why I bought it. I hope the next Camaro EV or not retains that focus. While I love the sensory experience an internal combustion engine provides, I can see some interesting advantages of a EV track car: No possible oil starvation from using slicks, and the safety of no oil or coolant to slide on.(well assuming everyone is in an EV of course).
Not stuck for long. Just need the price to be equal to an ICE, which GM claims the ultium battery does. https://youtu.be/8m31EgQkswg
Old 09-07-2020, 12:55 PM   #30
Invertalon

Drives: 2021 2SS
I think the Camaro needs at the very least, to keep the SS and ZL1 V8 powerplants. I can see the 4/6 cylinder options going the way of a more balanced EV system and perhaps a high performance, ZL1 type option as well.

Not against electric/hybrids, but it needs to be an option for the Camaro and not a requirement.

Toyota hybrid systems are really nice (owned and driven plenty), but I can't see that being a replacement even with a lot of power behind it. There is more to the 'experience' of certain vehicles, such as the sound, handling, etc... Camaro is absolutely one of those. Without a proper engine under the hood, it loses it's spirit. No matter how much torque or equivalent HP it may have.

That being said, it IS where the market is going. EV's will dominate in the future, no doubt about that. As volume goes up and automakers get more experience and costs can go down, that will basically kill the internal combustion engine in cars. No question. Aside from specialty vehicles.

So we can hope the Camaro will enjoy a proper powerplant for many years to come. But it's hard to say.
Invertalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 08:21 PM   #31
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Not stuck for long. Just need the price to be equal to an ICE, which GM claims the ultium battery does. https://youtu.be/8m31EgQkswg

That's cool for a ring lap, but would there be enough range to do a full track day without charging between sessions? Like many others, I drive 1 to 2hrs or more to get to the track. For an EV, that's at least 3 charges. I wonder with LiON batteries, in an effort to get long ranges results in really heavy cars.
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 08:26 PM   #32
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
That's cool for a ring lap, but would there be enough range to do a full track day without charging between sessions? Like many others, I drive 1 to 2hrs or more to get to the track. For an EV, that's at least 3 charges. I wonder with LiON batteries, in an effort to get long ranges results in really heavy cars.
With fast charging, Porsche claims 80% in 15 minutes if I recall correctly.
Old 09-07-2020, 08:41 PM   #33
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
how long after the ev takeover will it be before there are multiple fast charge stations at racetracks? drag and road course alike..
Old 09-07-2020, 09:34 PM   #34
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
You could build a Camaro with 3000 hp, a 0-60 of 1.3 seconds, a top speed of 360 mph, and all the most cutting edge technology, eliminate all the flaws of the current Camaro, and price it for $35,000.......

If it doesn’t have a non-turbo V8 internal combustion engine with no hybrids or other alternative fuels, as well as a real 3 pedal manual transmission, you can shove it. And you can take my quote to all your friends at GM. Tell them all to go f themselves. Seriously.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 08:41 AM   #35
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
Haha, while I wouldn't have been that blunt, I feel pretty much the same way. Without a V8 for me, there is no reason to buy a car like a Camaro, I don't care how fast it goes with electric, hydrogen, nuclear, dark matter, etc. It's about the experience and feeling of driving one.

Chevy basically has the Vette, Camaro, and maybe some trucks (to some degree), then everything else might as well be Brand X, basic transportation from A to B garbage that everyone else sells. Does it really matter if you drive a Honda or Toyota or GM CUV or rental-car-like daily driver? What really differentiates an Accord from a Malibu or a CRV from a Trax? Not much.

I guess my point is, if you take away what many feel is special about the very few special vehicles that are left, there is no reason to stick with any brand or model simply b/c of the nameplate. No reason at all.
Exactly! Well stated and I agree completely!
Nothing like an SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 09:18 AM   #36
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
It makes me think EV’s are currently stuck as straight line wonders.
Straight line acceleration is almost always the first thing that gets people interested in car performance. So it makes sense to pitch that attribute in the early days of vehicle electrification in order to get the enthusiast contingent on board (who might otherwise remain more traditionally tied to the ICE and more strongly opposed to change). A smart marketing move, if you ask me.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 09-08-2020 at 09:45 AM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 09:47 AM   #37
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Haha, while I wouldn't have been that blunt, I feel pretty much the same way. Without a V8 for me, there is no reason to buy a car like a Camaro, I don't care how fast it goes with electric, hydrogen, nuclear, dark matter, etc. It's about the experience and feeling of driving one.

