Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-15-2014, 08:25 AM   #15
19car69

Drives: 2012 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfriend View Post
But you forgot , conveniently the cost of those two beers !
He already had the beer and was going to drink it anyway, so no need to count.
2012 1LS, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Apex scoop, Apex water bottle relocation, VMax Ported TB, Vitesse Throttle Controller, BMR Sway bars, BMR 1.2" drop springs, Koni rear shocks, Elite catch can, Solo Performance V6 Mach X-LFX Cat-Back Exhaust, Hex Vents, 1LE strut tower brace, Barton short throw, separate clutch reservoir, American Racing TORQ THRUST M 18X9, HiTS radio with reverse camera, GM Blade Dovetail spoiler, 2010 leather wrap steering wheel, vented engine cover, added Homelink to overhead console.
19car69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:47 AM   #16
DesertCamaro

Drives: Fast
If I do it myself, I found I'll never be happy with it (always find something wrong, even if very minute). If I let someone else do it, hey, at least I can b*tch and blame someone else

But, I'm also cheap.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:48 AM   #17
the_fast_one

Drives: 2017 red hot zl1
When I was diesel mechanic I paid to have somebody do my cam install and tuning. Last thing I wanted to do when I was off work was work on my car. I did the easy stuff like headers, springs, and sway bars though.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:58 AM   #18
Smokey jr.

Drives: 2011 inferno orange camaro
Did all the work on my car...it was the pride factor...and the cost...and knowing it was done right...and nothing will give you more satisfaction when somebody walks up and asks who did it?
Smokey jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:59 AM   #19
Fish-man

Drives: too many to say!
also depends on what you want to:
1- spend your time on
2- spend your $ on

Some projects you can spend as much in tools as the parts... some projects you spend a lot of time trying to figure things out and learn. I always consider those things in determining if I want to do it myself...

And no, not everything is DIY-able. Can't make tires in your garage. Casting a wheel or engine block would be shitty. Those are extreme cases, but just something to explain my reasoning.
Fish-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:22 AM   #20
sscamaro

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2017 Silverado LTZ
I change the oil & filter myself, cost $45.00. I've installed all the other mods, listed below, myself with the exception of stripes and dyno tune. The ones not listed below that I also did are the Heritage Grille, lower grille, ceramic brake pads, floor lighting and afterburner LED taillights. As soon as the weather gets warmer I'm installing a clutch reservoir relocation kit and Gen5DIY backup camera kit. I'm retired so time isn't a problem and I get the satisfaction that I did it myself.
2010 2SS/RS Victory Red, MN6, 1-7/8 Kooks LT Headers, SLP Axle Back, Edelbrock E-Force S/C, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 72# Injectors, JRE fuel rail upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite Catch Can, Billet Hurst Shifter, DSS 1000HP axles, Spohn Trailing Arms, Toe Links, Lower Control Arms. Chrome American Racing Torq-Thrust wheels. 546/rwhp & 522/rwtq & 10.9# boost Tune by Jeremy Formato.

Last edited by sscamaro; 01-15-2014 at 10:32 AM.
sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:35 AM   #21
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
I've done all the work to my car myself. Savings as follows:

Headers & exhaust system: $300
CAI: $75
Cam, springs, oil pump: $1500+
Differential: $500

Net savings: $2375. This savings will go toward more mods. Total personal time spent on projects: 15 hrs. A small price to pay. Oil changes aren't included even though I do them myself, but labor is usually minimal at the dealer.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:19 PM   #22
Jcm

Drives: 2011 ss
I had grey leather seats and wanted black leather seats..the upholsterer wanted $1000+$400 labor..I found the black leather covers, here for $600.
I did it myself with help from the DIY section..in about 3 easy hours..
Then sold my grey covers for $600 here..
What a great blog site ...thanks..
Also did my gm dove tail spoiler, that was a challenge @ 3 hours.
Vinyl bow ties..easy.pick up scraps at any vinyl sign shop.or couple $ at hobby lobby,,Cut a piece a little larger than the bow tie, pull backing ,stick in place,,use a sharp utility knife to trim...
Jcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:40 PM   #23
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
Everything depends on the skill of the DIY'er. You have to be honest with yourself on that aspect. I've seen people who would need a total kitchen rebuild after making themselves a PBJ.