Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-11-2020, 05:33 PM   #1
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Steering wheel cover cracking

Noticed yesterday my steering wheel developed the best I can describe as some cracking, or rippling, on the top of the wheel. It was a small strip about 2” wide & 1/2” high.

After work today I get in and see it had spread to over 8” wide. I’m not happy. It rubs on your hand & is very annoying.

I’ll be taking it to a dealer soon to get tires put on and a few other things & will definitely bring this up as a warranty issue.

Has anyone else had this happen?

Pic from a few days before & what it looks like today.
Attached Images

gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 06:07 PM   #2
Jb54

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS M6
That would definitely be annoying! I think the dealer will go with the "normal wear and tear" excuse though. Won't hurt to tell them about it, maybe you'll get lucky!
You could always take it to an upholster and have a brand new leather one put on. Or, the cheaper way is to buy a steering wheel cover to go over it and restore the feel of your steering wheel. Good luck, whatever you decide.
Jb54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 06:59 PM   #3
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jb54 View Post
That would definitely be annoying! I think the dealer will go with the "normal wear and tear" excuse though. Won't hurt to tell them about it, maybe you'll get lucky!
You could always take it to an upholster and have a brand new leather one put on. Or, the cheaper way is to buy a steering wheel cover to go over it and restore the feel of your steering wheel. Good luck, whatever you decide.
It’s definitely not wear & tear.

I drive 1 mile to work & 1 mile home. It has 20,500 miles on it & as you can see from the pic I took the other day, only happened to take a pic for a dealer dealing with a trade in evaluation, it was not there.

It was not there when I went to work yesterday. It’s been hot here, but I’m sure other locals have been just as hot, if not hotter, without this happening (perhaps). So that is no excuse.

It feels way worse on the hand letting the steering return than it appears. It’s like running your hand lightly along a cheese grater, or fish scales. That’s how I noticed it, I was like WTF is that! Then when I looked at it I couldn’t believe what I saw & how quickly it came about. Then to see it spread from yesterday to today... yeah, no. They can replace the rap.

Last edited by gtfoxy; 07-11-2020 at 07:14 PM.
Old 07-11-2020, 10:02 PM   #4
Jb54

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS M6
Sorry, I didn't mean to piss you off. I was just giving you my opinion. Good luck.
Jb54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 03:30 AM   #5
SOFO

Drives: Camaro Fifty
Do you wear a ring? I saw a similiar damage at one of my friends caused by the edges of his wedding ring. After some years it looked really bad. I still remember this as it looked just awful.
SOFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:01 AM   #6
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOFO View Post
Do you wear a ring?
My wife did something similar to the top of the wheel for her car - caused by her rings.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 10:41 AM   #7
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jb54 View Post
Sorry, I didn't mean to piss you off. I was just giving you my opinion. Good luck.
Not directed to you in the slightest.

My apologies if it seemed hostile in any way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOFO View Post
Do you wear a ring? I saw a similiar damage at one of my friends caused by the edges of his wedding ring. After some years it looked really bad. I still remember this as it looked just awful.
Nope. Lost my wedding ring about 4 yrs ago.
Old 07-13-2020, 12:29 AM   #8
SOFO

Drives: Camaro Fifty
Then I don't know...
SOFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 06:11 PM   #9
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Talked to my local dealer today & explained the issue. He’s going to take pics next week & send it in.