Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-25-2020, 03:20 PM   #1
DNSS2

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Replacing springs with original bolts

I recently swapped stock springs to MBR springs. The install was actually not that hard as long as you have spring compressors and an extra floor jack. My question is, are the suspension bolts single use fasteners? I used original bolts to put everything back together and used proper torque specs per service manual. I will soon take the car to alignment. But I recall reading somewhere that the suspension bolts are all torque to yield or single use fasteners and all need to be replaced once you take them out. Is that correct?

Probably a stupid question. Thanks in advance.
DNSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:33 PM   #2
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
i measured all the suspension bolts new and used. they were all the same. Its legal bull shit.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 12:03 AM   #3
DNSS2

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
i measured all the suspension bolts new and used. they were all the same. Its legal bull shit.
That’s what I thought. They didn’t look compromised at all.

Thanks
DNSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 02:37 AM   #4
Soleil

Drives: Camaro 50th anniversary edition
those bolts are not pre stressed. you can re use them. but of course not 10 times.
Soleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:52 AM   #5
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
I'm installing the FE4 swaybar & handling links as well as the ZLE aluminum bushing kit on my car. I've got everything loose installed, just need to torque the bolts and reinstall the DS and exhaust and I'm done. As JCunningham reported, the length and bolt shank diameters measured the same on the old vs. new bolts.
BTW: For anyone doing the cradle bushings, I highly recommend the JCunningham EZ bushing removal technique that uses a three jaw puller to push the old bushings out. The only downside is you have to drop the exhaust to allow the cradle to drop down far enough to get clearance for the puller. Still far easier than trying to Sawzall or burn out the old bushings.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:13 AM   #6
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
very interesting response by Coded4SS in this thread

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...=502324&page=4
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:42 AM   #7
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSS2 View Post
That’s what I thought. They didn’t look compromised at all.
Torque-to-yield is only one of the reasons that suspension fasteners could be designated as "one time use". Fasteners using various distorted-thread or factory-applied threadlock compound approaches to resisting fastener loosening are also considered one time use.

If it was a running production change that called for the one time use instruction, the reason for "one time use" would not necessarily had to have been the fastener itself failing catastrophically (i.e. breaking).

Norm