Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-06-2021, 01:33 AM   #1
Andy 91GTA

Drives: 91 GTA, 92 GTA, 92 GTA
Summer Daily Driver ZL1 Convertible vs 2SS Convertible Opinions

On April 8th, my wife and I are planning on ordering a black 2022 ZL1 convertible or a loaded black 2022 2SS convertible. The car will be ordered with an automatic. It will be my wife’s summer daily driver.

20 years ago, my wife owned a black 81 Z28 and she wants to relive her youth again by ordering a new Camaro. I have owned my 91 GTA since 1997 and I also own 2 1992 GTA’s. One of my 92 GTA’s is mildly modded with approximately 285 hp. I have taken 2 of them to the drag strip quite a bit over the years.

In Canadian dollars, a loaded 2SS vert is approximately $79,500 how we would order it while a ZL1 vert is approximately $83,400. For not much of a price difference, we can upgrade to a ZL1 which I feel will hold its value better and be more collectible. We would probably keep this car for a very long time.

The car will be parked in winter and my wife has a Hyundai Sante Fe XL Limited to drive during that time or if the weather is crappy in the summer. The car will be primarily driven by her but she is concerned about how hard it will be to daily drive a 650 hp convertible. She has never owned or driven anything with that kind of power. She did test drive a 2021 2SS vert on the highway this winter that she liked but she did not push the car due to how cold it was. We live in Saskatchewan, Canada.

She is also concerned about the suede seats/interior getting dirty. How hard is suede to keep clean in ZL1’s?

The cost of gas, maintenance , insurance, etc., isn’t a concern. Constructive opinions requested. Thanks.
Andy 91GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 06:46 AM   #2
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I would opt out for the ZL1 as it will be the better choice in my opinion. Since gas mileage is no real concern and cost of the car either you and the wife will enjoy the ZL1 more than the SS. The alcantara is not that bad to deal with, just buy some cleaner and keep it clean. Other members can chime in on the brands to buy as there are several to choose from. The ZL1 has about 200 more horsepower than the SS and will take some seat time to get adjusted to it but both of you will find that it has good street manners until you kick it in and then hang on. Oh and that supercharger whine is music to my ears. Good luck and whichever one you choose will be a good decision!
Old 04-06-2021, 10:35 AM   #3
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
That price difference is extremely low, hard to believe GM are giving you a supercharger practically for free, the price delta between the 2SS vert and the ZL1 vert is >20K US dollars on Chevrolet's online config builder... but if that's the case, it's a no brainer for the ZL1.

If, however, in reality the ZL1 is about 25K CAD more expensive than the SS, as it should be, I would seriously consider the SS, not sure how much you or your wife need the 200 extra hp. Daily driving a ZL1 should not be an issue, especially with her past experience, the car is just as "tame" as an SS unless the skinny pedal is pushed in too deep.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 02:16 PM   #4
Staves

Drives: women crazy
If $$$ is no object ZL1 for sure. If it is, SS. Pretty sure the ZL1 power will hardly if ever be utilized by the wife. SS is plenty fast as is.
Old 04-06-2021, 03:19 PM   #5
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
The micro suede is easy to maintain... a damp rag, a light wipe down and finish up with a horse hair brush (or similar).

The SS and the Z feel the same as far as power goes, until ~ 50% throttle.

I’ve said this in other posts...The one thing I really don’t like about the Z, is getting in and out (especially getting out, it can be a PIA). As well, you’ll always have to be fully aware of the front spoiler on the Z, inclines, speed bumps, curbs etc.

Overall, for me :

Z vert + 4 power, looks, exclusivity, recaro’s (once seated)

SS vert + 5 easier entry and exit, less concern over front scraping / or breakage, more tire and wheel options, still a very fast car for less $, no unnecessary heat exchangers that could fail (unless you’re going to race it, then get the Z)

Both cars give off tons of brake dust from the Brembos... more the Z than the SS, just because of the larger surface area. If she’s concerned about cleaning, then be prepared to to install a different low dust pad.

BTW... you started me thinking about my 87 GTA.... should have kept it. I ended up unloading it because it was hit by a motorcyclist blowing through a flashing red in South Boston. (Pic was documentation for insurance).
Attached Images

Last edited by Chutzpah; 04-06-2021 at 03:35 PM.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 03:35 PM   #6
Callaway SC630

Drives: 2020 Callaway Camaro SC630
If you get the ZL1, you will not notice the price difference over the years and you will never ask yourself a horrible question over and over, what if...
Old 04-06-2021, 04:45 PM   #7
DrBlockHed

Drives: 18 ZL1 Convertible
I have a 2018 convertible ZL1, it’s the only choice. The interior isn’t difficult to keep clean, it can be as tame as you want it to be when driving. It’s a pretty comfortable ride overall, easy to DD. Like someone else mentioned, if you get an SS there is the possibility of the “what if”. With the Zl1 you’ll never look back - and for that price difference??? To me it’s a no brainer.

Best of luck with your decision!
DrBlockHed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 05:21 PM   #8
Big Lebowski

Drives: 022 C8 Z51 Red Mist HTC
After driving Corvettes for 17 years, and more recently a C7 Z06 Vert, I picked up a lightly used 2020 ZL1 M6 Convertible late this past Winter. There were a few factors, most notibaly the benefits of the more upright seated position in the ZL1 after spinal fusion surgery last Fall.

The ZL1 is an absolute blast to drive. Stupid fun. It will be my DD 8 months out of the year, similar to yours. The pull and supercharger whine is intoxicating and highly addictive. The only “con” I can add, is it does seem to inhale gasoline a little faster than the Z06 and I’m not sure why... but while I’m conscious of that, I didn’t buy it for the fuel economy.
Attached Images

Last edited by Big Lebowski; 04-06-2021 at 09:24 PM.
Big Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 05:32 PM   #9
L98 Z28

Drives: 2017 ZL1 6spd Convertible NFG
Love my '17 ZL1 convertible. Great driving car.
L98 Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 06:55 PM   #10
Jofu

Drives: 2022 Wild Cherry ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lebowski View Post
After driving Corvettes for 17 years, and more recently a C7 Z06 Vert, I picked up a lightly used 2020 ZL1 M6 Convertible. There were a few factors, most notibaly the benefits of the more upright seated position after spinal fusion surgery last Fall.

The ZL1 is an absolute blast to drive. It will be my DD 8 moon the out of the year, similar to yours. The pull and supercharger whine is intoxicating and highly addictive. The only “con” I can add, is it does seem to inhale gasoline a little faster than the Z06 and I’m not sure why... but while I’m conscious of that, I didn’t buy it for the fuel economy.
Nice car! But damn you're brave parking the ZL1 under the Volvo with the top open

By the way we got a 2020 XC60 T8 for my wife over a year ago. We actually went to pick it up in Sweden via their Euro delivery program. The trip was mega awesome, although it was a bit cold in Sweden and Norway where we spent the whole week, as it was the end of October 2019. Nice car, but I'm scared everyday it might break on me

Geoff
Jofu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 07:50 PM   #11
Big Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jofu View Post
Nice car! But damn you're brave parking the ZL1 under the Volvo with the top open

By the way we got a 2020 XC60 T8 for my wife over a year ago. We actually went to pick it up in Sweden via their Euro delivery program. The trip was mega awesome, although it was a bit cold in Sweden and Norway where we spent the whole week, as it was the end of October 2019. Nice car, but I'm scared everyday it might break on me

Geoff
Lol, no issues so far after a few XC90’s and multiple Jeep Grand Cherokees overhead. Ironically, the only thing to ever leak on any car on the bottom was the hydraulics from the lift.

Trip sounds like a blast...but cold 🥶
Old 04-06-2021, 09:30 PM   #12
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy 91GTA View Post
On April 8th, my wife and I are planning on ordering a black 2022 ZL1 convertible or a loaded black 2022 2SS convertible. The car will be ordered with an automatic. It will be my wife’s summer daily driver.

20 years ago, my wife owned a black 81 Z28 and she wants to relive her youth again by ordering a new Camaro. I have owned my 91 GTA since 1997 and I also own 2 1992 GTA’s. One of my 92 GTA’s is mildly modded with approximately 285 hp. I have taken 2 of them to the drag strip quite a bit over the years.

In Canadian dollars, a loaded 2SS vert is approximately $79,500 how we would order it while a ZL1 vert is approximately $83,400. For not much of a price difference, we can upgrade to a ZL1 which I feel will hold its value better and be more collectible. We would probably keep this car for a very long time.

The car will be parked in winter and my wife has a Hyundai Sante Fe XL Limited to drive during that time or if the weather is crappy in the summer. The car will be primarily driven by her but she is concerned about how hard it will be to daily drive a 650 hp convertible. She has never owned or driven anything with that kind of power. She did test drive a 2021 2SS vert on the highway this winter that she liked but she did not push the car due to how cold it was. We live in Saskatchewan, Canada.

She is also concerned about the suede seats/interior getting dirty. How hard is suede to keep clean in ZL1’s?

The cost of gas, maintenance , insurance, etc., isn’t a concern. Constructive opinions requested. Thanks.
Sonax Alcantara cleaner for the interior. Very easy to clean.

If you go ZL1, and I strongly recommend that you do so, then get some Michelin PS4S tires on the car right away. The stock goodyears are horrible in the wet. You can sell the OEM tires easily on this forum to track folks, or keep them for collectibility.

303 fabric guard for the top and a top shelf self-healing PPF all the way around for the paint, especially black!
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 11:11 PM   #13
Pupilbone

Drives: 2019 Crush ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy 91GTA View Post

I’ve owned both cars in the 6th Generation. I started with a 2017 loaded 2SS, and then moved to a ZL1 when I was ready for more... (sorry no ragtop experience).

As a Canadian I can vouch for very little difference in price between a loaded SS or the ZL1, and can say the SS was a brilliantly balanced car. Very quick, and just a pleasure to drive while cruising or pushing it.

Two major differences between the cars that I noticed:

1). While I loved the 2SS leather seats (I had the two tone ceramic), the ZL1 Alacantra Recaros really stick you in place. This can be great while driving in a spirited fashion, but this also adds to the cockpit tight feeling while just cruising imo.

2). The ZL1 is quick, really stupid super duper quick. With the nannies all on she’s still a bit of a handful. While this isn’t a great combo for 8 out of 12 months in Saskatchewan, neither is the SS, so this point is moot. (I’m a native Albertan, and spent 42 years with real prairie winters, trust me i get it).

All in all once I got really comfortable throwing my SS about, I wanted more. That said, I certainly didn’t need more. The main thing I knew is once I had driven a 6th Gen, I knew it was a special car, one that for me was worth keeping for the longer haul. A ZL1 was within my means, checked all the boxes, and I knew the Z would free me from asking the “what if” questions... Add to this my wife was on board, so we made it happen.

In Saskatchewan I agree, a ZL1 will be very rare, even more so than an SS, and definitely a ZL1 is a conversation piece. Both are brilliant well appointed cars. The real question is... will the SS not check every box for you? For me, my third Camaro was short lived, but my 4th... she’ll be around for a long time.

Good luck with the order, and get in soon before these beauties are gone!
Old 04-07-2021, 09:12 AM   #14
Big Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Sonax Alcantara cleaner for the interior. Very easy to clean.

If you go ZL1, and I strongly recommend that you do so, then get some Michelin PS4S tires on the car right away. The stock goodyears are horrible in the wet. You can sell the OEM tires easily on this forum to track folks, or keep them for collectibility.

303 fabric guard for the top and a top shelf self-healing PPF all the way around for the paint, especially black!
I'll second Gunkk's tire replacement recommendation. I however went with the Continental Extreme Contact Sport after a buddy with ZL1 recommended them. I bought my ZL1 late winter and had the dealer install them before I took delivery and I've had zero issues in cold or wet. Dealer sold a set to me for $1100, and I sold my GY's w/ 6k miles for $600 on Facebook locally. Well worth it at $1100, but even better at $500 upgrade. Its a convertible and will never see a track. Even drove it comfortably into the 20's with no chatter or slippage under hard acceleration. As I got used to them in the cold, I drove them harder and harder and to my surprise, only got them to slip once. Very quiet tire.