Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 01-30-2020, 09:44 PM   #29
Brudda*Termite

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
OP, I speak from experience - the 1LE wheels and tires completely transform the car.

Agree, I did so and major difference. Also recommend Soler products for throttle stuff
Old 01-30-2020, 09:47 PM   #30
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSS2 View Post
Thanks everyone for replying. The reason why I did not go with the 1LE is because I did not find one local for a reasonable price. I got a very good deal on mine SS. Plus 1LEs that I saw did not have the options I wanted for my daily driving like heated/cooling seats, Bose sound system, and 2SS interior additions. I will, however, consider getting the 1LE tires and wheels as suggested. I also want to add the 1LE splitter and rocker panels.
I've recently bought wide wheels/tires as well as the cradle lockout kit from BMR Suspension, and will finally be able to compare the standard 2SS to this "semi-1LE" in proper detail once the weather gets better and the car comes out of hibernation. Can't wait The splitter I already added earlier, along with the standard ZL1 spoiler to balance the splitter's impact.

Honestly, the standard 2SS isn't nearly as bad as the (mildly elitist) 1LE crowd would have you believe. Of course the wheels/tires, suspension, aero and e-diff make a difference, but heck, sometimes reading these comments one would think the SS is some kind of clunker, which couldn't be farther from the truth.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 05:33 AM   #31
plus1zero
Don't tread on me

Drives: 23 Sierra X31, Past 2017 Fifty 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
Congratulations and welcome to the Camaro forum and club! Your SS will never sound like the GT 350 you had though as Ford does have one up on Chevy about the difference in exhaust sound. Enjoy your SS!��
I disagree there. I rented a gt and as good as the rumble was imho it doesn’t compare to an ss
plus1zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 06:35 AM   #32
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
I agree with a lot of people's suggestion of the 1le but obviously the one you wanted wasn't readily available to you. No biggie, while you won't have the eLSD and specific mag ride tuning, with the 1le wheels, tires, and maybe sway bars, it should feel a lot like a 1le as a street car and take the handling back to what you're accustomed to.

The 1le blade spoiler is also nice, but the rockers are zl1 rockers not 1le rockers, tons of aftermarket clone options for those.

I get what you mean about the drivability and willingness to put on miles. My GS was a fantastic daily minus back seats, but there's something about driving the camaro hard, putting on miles without worrying about resale value, and using it liberally that's easier to disgest.
Chevy does offer a 1LE kit which gives the standard SS all the 1LE goodies sans eLSD including the mag ride tune if his SS is equipped with MRC.
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 06:46 AM   #33
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
In hindsight if we only know what we know after having owned both a Camaro and a Mustang. We could have saved thousands of $. Or even perhaps reading deep into the forums. The Mustangs have their own problems- some significant- on the GT bad blocks, piston clearance, some the manual transmission forks failing, etc. The GT 350's oil consumption, etc. And even the Camaro- the A8 issues. When I bought my 2017 Camaro, it was my first automatic in a car ever and I thought what could be bad about it.....my A8 was terrible.....Then I made the same mistake on the Mustang GT....mine had a bad block. So this last time I read and read the forums. Not too many problems with the M6 on the Camaro so I went that route and so far the car has been great.
Old 01-31-2020, 06:57 AM   #34
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFS197 View Post
Not all of them are toolbags. It's the guys I meet in person that I tend to really not jive with. Online, it's not too bad.
That's the complete opposite of most of my experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
I've recently bought wide wheels/tires as well as the cradle lockout kit from BMR Suspension, and will finally be able to compare the standard 2SS to this "semi-1LE" in proper detail once the weather gets better and the car comes out of hibernation. Can't wait The splitter I already added earlier, along with the standard ZL1 spoiler to balance the splitter's impact.

Honestly, the standard 2SS isn't nearly as bad as the (mildly elitist) 1LE crowd would have you believe. Of course the wheels/tires, suspension, aero and e-diff make a difference, but heck, sometimes reading these comments one would think the SS is some kind of clunker, which couldn't be farther from the truth.
Wheels and tires make up 80% of the performance difference. I've said 90% before and gotten yelled at by some of those mild elitist types, but I forget that my 1SS was optioned with mag ride and the 6 pistons and most aren't. I really only wish I knew what that ELSD felt like on the track, oh and the Recaros... The BMR cradle lockout is well worth it.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:23 AM   #35
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
Quote:
Not all of them are toolbags. It's the guys I meet in person that I tend to really not jive with. Online, it's not too bad.
I don't think it matters what car, a large portion of the community is cancer. Mustangs were, well... Mustang people. Can't drive, but think they're gods because they drive a relatively fast car. The Focus ST was ricer bois. It took about two hours to figure out what the Camaro toolboxes were. Any Camaro without a V8 is a waste of metal. I left the facebook page because anytime I showed support for the 2.0T or V6 there were 5 people responding, saying how the V8 is the only option.
foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 10:55 AM   #36
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
That's the complete opposite of most of my experiences.

Wheels and tires make up 80% of the performance difference. I've said 90% before and gotten yelled at by some of those mild elitist types, but I forget that my 1SS was optioned with mag ride and the 6 pistons and most aren't. I really only wish I knew what that ELSD felt like on the track, oh and the Recaros... The BMR cradle lockout is well worth it.
guys that have that eLSD say it transforms the car. But I think that may depend on their track experience level too. I have no experience with it. My favorite set-up was a welded rear end in a 83 Camaro set up for NASA CMC series - that thing would just rotate around a corner like nobodies business. Took awhile to get used to - it's almost like a forced oversteer feeling, and it required to stay hard on the gas in a corner - now that was with a motor making half what a LT1 makes though, so it was a total momentum car.

Randy P really likes it though which carries some weight with me. I would really love to hear his thoughts on comparing a 1LE to a SS with 1LE tires / wheels and brakes. Because does he love the car because of the tire / wheel / suspension tuning package mainly, or does the eLSD really bring it together? No idea.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:37 PM   #37
DNSS2

Thanks all again for replying. Sounds like I should have went with the 1LE. Well, it is too late now. I will just have to make the best with what I have. I just did not find a local 1LE with a decent price. Plus based on the reviews I read, you needed a 1LE only if you were going to track it. Just like getting the GT350R instead of GT350. However, I do miss the MRC. I had it on the GT350. On normal mode, GT350 was actually softer than my current SS without the MRC.

Based on these replies, I will start with secondary cat delete, splitter and rocker panels, and then consider getting the 1lE wheels and tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
This is why I did not even consider a GT350 when upgrading my last SS. Lots of owners talk about what you are saying that it is not so fun driving it for extended periods. ZL1 1LE owners talk about the ride the same way and wish for the standard ZL1. And as for tracking every SS comes with brake ducts, track level brakes, oil, trans, and diff coolers. With better tires the standard SS is not that much slower on a track than the standard GT350. Drivers race. If track times even matter to you. The SS 1LE is an even better track car, but it is about 75-100 pounds of extra weight you have to carry around when not tracking.

Smart choice OP. But I bet your GT350 held its value better than any Camaro would have.
Actually, maybe because it's winter, but I found GT350s for low 40s with less than 5k miles. There was a huge hype with them in early-2015 to 2017. Dealers would mark them up by like 30 percent. But now Ford made too many of them. You can find one with low miles for low 30s. A local dealer still has few new 2018 models for like 12k below MSRP. I actually had a hard time finding an SS for less than 30k with decent miles.

Quote:
I really would have gotten a 1LE if I were making that swap but, I understand if financial woes forced your hand here. I came from a 2018 SS 1LE and I loved every second of my ownership of that car. Often times, however, I don't love the community.

With that being said, I would take a hard look at BMR when the time comes. They can help you to square away the loose suspension of the standard SS. Wheels and tires will help a lot, as it would in any vehicles case but, you're also losing out on the eLSD. Either way, the car is still very capable with a little bit of refinement and attention to detail.

Congrats on the purchase but, that's gotta be a tough pill to swallow. I could never trade the GT350 for a standard Camaro SS.
It was a tough pill to swallow for sure. I will instead invest the $750 per month into a index fund and then pull it out in 6 years and get a C8 Z06 with no payments. It was a smart choice. I hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshjowler View Post
I too went from a Mustang to a Camaro, with a Focus ST in the middle. The Mustang was a 2011 Coyote, I got a screaming deal on it. Wound up with a big ticket getting on it on an on-ramp, and said I want a car that's fun in other ways than flooring it. And that won't be doing triple digits at every whim.

Had the Focus ST for a bit over a year and a half, accomplished what I wanted to with it. Won my class and came second overall at my local club this past season in autocross, and did a couple of HPDEs with it. Decided it was time to go back to RWD, and just picked up a 2017 Camaro 2.0T. I said if it's good enough for Randy Pobst, it's good enough for me. Plus a couple of Chevy guys won CAM at autox Nationals in a 2.0T.
Nice. I also wanted something different. I loved the GT350, but I also love the excitement you get when getting a different car you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmate1 View Post
I think you brought the wrong Camaro.

You should've moved to the SS 1LE.
Apparently that is the consensus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
I agree with a lot of people's suggestion of the 1le but obviously the one you wanted wasn't readily available to you. No biggie, while you won't have the eLSD and specific mag ride tuning, with the 1le wheels, tires, and maybe sway bars, it should feel a lot like a 1le as a street car and take the handling back to what you're accustomed to.

The 1le blade spoiler is also nice, but the rockers are zl1 rockers not 1le rockers, tons of aftermarket clone options for those.

I get what you mean about the drivability and willingness to put on miles. My GS was a fantastic daily minus back seats, but there's something about driving the camaro hard, putting on miles without worrying about resale value, and using it liberally that's easier to disgest.
Yeah. I already put like 500 miles on the SS. I recall taking GT350 out only on the weekends.

Can you suggest any decent clone options for the rocker panels and splitter?
DNSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:47 PM   #38
DNSS2

Also, will secondary cat delete void the powertrain warranty? I searched it and found different and conflicting opinions. I believe the law allows dealers to void the powertrain warranty if they can establish that the specific mod causes the issue. I don’t see how secondary cat delete can cause an issue with the engine.
DNSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 08:24 PM   #39
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSS2 View Post
Thanks all again for replying. Sounds like I should have went with the 1LE. Well, it is too late now. I will just have to make the best with what I have. I just did not find a local 1LE with a decent price.

You shouldn't have any regret. All SS camaro's are warrantied for track use (well don't know about the convertible). The SS is an amazing machine. It's engineered to take track use. I've seen a few non-1le ss's on the track, and they help inspire me to buy one. I think the 1le difference gets overstated on the forum.

I looked for used 1le's before ordering mine, there were very few and not good values.
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 08:10 AM   #40
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hops View Post
You shouldn't have any regret. All SS camaro's are warrantied for track use (well don't know about the convertible). The SS is an amazing machine. It's engineered to take track use. I've seen a few non-1le ss's on the track, and they help inspire me to buy one. I think the 1le difference gets overstated on the forum.

I looked for used 1le's before ordering mine, there were very few and not good values.
They damn well better be...

Actually, I seem to recall that in 2017 when I got my car, ALL V8 Camaros were covered for warranty for track use. Now that the 1LZ LT1 has been introduced, I’m not as sure about those. I think part of the cost reduction was elimination of a lot of the coolers.
Attached Images

A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 11:13 AM   #41
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
They damn well better be...
I assumed all SS's were covered, the only reason i hesitated, was an old thread showing the convertible SS having different transmission coolers.

all SS's are covered

https://www.autoblog.com/2016/04/01/...rack-warranty/

I was trying to make the general point, that the OP shouldn't regret buying an SS. I really don't like when the tone of a thread becomes, "you should have bought a different car", i think it's bad form.
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 12:57 PM   #42
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hops View Post
I was trying to make the general point, that the OP shouldn't regret buying an SS. I really don't like when the tone of a thread becomes, "you should have bought a different car", i think it's bad form.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote