Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 10-18-2023, 01:22 PM   #1093
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwisjw View Post
So the turn-in lock up feel or decel is isolated from the diff tune, fwiw. It is the calibrated engine torque that is created from the different modes that you want to run, touring, sport or track. The corvette experiences a lot more "lock up" on decel feel with track so we run touring and also the ediff is a lot happier with lock up on exit to help us rotate under power.

Surprised that your friends non-1LE spins up one wheel given it is a clutch type diff? I would suspect something is up with the setup of vehicle.
The amount of lock on turn-in is greatly effected by the GMPP tune, it's actually in the GMPP description and it's very noticeable in some situations, it opens the diff more quickly on turn-in and locks it more quickly on throttle. I do agree the eDiff changes it's behavior depending on many factors, but the GMPP tune is only active in track mode with all nannies off, and under 70 mph or so.

It's best to tune for it with the roll bar setup, otherwise you may end up with a bit too much oversteer. It's also too abrupt for the OEM tires and can unsettle the car. With 200tw autox tires you just don't notice it unless you do something wrong, like overslowing for a slalom then getting back on the gas as you enter the slalom, when it locks up the car will shift position a bit which isn't ideal, but I figure that's just my poor driving.

Of course my friend's car may not be setup optimally, but he's had it since '16 and has won ESP at Nats. He says it's the venue's surface. It is an odd one, PPIR in Fountain, CO. It can get hot enough that times actually start falling off in the afternoon.

My car is pretty much a F-Street SLE with an alignment, wider wheels and the
autox diff tune, and it's been keeping up with or beating cars with a lot more prep lately. My codriver managed to beat a CAMC car that trophied at Nats. I do think the eDiff tune is contributing.
Old 10-18-2023, 01:25 PM   #1094
DaveC113

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
Stock tune probably also contributes to my lazier turn in.
Dave, on a side note, remember when we talked about the cost of the tune? A guy up in NoCal just got it done. Cost $730! Gm charged 280 but dealer charged 450 for 1.5 hours. Didn’t think they were to charge extra, customer beware I guess
Ooof, that's a big tax for what's really 15 minutes of labor, but the Dealer has to call GMPP with the VIN and then they send them the tune. I paid about $300-350 or so, it was about 4 years ago now though.
Old 10-18-2023, 01:31 PM   #1095
jwisjw

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
The amount of lock on turn-in is greatly effected by the GMPP tune, it's actually in the GMPP description and it's very noticeable in some situations, it opens the diff more quickly on turn-in and locks it more quickly on throttle. I do agree the eDiff changes it's behavior depending on many factors, but the GMPP tune is only active in track mode with all nannies off, and under 70 mph or so.

Of course my friend's car may not be setup optimally, but he's had it since '16 and has won ESP at Nats. He says it's the venue's surface. It is an odd one, PPIR in Fountain, CO. It can get hot enough that times actually start falling off in the afternoon.
Sorry, not trying to be that guy but the person that created the autocross diff tune told me that what you are feeling is "drag torque" and is completely isolated from the autocross diff cal itself.

It definitely sounds like you are talking about Darden and I don't think our setup and his setup are even in the same league fwiw.
Old 10-18-2023, 01:34 PM   #1096
jwisjw

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
With sq stones or now the nankangs , Nannie’s off in track and stock front bar, The only really annoying time with the EDiff was oversteer out of tight turns onto straights. On a very bad autoclub lot six surface with low grip. With the hotchkiss front bar set soft I now use, have no issues with the EDiff, or Should I say the EDiff and sq tire oversteer combo(?) I can focus on the now lesser steering response with the bigger bar and lazier crs turnin on the tight all turns no straight very grippy lot we now have, and never have to give the rear a second thought. Not sure what else I should be noticing with ediff behavior, the car just grips everywhere.
I can totally believe that for sure! Makes the magride do so much less and prevents it from nosing over as much.

autoclub lot... tire grinder haha, you should be happy that you can't run there anymore. Have you ran at Lake Elsinore?
Old 10-18-2023, 01:39 PM   #1097
DaveC113

Quote:
Sorry, not trying to be that guy but the person that created the autocross diff tune told me that what you are feeling is "drag torque" and is completely isolated from the autocross diff cal itself.

It definitely sounds like you are talking about Darden and I don't think our setup and his setup are even in the same ball park fwiw.
That's fine, there must be a misunderstanding somewhere and it could easily be mine, but the "unlock on turn-in" thing is specifically mentioned in the GMPP description of the tune, and it's very noticeable in some circumstances.

I do agree that drag torque has a major effect on eDiff lock up, you can see this when you run the eDiff lockup display on the dash, but I disagree the eDiff tune has no control over the eDiff's behavior on turn-in. I've had the eDiff tune for 4 years now, it's really a night and day thing at times.

I'm not comfortable naming names if they aren't here to participate in the discussion, but you may be right. The car's running Hotchkis ft/ZLE rear bars and MCS suspension.
Old 10-18-2023, 02:08 PM   #1098
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
I can totally believe that for sure! Makes the magride do so much less and prevents it from nosing over as much.

autoclub lot... tire grinder haha, you should be happy that you can't run there anymore. Have you ran at Lake Elsinore?
That our new home! Since autoclub and nmca went away some of us expats have been running with Porsche club LA. Kicked out of Angels stadium, then kicked out of San Pedro..lol 11/4 will be my third time at Storm stadium. My buddy Will Flores has been trying to me to run scca sd with him but I am to old and lazy now and don’t want to work..lol
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote