Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-12-2018, 09:01 AM   #1
StPeteHyper2.0

Drives: '16 Hyper Blue 2.0
LT non-Bose audio system upgraded

Finally got all the audio upgrades in this week. This is non-Bose system. After taking panels apart, realized I needed some adapters and made some changes to my speaker selection.

Outcome was 1" tweeters with mini crossovers with custom adapter in the dash (I traced the stock speaker and rotozipped a 1/4" panel to fit the new tweeters).
6x9 coaxials with metra 82-3017 adapter in the doors.
6.5 coaxials in the rear side panels (these replace the 5.25s without an adapter necessary)
6.5 mid ranges added to the rear deck lid. (I didnt have deck lid speakers so I cut a board and mounted it to the underside. After seeing the adapters for the doors, I do believe these will fit the rear deck lid also)
10" subs in the sub thump front fire box.

Stock amp still powers 6 speakers, and added 2 amps to power the mid ranges and subs with an Audio Control lc2i. I used the 2 rear channels from the sub thump harness to the lc2i and split to the amps from there. I'm still tuning it in which is always a work in progress but it sounds crystal clear and the balance of acoustics is working out really well. I'm pleased with Skar Audio brand.. when swapping the 6x9s in the doors with no other speakers on, the difference in sound quality impressive on its own.

Obvious lacking some trunk space, but my intention was to make this as removable as possible, therefore everything is mounted to the back of the sub box and only a few wires need to be removed from their distribution blocks for easy access.
Attached Images

StPeteHyper2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:06 PM   #2
chris227

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS
Nice job.
chris227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:28 PM   #3
LiveWire195

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Really nice install! I'm really impressed with your setup, It has that high tech appeal that I'm really looking to achieve in the end with mine!

Any chance you mind taking a look at my thread to see if my plan is correct?
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=536218
LiveWire195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 11:08 AM   #4
StPeteHyper2.0

Thanks

LiveWire.. I'm definitely no expert at this, just a little experience, a few knowledgeable friends, and youtube vids got me thru this. Mainly with matching Ohms and bridging wire parallel and series. Took me about a month to put it together waiting for parts and wires and then not turning out how I wanted it. Even as it sits, I didn't realize the fuse blocks were as big as they are and the top amp I may slide over a little bit. But that was my goal.. to keep it clean looking and accessible, didn't want a bunch of loose wires everywhere.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:18 AM   #5
StPeteHyper2.0

Wired the box in my home office.. couple more pics of wiring.. subs were dual voice 2 ohm.. bridged at mono amp

4ga pos/neg.. positive goes into 150amp fuse block, then 4ga to fused distribution block. 80amp fuse with 4ga to mono sub amp, and 60amp fuse 8ga to 4 channel amp. The negative goes to a 4ga distribution block, one to mono amp, other to another distribution block with splits to 8ga and smaller for the digital distribution block, lc2i, and 4 channel amp. Lc2i is the remote turn on wired to both amps.
Attached Images

Old 08-13-2018, 01:31 PM   #6
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
Looks good!
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:51 AM   #7
SilverCamaroVert

Drives: 2019 LT3 RS Convertible
What's your thought on sound quality of the SKAR subs? Are they only for SPL or do they stack up for sound q?

Side note. You may want to consider moving your power wire directly to the battery. You have no idea how much is coming through that stock 200A fuse. Adding your x amount of watts could push it over and pop it mid drive and who knows what shuts down. I've also heard those stock fuses can be pricey to replace.
SilverCamaroVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 11:25 PM   #8
StPeteHyper2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCamaroVert View Post
What's your thought on sound quality of the SKAR subs? Are they only for SPL or do they stack up for sound q?

Side note. You may want to consider moving your power wire directly to the battery. You have no idea how much is coming through that stock 200A fuse. Adding your x amount of watts could push it over and pop it mid drive and who knows what shuts down. I've also heard those stock fuses can be pricey to replace.
I like the sound of Skar, no complaints. I'm no expert tho for comparison. A friend had them in his and the price is affordable and I've been impressed as well as a few others that got to ride.

Thanks I see your point there. Haven't had any issues with the battery yet but I'm going to take you word for it and move it haha
Old 02-07-2019, 08:15 AM   #9
SilverCamaroVert

Drives: 2019 LT3 RS Convertible
Thanks for your review. I've been considering alpine s subs and alpine amps. They are quite a bit more. It's tough with audio and the fact that no car audio shops exist anymore to hear stuff.

What kind of music do you listen to if you don't mind me asking?

I can't take full credit for the Fuse thing. I saw a youtube video from 5 star car stereo and he specifically called it out as a thing. Those guys are a little zany but they sure can do a clean install and don't appear to cut corners! Might have been this vid:
SilverCamaroVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:59 PM   #10
StPeteHyper2.0

I mean if you're going for competition or name brands.. maybe alpine or kicker..etc. but it's not like my ears aren't already ringing. I liked the look of Skar.. simple and clean white and black. It's a cheaper alternative and gets the job done. I'm impressed with it even tho it may not be tuned properly. The setup is different, stock amp plus 2 more and audio control.. 4 different tuning equalizer to mess with plus a bass knob. I think I found a good sound tho for all different sorts of music.

I go between rock and rap mainly because I like the beats. WithXM I'm usually on 34-37, 43-47, 53, sometimes I do venture into classical and orchestra channels, and the lady likes older Sinatra and and Supremes type goodies.