Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 04-13-2021, 03:59 PM   #1
Bob RS

Drives: 2019 Camaro RS 1LT
OEM GM/ ACCESSORIES

It seems either GM just doesn't get it or there marketing team needs to be fired. With all the after market accessories in which many make great products that meet or exceed oem standards at a much cheaper price why won't GM/ Accessories sell there products at a more competitive price? So many times I have walked away from the parts department showing them basically the same product for almost $200 to $300 less, you just have to wonder how much money GM/Accessories loses a year to the competition selling basically the same products.
Bob RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 04:15 PM   #2
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
Gmpartsdirect or just search the part numbers online
Old 04-13-2021, 07:22 PM   #3
Bob RS

Jaxcam02 Thank You, I actually forgot all about GMPartsDirect.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:25 PM   #4
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
ShopChevyParts.com is another good resource with good prices...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 07:34 PM   #5
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob RS View Post
It seems either GM just doesn't get it or there marketing team needs to be fired. With all the after market accessories in which many make great products that meet or exceed oem standards at a much cheaper price why won't GM/ Accessories sell there products at a more competitive price? So many times I have walked away from the parts department showing them basically the same product for almost $200 to $300 less, you just have to wonder how much money GM/Accessories loses a year to the competition selling basically the same products.

Ford is the same way with the Mustang when I had one.

You can find better parts and tuners for cheaper or near the same price and are better. Especially CAI and tuner when it comes to the Mustang. So many options compared to the Ford brand stuff.

It's the same way with most products. I'm into selling phone accessories. the OEM cases Samsung and Apple make for their phones are overpriced junk and don't offer much protection compared to the non OEM.

Usually OEM is overpriced and sub par.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 10:53 PM   #6
TP2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSStlfan View Post
Ford is the same way with the Mustang when I had one.

You can find better parts and tuners for cheaper or near the same price and are better. Especially CAI and tuner when it comes to the Mustang. So many options compared to the Ford brand stuff.

It's the same way with most products. I'm into selling phone accessories. the OEM cases Samsung and Apple make for their phones are overpriced junk and don't offer much protection compared to the non OEM.

Usually OEM is overpriced and sub par.
But 3rd party phone cases don’t void your Apple care contract! That’s where the OEMs are getting you. Put the GM CAI on and get the dealer approved tune that comes with it and you’re good. Put the 3rd party CAI on and have it tuned and you can kiss your warranty bye bye.

Want proof? There’s a recent thread here where someone put “cosmetic” items on inc LED taillights, and has been having electrical problems. Dealer has now told him they won’t fix it under warranty because of the taillights he installed (and since removed and replaced with originals)...too late damage is done.
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
2019+ version Split Spoke Silver Wheels
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes
TP2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 11:00 PM   #7
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob RS View Post
Which specific accessory are you interested and what aftermarket alternative are you considering? "Meet or exceed OEM standards" is a blanket phrase I often see that doesn't really mean a whole lot. Last I checked, the shopchevyparts site seems to have the best prices or really competitive for OEM accessories.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 11:10 PM   #8
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP2SS View Post
There’s a recent thread here where someone put “cosmetic” items on inc LED taillights, and has been having electrical problems. Dealer has now told him they won’t fix it under warranty because of the taillights he installed (and since removed and replaced with originals)...too late damage is done.
Truth to be told, some of these aftermarket taillights are junk, drain the battery, hyperflash, burn out etc., so it's understandable the dealership doesn't want to be on the hook for any electrical damage they may have caused.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 11:29 PM   #9
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP2SS View Post
But 3rd party phone cases don’t void your Apple care contract! That’s where the OEMs are getting you. Put the GM CAI on and get the dealer approved tune that comes with it and you’re good. Put the 3rd party CAI on and have it tuned and you can kiss your warranty bye bye.

Want proof? There’s a recent thread here where someone put “cosmetic” items on inc LED taillights, and has been having electrical problems. Dealer has now told him they won’t fix it under warranty because of the taillights he installed (and since removed and replaced with originals)...too late damage is done.

All car makers will try and find BS reasons to get out of doing warranty work. Same thing with the Mustang Ford would make outrageous claims about aftermarket parts causing this and that but federal law protects you. The aftermarket part has to be causing the problem.

You should read some of the stories on Mustang forums about that. Go to a different dealer if one gives you issues.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 06:29 AM   #10
TP2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSStlfan View Post
All car makers will try and find BS reasons to get out of doing warranty work. Same thing with the Mustang Ford would make outrageous claims about aftermarket parts causing this and that but federal law protects you. The aftermarket part has to be causing the problem.

You should read some of the stories on Mustang forums about that. Go to a different dealer if one gives you issues.
Probably so, but tuning an ECU with a 3rd party CAI will absolutely void your (at the least) powertrain warranty. Any ECU tune will do so. No federal law in the world will save you once you touch that ECU!
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
2019+ version Split Spoke Silver Wheels
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes
TP2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 06:34 AM   #11
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
ill be honest. i haven't ever found an item from gm performance that i gave serious consideration to buying. i like the drag wheels but got damn they're salty.
Old 04-14-2021, 06:43 AM   #12
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
Which specific accessory are you interested and what aftermarket alternative are you considering? "Meet or exceed OEM standards" is a blanket phrase I often see that doesn't really mean a whole lot. Last I checked, the shopchevyparts site seems to have the best prices or really competitive for OEM accessories.
Take the rear wing on the ZL/1E. It is over $4500 from GM but, some with comparable quality can be had for $1500. Is the OEM that much better.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:13 AM   #13
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin19 View Post
Take the rear wing on the ZL/1E. It is over $4500 from GM but, some with comparable quality can be had for $1500. Is the OEM that much better.
Right, that's one part that definitely wouldn't make financial sense to add afterwards to a non-ZL1 1LE car. It's $4050 from shop chevy parts: https://www.shopchevyparts.com/spoil...-92309515.html

Is there a carbon fiber aftermarket alternative?

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:28 AM   #14
Bob RS

Searching for a front splitter for my 2019 camaro rs. RDI Designs has one that is identical that I just recently found and priced at $299. Gm/ Accessories has one also that will fit and there price is $550, gm parts Direct price $469.