Chevy basically has the Vette, Camaro, and maybe some trucks (to some degree), then everything else might as well be Brand X, basic transportation from A to B garbage that everyone else sells. Does it really matter if you drive a Honda or Toyota or GM CUV or rental-car-like daily driver? What really differentiates an Accord from a Malibu or a CRV from a Trax? Not much.

I guess my point is, if you take away what many feel is special about the very few special vehicles that are left, there is no reason to stick with any brand or model simply b/c of the nameplate. No reason at all.
I’ve found in life when dealing with incompetent, blind, and naive people being extremely blunt is the only way to get through to them.

And in fact, the management and decision makers at GM who are contemplating a Camaro without an internal combustion V8 and 3 pedal manual transmission are in fact all three. And I would seriously tell them that right to their faces.

They’ve already done it with the Corvette. Don’t even get me started on that.

In even much more colorful language than I’m allowed to use on this forum.

Take this quote back to your folks at GM Number3. They need and deserve to hear from real people.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:48 AM   #38
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
You could build a Camaro with 3000 hp, a 0-60 of 1.3 seconds, a top speed of 360 mph, and all the most cutting edge technology, eliminate all the flaws of the current Camaro, and price it for $35,000.......

If it doesn’t have a non-turbo V8 internal combustion engine with no hybrids or other alternative fuels, as well as a real 3 pedal manual transmission, you can shove it. And you can take my quote to all your friends at GM. Tell them all to go f themselves. Seriously.
LOL, tell us how you really feel.

Very few friends at GM these days, mostly they are retired now (or about to). I've been away a lonnnngggg time now.

There is a term some of my friends jokingly use on me.....luddite. Seems to fit here.

Not sure why you want them to f themselves, though, as the car you claim to want exists, at least for another year or 2. But they won't keep it around just for you and I. Need another 20 or 30,000 buyers that aren't buying today.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:15 AM   #39
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Straight line acceleration is almost always the first thing that gets people interested in car performance. So it makes sense to pitch that attribute in the early days of vehicle electrification in order to get the enthusiast contingent on board (who might otherwise remain more traditionally tied to the ICE and more strongly opposed to change). A smart marketing move, if you ask me.

Norm
This ^ You talk about a performance car to anybody and one of the first questions they will ask is how fast it is or they will get their impression on a ride where you stomp the accelerator. Try talking ring times or lap times to a non car person and you may as well be speaking ancient egyptian to them

Quote:
I’ve found in life when dealing with incompetent, blind, and naive people being extremely blunt is the only way to get through to them.

And in fact, the management and decision makers at GM who are contemplating a Camaro without an internal combustion V8 and 3 pedal manual transmission are in fact all three. And I would seriously tell them that right to their faces.

Take this quote back to your folks at GM Number3. They need and deserve to hear from real people.
While I sort of agree with the above, I think a lot of people especially enthusiasts forget that the V-8 in camaro/mustang/challenger only represents about 30-40% of what is purchased. I would love to pound my fist on the desk and say it has to have a V8 or it isnt a real XYZ but the fact is we are already the minority.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 10:20 AM   #40
zx9rmal

Drives: '20 ZL1 M6
Quote:
From what I've heard, Honda was betting on hydrogen.
Hopefully it won't be called Hindenburg.
'22 Kawasaki ZX-14R
zx9rmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 11:07 AM   #41
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
as the car you claim to want exists, at least for another year or 2.
WTF does that mean, "car I claim to want"......

I OWN one

You're not helping your case or anyone associated with this situation.
Old 09-08-2020, 11:07 AM   #42
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:

You are assuming someone is contemplating a Camaro w/o a V8 and a manual manual transmission (as opposed to the DCT, an automated manual). The worst part is not that someone is considering that, but that they are also more likely considering the 2nd demise of the Camaro in our lifetime.

So the question is an electric Camaro or no Camaro at all? And for the sake of argument the electric Camaro would drive and handle like a Camaro without the noise. And yes, there are many that would consider than an abomination. For me, it's not the propulsion system or number of cylinders that define the Camaro. I've driven many, many 4 and 6 cylinder Camaros and they were still Camaros.

From what GM has told us, I doubt we see a hybrid of any kind. They are simply going all in on electric propulsion. There certainly is no hybrid version of the CT4 or CT5 or even a hint at one.

But from history, the Iron Duke in a Camaro is a far worse abomination IMO than an electric motor (or 3).

And historically, there was a FWD Camaro considered at one point a while ago. Didn't stick, thank goodness. GM80 program. My recollection was it didn't pass it's first barrier test and they dumped it.

https://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/...-video-287050/