Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-07-2017, 01:17 PM   #15
Slem

Drives: 2016 Summit White 2SS (Auto) Loaded
I have also smelt this, have not noticed it lately but i seemed to notice it more in the summer
Slem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:39 AM   #16
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
Ok...Had a chance to look under the car while it was up on a lift and have a good look around underneath the car.....Not sure if this is the same for everyone that's having this oil smell when coming to a stop (but at least it's a place to look); however, what I've found that I believe is the source of the oil leak in my car was the oil level sensor and/or o-ring seal. It is on the passenger side of the oil pan just below the starter. The hole is a thru hole meaning it goes thru the oil pan, so the only thing keeping the oil in the pan is the o-ring that seals the sensor hole. It seems to slowly bleeds out from the o-ring seal for the sensor. There is a protrusion below it (I think it's to protect stuff coming up and damage the sensor) and it was covered in oil. There was oil residue from the sensor area and coming down that side of the oil pan (but nothing above the sensor), it then gets blown backwards towards the transmission bell housing area. And guess what is right below that area....yup, exhaust pipe and cat-converter. It's difficult to see unless you get under the car as it's not a fast leak. I've cleaned the oil pan is definitely get glossy again after a couple of days. Since the oil pan is not a smooth the oil gets caught in the nooks and crannies of the cast aluminum which is why it takes a while to build up.
I personally think it got bumped or damaged after the transmission cooler line recall as the line that gets replaced is also in that area.....I'm putting my observations here while fresh in my head and hope it helps anyone else out......I've moved on as I got a ZL1 yesterday.

Last edited by nancygrl; 03-12-2017 at 10:55 AM.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote