Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 07-09-2015, 10:23 AM   #43
jayno20
Go fast, please.

Drives: 2019 Corvette ZR1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO6 Bryan View Post
I think the GT9 cam would trash the stock springs in no time. That cam is known for being hard on the valvetrain.
is there any cam that could be run without upgrading the springs, etc.?
jayno20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:27 AM   #44
Livernois Motorsports

Drives: 2010 Camaro 454 LSX (SOLD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitefifthgen View Post
Livernois due you have any video clips of your 2c cam for the zl1. My car is an automatic.

Here are the best two we have for idle. These have the 2c-hl, but idle is nearly identical. Even with 2 of them next to each other it would be hard to tell the difference for me.
Livernois Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:33 AM   #45
Livernois Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayno20 View Post
is there any cam that could be run without upgrading the springs, etc.?
There likely are ones advertised as such, but you have to ask yourself why you would want to do so. Adding a bigger cam pushed the spring past it's design limit, making valve float more likely. In doing so, you cause the rocker arm and lifter to load and unload, which then causes the lifter, or rocker to fail. Many people forget that the LS9 uses a shorter installed height on the spring, which puts more seat pressure on it, making the same spring more capable, AND it also has lighter valves, making it less likely to float in the first place. Our stance is any cam change should have a spring change done as well to help protect the engine.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:59 PM   #46
JDP Motorsports

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/ 2016 Camaro SS
The JDP ZL1R Camshaft used in our ZL-850 and ZL-1000 builds sounds excellent, offers excellent drivability and makes awesome power. It is a 5150 Billet core and the lobe design is very easy on the valvetrain.

I'll get a better idle video but you can hear it in this video.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
JDP Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:32 PM   #47
jayno20
Go fast, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livernois Motorsports View Post
There likely are ones advertised as such, but you have to ask yourself why you would want to do so. Adding a bigger cam pushed the spring past it's design limit, making valve float more likely. In doing so, you cause the rocker arm and lifter to load and unload, which then causes the lifter, or rocker to fail. Many people forget that the LS9 uses a shorter installed height on the spring, which puts more seat pressure on it, making the same spring more capable, AND it also has lighter valves, making it less likely to float in the first place. Our stance is any cam change should have a spring change done as well to help protect the engine.
I have a local shop that will do the cam install for about 700, but I assume installing new springs, etc. will raise that price considerably, correct?
Old 07-09-2015, 10:21 PM   #48
ZO6 Bryan

Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
Quote:
I have a local shop that will do the cam install for about 700, but I assume installing new springs, etc. will raise that price considerably, correct?
They will have to have it torn down enough already that it should be much more trouble. Valve covers will already be off and rockers will already be off.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:45 AM   #49
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
Quote:
Springs aren't that hard to change with the heads on the car. There is a special tool to compress the springs as a pair and swap them out. Any reputable shop has done this many times and shouldn't add that much to the labor bill.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:42 AM   #50
Livernois Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
Springs aren't that hard to change with the heads on the car. There is a special tool to compress the springs as a pair and swap them out. Any reputable shop has done this many times and shouldn't add that much to the labor bill.
this

also, you have to looks at long term cost. If you do a cam swap and care about saving money up front by skimping on parts vs. what it can do to your engine , you're going about modding the wrong way.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:25 AM   #51
jayno20
Go fast, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livernois Motorsports View Post
this

also, you have to looks at long term cost. If you do a cam swap and care about saving money up front by skimping on parts vs. what it can do to your engine , you're going about modding the wrong way.
That's why I asked if there was a cam that could be run without having to change the springs. I don't want to cause damage, but I was just wondering if there was one out there that didn't require the other stuff to be changed as well...

But if it doesn't add anything to the labor cost then it doesn't really matter.

Do any of these cams come with a kit that includes the springs, etc?
Old 07-10-2015, 06:19 PM   #52
Livernois Motorsports

Quote:
That's why I asked if there was a cam that could be run without having to change the springs. I don't want to cause damage, but I was just wondering if there was one out there that didn't require the other stuff to be changed as well...

But if it doesn't add anything to the labor cost then it doesn't really matter.

Do any of these cams come with a kit that includes the springs, etc?
It's always a mixed bag asking questions like that on forums though, not everyone is as straightforward and honest when it comes to certain things as we strive to be. And in all fairness, not many people know the deeper rooted reasoning into why certain things should, or shouldn't be done. They regurgitate information they have read, or heard.

The aftermarket has the unfortunate habit of doing very little testing. To most shops/companies/individuals, you test out something by installing it, and not having problems. Same thing with calling a part better than stock. If the stock part broke, and the aftermarket part didn't, that means aftermarket is better, right? It sounds like the answer should be yes, but it usually is not the case.

Why am I saying this? well, our background was in the OEM development world, so we understand what proper design, testing, and validation truly is. We also take the time to understand the OEM components in the first place as well, which helps us understand how to truly improve upon them.

In the case of an LS9 cam, or any cam advertised to work with stock springs, most of this "validation" is simply installing it, and not having a problem. Or worse (and probably more often the case) they do have a problem, and blame it on some other component being the culprit.

And, as far as cams that come with springs, we do have a bundle that comes with springs, pushrods, timing sprocket, cam bolts, and balancer bolt.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:46 AM   #53
Albusaidi

Drives: Camaro ZL1 2014
hi
I would like to know about night fury cam for the camaro ZL1 and how many hp it will add ??
Albusaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:11 AM   #54
EvilZL1
Snake Eater

Drives: 2012 AGM ZL1
I will never know what cam I will go with once I get things done, nearly a hard thing to decide when I like a deep lope and want to keep drivability with a tremendous hp gain when combo'd with pulleys and meth

Make sure you don’t forget to subscribe to my channel! More content on the way. Like, share with your friends
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9Z...sP2wjsLLFeP1zQ

Follow me on instagram:
http://www.instagram.com/snkeatr/
EvilZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote