Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

View Poll Results: Is Michael Dunn guilty or not guilty?
Guilty 41 71.93%
Not guilty 16 28.07%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2014, 01:06 PM   #43
Rob3D

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsblueray2013 View Post
I disagree starting this thread on a "car" forum. Totally off topic. And we shouldn't take a poll to judge something most of us don't know the real facts.
You should have voted on the poll asking what kind of forum this thread should have been placed in. Oh wait, there wasn't one because I could give a shit less where you think I should post anything. If you didn't have anything productive to add to the conversation, then why not keep your big mouth shut?
Rob3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:09 PM   #44
Rob3D

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoticus.rex View Post
I was not stating the jury verdict here, I was stating my opinion. He is not guilty of 1st degree murder in my opinion and I believe the prosecutor was over-reaching with this charge. I think 2nd degree murder would have been a more appropriate charge. 1st degree murder requires premeditation. You planned to go out and kill someone. 2nd degree murder is spur of the moment. You got pissed off and decided to kill someone at that point in time. So unless the prosecutor was convinced that Mr. Dunn went out that day with the intent of killing someone, it is going to be really difficult to convict him on a 1st degree murder charge regardless of other circumstances in the case.
Agreed. Even though premeditation could have been seconds before the act. This guy just made a looooooooong list bad decisions. Real bad decisions.
Rob3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:20 PM   #45
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
I was not stating the jury verdict here, I was stating my opinion. He is not guilty of 1st degree murder in my opinion and I believe the prosecutor was over-reaching with this charge. I think 2nd degree murder would have been a more appropriate charge. 1st degree murder requires premeditation. You planned to go out and kill someone. 2nd degree murder is spur of the moment. You got pissed off and decided to kill someone at that point in time. So unless the prosecutor was convinced that Mr. Dunn went out that day with the intent of killing someone, it is going to be really difficult to convict him on a 1st degree murder charge regardless of other circumstances in the case.
You've obviously never have been around magistrates or know the law.

When magistrates initially charge someone, they have to charge them with the highest appropriate charge because of the way the law is written. In the case of a murder, even if they think it was an accident which is 3rd degree, they have to charge him with 1st degree. The reason being is they can always lessen the charge but they can not increase it. If you've ever been chosen for jury duty, you're told this before hand. If you think someone is guilty but don't think the evidence supports 1st degree, you can find him guilty of a lesser charge like 2nd, 3rd, or manslaughter.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:22 PM   #46
Front Runner

Drives: 2016 Nightfall Gray Metallic SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GbrilliantQ View Post
I don't even know why it took this long. The man is guilty. The guy goes to his car gets his gun, goes back to the unarmed kids car and unloads the entire magazine. Picks up his wife and orders a pizza. Why are we even debating this.

Sent from my Transformer

Quote:
Not Guilt on 1st Degree Murder. That is a common over reach by the prosecutor. If the prosecutor retries him for 1st Degree again, he will mistrial or lose again.

2nd Degree is debatable as to whether or not you buy his self defense scenario. Don't know all the facts and was not there, so I will leave that as an open question.

Guilty as convicted for the attempted murder charges. Once they were fleeing and he kept shooting into the fleeing vehicle, he crossed the line from self defense.

I would say that his not having called the police on the spot leaves me suspicious of his intentions and leads me to believe he knew at a minimum that he had crossed the line.

Just my two cents on the issue.
Quote:
If they come at him again with 2nd degree murder, I think he'll be found guilty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
You've obviously never have been around magistrates or know the law.

When magistrates initially charge someone, they have to charge them with the highest appropriate charge because of the way the law is written. In the case of a murder, even if they think it was an accident which is 3rd degree, they have to charge him with 1st degree. The reason being is they can always lessen the charge but they can not increase it. If you've ever been chosen for jury duty, you're told this before hand. If you think someone is guilty but don't think the evidence supports 1st degree, you can find him guilty of a lesser charge like 2nd, 3rd, or manslaughter.
Didn't follow this trial that close, did the judge give the jury those options?

2016 Nightfall Gray Camaro SS
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:57 PM   #47
SSmoothie

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6SP Blk/Blk
Quote:
Originally Posted by GbrilliantQ View Post
I don't even know why it took this long. The man is guilty. The guy goes to his car gets his gun, goes back to the unarmed kids car and unloads the entire magazine. Picks up his wife and orders a pizza. Why are we even debating this.

Sent from my Transformer
Because at certain situations you could be found innocent.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:29 PM   #48
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
I wander if the music was different would he have been adgitated enough to do what he did? I know if it were hard rock I probably would have told them to turn it up. I listen to my stuff pretty loud at times, never had anyone give me greif!

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote