Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 11-08-2017, 09:35 AM   #1
marco0418

Drives: 2015 Silverado Texas Edition, 4x4,
Daily Driving a 2018 2SS 1LE

Hey guys, I was wondering what were y’all thoughts on daily driving a 2ss 1LE? I’m saving up to make my purchase in the spring but could use some feedback and the pros and cons of daily driving a 1LE. I’m new to the forum and it would be my first sports car purchase so please take it easy on me.
marco0418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:52 AM   #2
Rafal

Drives: Sold - Krypton Green 1LE
1LE is my only car. My only problem is to get some winter shoes and there are barely any good options. Car is very comfortable and has no issues driving daily.
Rafal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:05 AM   #3
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
I also DD my 1SS 1LE. Heated and cooled seats in a 2SS would be even more plush.

OP being in southern Tx, why wouldn't you daily one?
Old 11-08-2017, 10:30 AM   #4
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafal View Post
1LE is my only car. My only problem is to get some winter shoes and there are barely any good options. Car is very comfortable and has no issues driving daily.
This seems to be my only hurdle living in the NE, having to get a set of wheels and tires to fit and function in the extreme cold we get here in the winter.
Don't really want to get a second set of wheels for the cold.
Boost Creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:33 AM   #5
miketan

Drives: 2018 HBM SS 1LE
I drive 30 miles each way to work 5 days a week. When I was driving my Mazda3 I was pretty meh the whole time, now I look forward to my drive to/from work every day.

Pros:
1. FUN
2. Arguably safer (easier to maneuver and change speed). I had to dodge some junk on the highway going 70 and the car was 100% stable with no issues. I also have had to brake hard when someone cut me off and slowed down with plenty of room.

Cons:
1. Cost: gas mileage I get ~20mpg with a pretty heavy foot, Tires are not cheap, the LT1 takes 10 qts of oil, insurance may be higher, more miles on the car.

Other factors:
Space - I have plenty being 5'9, 130lb. BUT if you want to take coworkers/friends to lunch it can be tough. Although the other day all my female coworkers wanted to ride with me even when 2 had to squeeze into the back seats. Trunk space is tiny too but fine for groceries and normal day to day things.
Visibility - Many people complain about this... I think it is fine. I think the only time it has bothered me is the time a pedestrian was waiting to cross the street and I didnt stop because my A-pillar was hiding them (oops).
miketan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:12 AM   #6
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Pros: Comfortable, looks cool, powerful, FUN
Cons: Eats tires, bad city gas mileage, visibility of curbs impeded by high beltline, somewhat large size if you are used to imports
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:10 PM   #7
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
I daily my 1SS 1LE in Upstate S. Carolina If you are in a climate colder than here you might want some more rain/cold friendly tires, but I have driven on my Supercar 3's in sleet and below freezing temps just be cautious and don't drive like a mad man in the rain if you are sensible it is fine.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:29 PM   #8
TunaMelt

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Pros are obvious. It's an awesome machine that rides great. However, if you've got the option to daily something cheap then it may make sense. A 5k econobox car will pay for itself in depreciation and operating costs.

Cons: Expensive tires you can't rotate and won't last long. Expensive oil changes. Not great gas mileage with premium fuel. Poor visibility. Stress about inevitable door dings in parking lots. It can suck getting in/out of the car if you're a larger person and the doors need a ton of room to swing open. Backseat is non-existent. The driver seat touches the backseat for me to be comfy.
TunaMelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:30 PM   #9
rootus

Drives: 2018 HBM SS 1LE
I daily drive mine, 28 miles or so a day, 50% freeway. The only real cons I have are 1) I sit very tall and I have to bend over a little to see some traffic signals, 2) stock tires tramline on our freeway and it is sorta irritating, and 3) 16.7 mpg average. I tend to cruise on the freeway and get close to 25 mpg, but then I get on the twisties and get about 2 mpg. Gas is cheap thankfully.
rootus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:14 PM   #10
FlashBang23

Drives: 2017 1LE
Another daily driven 1LE here. I honestly have no cons other than my commute being too far and stock tire treadlife lol. As others have said tires and mileage isn't budget friendly but also isn't horrible. Last time I checked I was averaging 17.8ish mpg because I do so much highway cruising. Being in Michigan I had to get a winter tire setup, if I were in a warm climate like you I literally wouldn't think twice about just driving the car every day.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:38 PM   #11
Magsz

Drives: 17 1SS 1LE
What is the car worth to you?

As other's have said there are some definable downsides but at the end of the day, if the costs associated with those downsides (because it really for the most part comes down to money) then rock on and get what makes you happy.

I will reiterate a few points that arent really cost related:

1. Its a big car. If you're used to it then its not a big deal. I drive a Crown Vic at work which is a big white boat and I still feel like the Camaro is gigantic. Granted, the Camaro handles like its on rails so its mostly a moot issue.

2. Visibility in the car is absolutely terrible. Its fine on a track but for daily driving and having to watch out for a HUGE amount of yahoo's...I dunno, its a bit much.

3. The 1SS 1LE is basically a race car. For a commuter car if you're going to spend the money, I prefer certain amenities that the 1ss doesn't have. Are any of these features necessary? Absolutely not, we've all driven cars with ZERO technology besides wheels, tires and an engine. However, if you're going to pay to play, you might as well get a ton of "goosh". I think that the 2SS package for a commuter car is going to be a better option than the 1ss as the base 1ss is pretty darned bare bones.

Just my two cents. I dont daily my 1SS 1LE, its a toy to me and honestly, I wouldnt really want to daily it. I think its too pretty to daily drive and id rather beat it up on the track than have other asshats put dings into it and potentially crash into me.

Let us know what you end up doing! Good luck!
Magsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:55 PM   #12
G2K
@Blackmamba_1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
I DD mine, 4
Months just hit 15K. Like everyone said.
Bad:
gas milage
Blind spot i got small mirror added and that was eliminated.
A-pillars definitely and cant see curbs but had lowered cars all my life so this doesn’t really nother me and when parking i just move the mirror.
TIRES; i scarified grip for longevity and went with Michelin PSS because no way im changing tires every 7-8K miles

Good: lots of smiles and thumbs ups + everything everyone else said.
I really cant see myself driving an ordinary car. Feels to wobbly and i need that tight feel the 1LE provides also like someone said dodging stuff and last min braking what best than a track focused car.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:59 PM   #13
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
I drove my '15 1LE daily....and the 6th gen is more refined than the 5th gen was.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:43 PM   #14
gto mark

Drives: 2015 Red Hot 2SS/RS 1LE Recaros NPP
OP, I have a gen 5 1LE & have driven a gen 6 SS. I was worried about the visability issue when I got mine & it's not as bad as people make it out to be. You have to drive one & like any other vehicle once you get used to it, not a problem. Also, ALWAYS back into parking spaces never pull up to a curb, that splitter is really low & easy to destroy. Good luck & I would agree for a DD I would go with a 2ss1LE.
gto mark is offline   Reply With Quote