Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Regional Sections > USA - California

AWE Tuning

Old 03-08-2020, 01:08 PM   #15
Rodan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 coupe
18" is ridiculously close. A hairdryer probably wouldn't pass at that distance.
Rodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:41 PM   #16
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodan View Post
18" is ridiculously close. A hairdryer probably wouldn't pass at that distance.
It's Kalifornia, the land of idiots and stupid laws... Can't wait to get out of this state...

(Where in Prescott are you? I spent 4 years there for College, loved Prescott)...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 11:45 PM   #17
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
J1492 requires the measurements to be made at 0.5m. so roughly 18". It's stupid close.

Though to be fair.. Sound ordinances aren't only found in California, and most places would let cops ticket you under more vague laws.

Testing that close is why all oem exhaust sounds so weak. Though i would not be surprised if npp exhaust fails on the v8, since testing must be done on all available modes on multi mode exhausts

Edit:. I'm reading on many dmv type sites for California that the 95db limit is measured at 50ft, not 0.5m. Because it is based on sae 1169 instead of 1492.
So now I'm not sure what to think.

I will retest at that distance, using the info I can find on how 1169 is tested.

This was updated late 2019 so the testing rules would still be valid. http://www.bobsmuffler.com/noise.htm

Last edited by cellsafemode; 03-09-2020 at 12:00 AM.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 02:37 AM   #18
Rodan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post

Testing that close is why all oem exhaust sounds so weak. Though i would not be surprised if npp exhaust fails on the v8, since testing must be done on all available modes on multi mode exhausts
Our ZL1 wouldn't pass sound at a 95dB racetrack with the stock exhaust in track mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt
Where in Prescott are you? I spent 4 years there for College, loved Prescott
We live in Prescott Valley. Did you attend Embry Riddle?
Rodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 12:54 PM   #19
Rhobz

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
That's California for you.

I once (a long time ago) got pulled over in my Integra for "loud exhaust". He had me pop the hood, which he can do if the car looks like a "race car", and ticketed me for my 100% legal cold-air intake. When I pointed out the CARB EO sticker, he said "Its not my job to know what that is. That's what the ref is for."

It was absolute bullshit. After the intake AND the exhaust both passed at the ref, the judge of course, dismissed the charge but I was on the hook for the ref fees.

The judge admitted that the cop was wrong to ticket me for the intake but the exhaust is a judgement call on his part.

In the 1LE, I have practiced getting to the mode button quick to dump it into S/I Stealth mode. LOL
Rhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 01:03 PM   #20
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i have longtubes and full exhaust on my ss and its pretty loud in track mode on track but i drive around in touring or sport mode on the streets and havent had any issues yet but i always keep an eye out for cops sucks but its part of the modlife
Old 03-10-2020, 01:07 PM   #21
Rhobz

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
sucks but its part of the modlife
Amen brother! A sacrifice I will continue to make.
Rhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 01:53 PM   #22
Scargoes

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodan View Post
Our ZL1 wouldn't pass sound at a 95dB racetrack with the stock exhaust in track mode.
Sound at RPM when measured under load will be louder than sound measured at RPM when not under load.

1:34.20 Willow Springs Big Track
Scargoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 11:35 PM   #23
cellsafemode

it's funny how defensive people get with the idea of electric cars destroying culture when that destruction is well underway already via a more and more regulated and automated environment regardless of how the thing is powered.

Gonna test the cars again at 50ft tomorrow. I suspect we'll do much better It's not like we have removed the cats or are running straight pipes.
Old 03-15-2020, 09:17 PM   #24
cellsafemode

At 50 ft, the sound levels was around 85db for the borla. Guess it's time to setup a ref appointment. Seems pretty clear it should pass as-is
Old 05-05-2020, 10:15 AM   #25
cellsafemode

So the referee tests at half a meter.

Not 50 ft as some websites say.

So obviously she failed.

So like 45mph speed limits on 4 lane roadways, and 55mph limits on highways. This is definitely a rule designed to give cops probable cause on a wide range of people. Though, the death of car culture probably means an exceedingly tiny percentage of people are running with modified cars these days and so most people wont care (unlike strict speed limit enforcement at least).
Old 02-17-2023, 05:25 PM   #26
Bodack000

Drives: 2020 Camaro LT1
Ca dB test state ref. Loud exhaust, be careful

I want to be as clear as possible to help as many as I can. I was pulled over for loud exhaust. Cop sent me to the State ref here in CA. At the time of infraction I had LT headers, no cats running back to an MBRP set of mufflers.
Knowing I would fail the 95db test I put the exhaust back to stock minus the mufflers. I kept the mbrp on to see if it would pass.
Took it in and it not only failed the db test at 110db it failed for modified cats. Since I cut them off and put them back on they are now deemed used/not original.
State ref made me show proof on new rear cat purchase from Chevy which I will tell you is only sold as 1 whole piece. From the connection at the front cats all the way back including the muffler. $2200 after core. Had to also show proof of install, pictures an all before I could get a re test.
Took it down today fully 100% stock. You guessed it FAILED!!! They will test in all 3 modes it ran at 99, 97, and 96.
State ref looked at me and said I don't know what to tell you. It's stock but it failed.
At this point I still can't pay the fines to get the car back on the road legally.
Looking into adding resonators to quiet it down and test again.
Right now in Ca if you buy a stock camaro and drive it off lot, get pulled over for loud exhaust it will fail the db test locking you up just like me. Absolute crap.
Bodack000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 04:13 PM   #27
Dabjbr

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
This sounds just like the recent issue a Hyundai Elantra N. What I don't understand is why and how they run in all 3 modes. I assume you mean they ran it in Tour, Sport and Track?

I have a 1LE with NPP exhaust but am unaware how the standard exhaust works with different modes.

Sorry this is happening. Really sucks man
Dabjbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 10:47 AM   #28
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Drives: 2022 M6 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodack000 View Post
I want to be as clear as possible to help as many as I can. I was pulled over for loud exhaust. Cop sent me to the State ref here in CA. At the time of infraction I had LT headers, no cats running back to an MBRP set of mufflers.
Knowing I would fail the 95db test I put the exhaust back to stock minus the mufflers. I kept the mbrp on to see if it would pass.
Took it in and it not only failed the db test at 110db it failed for modified cats. Since I cut them off and put them back on they are now deemed used/not original.
State ref made me show proof on new rear cat purchase from Chevy which I will tell you is only sold as 1 whole piece. From the connection at the front cats all the way back including the muffler. $2200 after core. Had to also show proof of install, pictures an all before I could get a re test.
Took it down today fully 100% stock. You guessed it FAILED!!! They will test in all 3 modes it ran at 99, 97, and 96.
State ref looked at me and said I don't know what to tell you. It's stock but it failed.
At this point I still can't pay the fines to get the car back on the road legally.
Looking into adding resonators to quiet it down and test again.
Right now in Ca if you buy a stock camaro and drive it off lot, get pulled over for loud exhaust it will fail the db test locking you up just like me. Absolute crap.

Where in the state was this?
ALL the RED Rear End BMR Goodies + JRE Terminator Cam Package + Remote Tuning and Moral Support from TED @ JRE
BMR Motor Mounts + DMS Front HX + FIC 30's + APEX SM.10's + 305/345 R888R's = 770rwhp 785rwtq @E50 13.5psi
SOCAL.M6.ZLE is offline   Reply With Quote