Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Phastek Performance

Old 07-17-2018, 12:08 PM   #1
dfwcowboy

Drives: 2024 ZL1 M6, 1969 Cessna Skylane
Pro-Clip cell phone mount review

So some people have been asking about cell phone mounts and I thought I'd post a review of the Pro-Clip system which I've used since my 5th gen. I also use one in my Tahoe. I'll detail some of the features of this systems along with some of the problems you might run into.

The way they work is there's a two part mount. One part is specific to the vehicle. In the case of the 6th gen there's two mounting locations available with two different vehicle specific mounts. One mounts higher up to the right of the instrument cluster, and the other mounts lower on the knee pad. The 2nd mount is phone specific. In my case I have an iPhone 6 and have the mount that includes provisions for a USB cable (more on this later). They also sell a phone mount without any wiring provisions which is a little cheaper. You bolt the two mounts together with the included hardware and install in the vehicle. If you get a new phone, or a new vehicle, you just replace that part of the mount.

The mount rotates in any direction and articulates so that you can change the angle of viewing. A single screw adjusts the tension which occassionally comes loose. I find myself tightening it about every 3 months or so. The phone mount adjusts in width and there's plenty of room behind it, so it accommodates most thinner cases and will accommodate phone accessories mounted to the rear. My wife has a credit card holder on the back of her Otterbox Symetry and it clears easily with lots more room.

Installation is pretty straightforward and easy. It basically just clips on the vehicle and there's some low-tack double stick tape that helps to hold it in place, but most of the holding strength comes from how it snaps onto the vehicle. It removes just as easily with no marking or sticky residue. I'm not sure about the upper mount as I don't have that one, but sometimes they require you to pry the trim pieces apart so the mount slides into place. This was the case with another vehicle and they included a trim tool in the kit.

The knee pad mount holds quite securely most of the time. I did have one instance where I accidentally bumped the mount just right and it popped off. I still like the mount where it is, but I suspect the high mount option might be more secure. However with normal use this isn't really an issue. You can slide the phone in and out and rotate it without any worries of it coming off and the phone is held securely and doesn't move around.

I have the phone option which includes USB cord mount. I like this very much, but there is some issues with this. In operation it works well. You slide the phone into the mount, push it down onto the cable, and the cable connects to the phone charging it and activating Carplay.

So the first problem I ran into was my Otterbox Symetry case didn't allow the phone to mate properly with the cable. This was easily remedied with my dremel tool and carving out about 1-2mm from the Symetry case around where the mount mates to it. The next problem was after several years of use, the cord would pop down slightly when trying to mount and not make a good connection. The immediate remedy was to hold the cord with one hand while sliding the phone down with the other. I no longer have this issue which I'll explain next. So another issue is with trying to use an aftermarket cable. Apple OEM cables fit well into the mount, but aftermarket ones tend to have larger shrouds around the connector and they don't fit. I made an aftermarket cable work with my dremel tool, but save yourself some grief and buy the 2m Apple cable if you want to route the cable out of sight. I was able to modify an aftermarket cable with my dremel so it fits more snug and doesn't push back while mounting, so there's that. You may never have this issue as it's mainly due to the fact that my phone mount is many years old now.

Ignore the pigtail cable as I have that routed through the mount for my radar detector.

dfwcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:17 AM   #2
jcor3

Drives: 2018 2SS & 2002 1500HD
I originally used the instrument cluster mount. I switched to the same one you are using because the high mount interfered with the windshield wiper controls. Plus, it reduced the visibility even more!
jcor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:49 AM   #3
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
I don't like that mount at all. You have to look down and take your eyes off the road, and everyone sees your screen, LOL. I went with the ugly suction cup on dash. much better for safety.

Sorry to the OP, didn't mean to hijack!!!

Below is what I settled on. its has wireless charging and a snap feature to secure your phone with one hand. I hid the power wire behind the radio.
They make wired and wireless versions. The suction cup is a gel thing, over a year and still on the dash, never fell off. They say it wont stain the dash, LOL, who knows.

Last edited by bobby35ny; 07-24-2018 at 12:01 PM. Reason: add pic
bobby35ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:33 PM   #4
dfwcowboy

Drives: 2024 ZL1 M6, 1969 Cessna Skylane
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby35ny View Post
I don't like that mount at all. You have to look down and take your eyes off the road, and everyone sees your screen, LOL. I went with the ugly suction cup on dash. much better for safety.
Personally I'm almost never looking at the phone when I'm driving. For me the phone mount is just a convenient place to slide it into for charging and Carplay interface. If you want access to the phone, Pro-Clip makes a different vehicle mount which places the phone to the right of the instrument cluster.

dfwcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:45 PM   #5
bobby35ny

I planned on buying that one at first. When I took apart the dash when installing my laser/radar stuff I noticed how easy it was to pop that bezel off so I didn't buy it. Thought maybe my 8+ would be too heavy for it.
Old 07-24-2018, 05:38 PM   #6
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Quote:
I planned on buying that one at first. When I took apart the dash when installing my laser/radar stuff I noticed how easy it was to pop that bezel off so I didn't buy it. Thought maybe my 8+ would be too heavy for it.
What brand is that suction cup mount?
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 05:41 PM   #7
bobby35ny

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy55 View Post
What brand is that suction cup mount?
https://www.amazon.com/iOttie-Wirele.../dp/B0754NDNT8

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 07-26-2018, 02:30 PM   #8
carguy55

Quote:
https://www.amazon.com/iOttie-Wirele.../dp/B0754NDNT8

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Thanks
Old 07-29-2018, 09:24 AM   #9
TonyNo

Drives: 2016 2SS, SW
Quote:
I have that one and an S8+. No problems with the bezel popping off. As noted above, I had to add an extension plate to clear the turn-signal stalk.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:05 PM   #10
carguy55

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwcowboy View Post
Personally I'm almost never looking at the phone when I'm driving. For me the phone mount is just a convenient place to slide it into for charging and Carplay interface. If you want access to the phone, Pro-Clip makes a different vehicle mount which places the phone to the right of the instrument cluster.

This one looks like it will hold my phone way to close to the steering wheel
Old 08-02-2018, 06:06 PM   #11
carguy55

deleted

Last edited by carguy55; 08-02-2018 at 06:07 PM. Reason: deleted
Old 08-10-2018, 06:12 PM   #12
carguy55

Quote:

Sorry to the OP, didn't mean to hijack!!!

Below is what I settled on. its has wireless charging and a snap feature to secure your phone with one hand. I hid the power wire behind the radio.
They make wired and wireless versions. The suction cup is a gel thing, over a year and still on the dash, never fell off. They say it wont stain the dash, LOL, who knows.

I decided on this one after looking at both of them. I didn't get the wireless charger one since I read they don't charge very well. They had the regular one at Wal-Mart for $24
Old 08-10-2018, 07:24 PM   #13
HYPER1LE

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE HBM
I went with the instrument cluster mount location. I will concede that fit tolerances are fairly close between the mount with phone and fingers wrapping around the steering wheel, for me it hasn’t been an issue or concern. Those with rather large hands and fingers may have a problem with this location. What’s cool about this location is that you can keep your hand on the steering wheel and simply extend a finger for one-tap navigation of the device while the device remains secure in the holder. Secondly, it is very near line of sight without, in my opinion, being obstructive to forward vision. Thirdly, for my Apple iPhone anyway, I can record video or snap a quick forward-facing photo while device remains in the mount. For a recent track day, or the most part, I recorded video while it was in the mount. Unfortunately, my protective case does not allow for the best fit and grip with a jarring bump eventually causing the device to fall out. Without the protective case on the iPhone, this would have been a non-issue as the iPhone could simply slide into the molded channels of the mount. For normal to spirited driving within the device in its protective case it has been just fine.
Attached Images

HYPER1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 03:21 PM   #14
Crazed_1LE

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
I just got the dash mount for my car. I really like it. It's not in the way of the streering wheel and it feels pretty sturdy.
Attached Images

Last edited by Crazed_1LE; 08-24-2018 at 04:12 PM.
Crazed_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote