Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-07-2020, 03:44 AM   #1
Att3mpt

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2015 2SS RS
Heartbeat vs Whipple pros and cons?

I’m looking into a supercharger, and was wondering if anyone can share their experience on either of the system.

Here’s what I know...
The two super chargers are different sizes so there is no “true comparison”.
A twinscrew (Whipple) in general runs cooler and more efficient compared to a roots style blower.
But Heartbeat is suppose to have a better cooling system and it also fits directly into 2015 hood without any mods. (Would prefer to keep hood and the scoop since it’s my DD and I do not have a garage... worried that rain will soak the engine bay...)

My question: does the Heartbeat run “cooler” than the Whipple? And for people with 2014-2015 with Whipple, how do you guys deal with it? Lastly, what are some other mods I should take to prepare for supercharger? Currently full bolt on.

Thanks
Att3mpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 06:45 AM   #2
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
If you can't fit the whipple with stock hood then it sounds like you will be getting the heartbeat, both are great. Peak power you can get a little more with the whipple, but are you going to take it to 950whp? probably not.
What's your end goal. Do the fuel system for end goals. under 700WHP my fuel system is about as cheap as it gets (other than the injectors) and works for up to 750whp with my tuner on 93 octane. Will you be running E? If so you need a DSX aux pump or a dual/triple pump setup if getting over 600whp(ish). Will likely need ID1300's if going E and going max effort. You are going to get wheel spin/hop. See suspension mods in signature. Solid cradle bushings are best. I did inserts, easier to install but I do get a little shake once in a while. trailing arms, toe links a must. If you do the cam you need upgraded springs, do the trunnion CHE bushings or BTR V2 bearings upgrade, most say Mellling oil pump as well, but I didn't stayed stock (Lazy, maybe I'll regret it someday) Good airbox. CAI is one of the top according to Jannetty Racing tests. The other stuff will come with the kit.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:13 AM   #3
Excavator3000

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS
And how does Edelbrock E-Force compare to those?
Excavator3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 12:15 PM   #4
Greenhornet2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excavator3000 View Post
And how does Edelbrock E-Force compare to those?
From what I've read it is towards the bottom of the list. I believe they have heat problems but don't quote me on that.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Old 12-08-2020, 01:41 AM   #5
Att3mpt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhornet2 View Post
If you can't fit the whipple with stock hood then it sounds like you will be getting the heartbeat, both are great. Peak power you can get a little more with the whipple, but are you going to take it to 950whp? probably not.
What's your end goal. Do the fuel system for end goals. under 700WHP my fuel system is about as cheap as it gets (other than the injectors) and works for up to 750whp with my tuner on 93 octane. Will you be running E? If so you need a DSX aux pump or a dual/triple pump setup if getting over 600whp(ish). Will likely need ID1300's if going E and going max effort. You are going to get wheel spin/hop. See suspension mods in signature. Solid cradle bushings are best. I did inserts, easier to install but I do get a little shake once in a while. trailing arms, toe links a must. If you do the cam you need upgraded springs, do the trunnion CHE bushings or BTR V2 bearings upgrade, most say Mellling oil pump as well, but I didn't stayed stock (Lazy, maybe I'll regret it someday) Good airbox. CAI is one of the top according to Jannetty Racing tests. The other stuff will come with the kit.
thanks for the detail reply. I'm not looking to get to 950whp lol so Maggie would probably suffice. just a feeling of "damn I wish I bought the other because it provides more room to grow..." Do you by chance know if Maggie run cooler or not?
Old 12-08-2020, 03:35 AM   #6
Yellow 1
Grumpy Grey-haired Guy

Drives: Camaro, Corvette & Merc C300(daily)
I went Magi HB three years back - no regrets at all. Nice kit, well-engineered, looks like it's factory-fitted. I have other supporting mods so can't tell you the gains of the HB alone but I get a solid 700+ at the crank. Nice whine to it when you kick her and gas mileage (if it's a concern) isn't badly affected. The coolant piping and radiator set-up is neat and after beating her hard the feed pipe is cool to the touch. I have a Rotofab inlet that's "boxed-off" from the engine bay to try reduce IAT. Seems to all come together well, the car is a hoot to drive.
Old 12-08-2020, 06:00 AM   #7
Southern Comfort
No Tags/Habitual Violator

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS & z71
Might get more relevant answers if we know more about your concern of heat.
Performance, longevity or road manners?
And for those who answer, state your driving profile.
Weekend drag or Road racer, 5 mile or 1 hr city commuter, garage queen?

Last edited by Southern Comfort; 12-08-2020 at 06:01 AM. Reason: Not awake when first posted
Southern Comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 12:12 PM   #8
Att3mpt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Comfort View Post
Might get more relevant answers if we know more about your concern of heat.
Performance, longevity or road manners?
And for those who answer, state your driving profile.
Weekend drag or Road racer, 5 mile or 1 hr city commuter, garage queen?
Looking at around 650 -700 Whp.
During the summer it gets hot where I stay at least 100 degree.
Idk what road manners you are referring to lol. I do like to drive fast at like 2am lol
Old 12-08-2020, 12:58 PM   #9
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
If your concerned about heat soak go with a centrifical blower. Much fewer problems. If you have VVT, keep it if you go centrifical. Take it out if you go PD blower.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 03:50 AM   #10
Att3mpt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBananaSS View Post
If your concerned about heat soak go with a centrifical blower. Much fewer problems. If you have VVT, keep it if you go centrifical. Take it out if you go PD blower.
Is there a reason to recommend taking out VVT if going positive displacement supercharger?

I also thought about pro chargers before but read that it won’t have as good low end torque which pushed me away from it
Old 12-09-2020, 06:19 AM   #11
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Att3mpt View Post
Is there a reason to recommend taking out VVT if going positive displacement supercharger?

I also thought about pro chargers before but read that it won’t have as good low end torque which pushed me away from it
A PD blower gives real nice low end torque. A centrifical won't respond as quickly. I kept my VVT because I went centrifical. If I had gone with a maggy I would have done the LS3 conversion. The combination got me low 11's at the track and soon 10's.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 09:48 AM   #12
Greenhornet2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Att3mpt View Post
thanks for the detail reply. I'm not looking to get to 950whp lol so Maggie would probably suffice. just a feeling of "damn I wish I bought the other because it provides more room to grow..." Do you by chance know if Maggie run cooler or not?
No, I don't know. Unless you are running it at the track on a road course or doing a 1 mile drag I don't think either will be an issue.
Old 12-12-2020, 09:40 AM   #13
Mauimax3
Mauimax3

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Went with a Maggie 6 months ago. Couldn’t be happier. With the additional mods I made it dyno’d at 670 at the wheels.
Attached Images

Magnuson Supercharger, ZL-1 Fuel Pump, Kenny Belle Boost-a-Pump, Kook's LongTube, BTR Stage II, Trunion upgrade, ATI Superdampner, Nick Williams 102mm, Elite Eng. Can, Borla ATAK exhaust w/flow thru cats, CAI box. BMR Suspension upgrades. Dr Phil tuned.

Last edited by Mauimax3; 12-14-2020 at 11:06 AM.
Mauimax3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 09:37 AM   #14
Greenhornet2

plenty of torque with a centri, it's just not an instant hit like a PD and you don't get it as low in the rpm range. weekend warrior driving in 100 degree weather a PD will be fine. if you are 1 mile racing or road coarse racing might be an issue.

Tags
2014 2015, magnuson heartbeat, supercharger, tempature, whipple