Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

AWE Tuning

Old 03-23-2021, 08:49 AM   #1
Jarek

Drives: 2017 2SS Convertible
[SOLVED] Run-flats on SS - mandatory or optional

Hello,

I have a question to the respected Camaro 6gen owners.
I have seen a lot of discussions on this forum regarding run-flats but wanted to make sure about one thing - electronic stability systems setup and suspension setup.
If there is a dedicated thread on that topic, admins please move my post there.

I have read on the Internet (not the most reliable source of info, I know) that some cars are designed to run only on the tires the same type that factory equipped them with.
And that if car is equipped with different type of tires, in case of emergency, stability control systems (ESP, TCS... whatever more there is in there nowadays) may react wrongly due to slightly different measurements coming to them from the wheels as the regular non-Run-Flat tires are lighter and softer than the original ones.
Also suspension itself may be tuned for the harder Run-Flats (to provide proper ride comfort) and will be much too soft with regular tires (this may be partially mitigated with XL tires I assume).

So my question is do we know how is the case with 6gen Camaro SS?
Were there any reported cases of car acting weird on regular tires? Or being to soft?
In case of 2SS (that rolled out of factory on GY Asymmetric 3 Run-Flat) that would mean that replacement tires should be Run-Flat type as well.
Or maybe no change at all and tire choice depends on the preference only (non-Run-Flats being cheaper, and easier in maintenance)?

Looking forward to your thoughts on that.

BR,
Jarek

Last edited by Jarek; 08-17-2022 at 05:14 AM. Reason: topic solved
Jarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 09:19 AM   #2
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
After two sets of GY run flats I switched to Continental Extreme Contact Sports in the stock sizes. This tire is rated as a summer high performance tire just like the GY OEM tires. I have about 600 mile on them and am very glad I switched. The Conti's are quieter and smoother without giving up anything for traction and corner grip. I have had no issues with the stability, traction and safety functions.

Bottom line - if you stick to the stock sizes there will be no issues. There is a margin of error on increasing or decreasing tire diameter that can cause issues and errors. I think its around +/- 3% but others wiser than me may chime in with better facts on the effects of non stock sizes.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 09:20 AM   #3
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
I concur with SSDan

The largest problem perhaps to a certain point in deviating from stock sizing is the diameter and how much your speedometer and odometer are going to be off as in indicated speed won't be the actual speed your moving at, up or down.
WhiteMale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 09:32 AM   #4
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
You can replace them with the same size non-run flat tires which will be quieter than the run-flats. There's plenty of choices for a 2SS, summer performance, all-season, touring, etc..... But, get a can of fix a flat in a can or some other means in case you get a puncture so you don't get stranded. That's the convenience of run-flats. I changed my GY's to all season performance tires.

Pozdrowienia
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 11:04 AM   #5
Jarek

Drives: 2017 2SS Convertible
Thank you
I am thinking about keeping stock tire sizes 245/40R20 and 275/35R20 so the wheel dimensions remain the same.
So far nobody reported any issues with suspension and electronics.
In this case I will stick to the Run-Flats for the summer set to check if they are as noisy as you say and ride comfort (some roads in PL are pretty bumpy) and then probably will get non-Run-Flats for winter.
This will give me some comparison about the next set for summer.

For the puncture issue - what is your experience? I assume that if you have tire pressure monitoring then you should not get caught unaware during the ride (computer should sound an alert when pressure drops, right?).
So the only option is that it will not drop significantly during the ride and you will find your ride sitting on flat tire next morning what gives 2 options - call for road assistance for the tow or if you have a hand pump to pump some air into the tire and limp to the nearest tire repair shop.
For the fix-a-flat sets with sealant there were discussion on the forum that they may be bad for the sensors (so there is a risk here).
The ultimate solution (apart from Run-Flats) is the Continental tires with Conti-Seal (sticky coat on the inside of the tire that seals itself over the puncturing object).

BR,
Jarek

Last edited by Jarek; 03-23-2021 at 11:34 AM.
Jarek is offline   Reply With Quote