#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 01-19-2022, 09:18 PM   #15
Vaska

Drives: On Hiatus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippy View Post
Could you pls let me know part #s. I looked at their site but don’t know what to look for pls/thx
Pretty sure this is what he has lol

https://esskcustoms.com/collections/...led-headlights

They are Texa$ and I don’t know if it’s worth it.
Vaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:43 PM   #16
FrostZ

Drives: 2019 A10 ZL1
They absolutely are expensive I totally agree with you there, I just could not justify an amazing car like this having headlights that are ok at best. This is an example from my car with the lights installed, properly aimed and with high beams on. I think it speaks for itself.
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2022, 11:34 PM   #17
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
This page has some useful info on what bulbs you should pick.

https://www.bulbfacts.com/hid-oe/chart/

I actually used their halogen chart to pick the bulbs for my winter car. The bulbs that ranked well are pretty great stuff.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 07:13 AM   #18
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Drives: 2018 ZL1 & 2022 Hayabusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Appreciate these disclaimers

I'll be honest, I absolutely detest the douchebags that install aftermarket 12261785615 lux LEDs on their bro dozers and blind everyone for 5-10 seconds because who gives a ****. Doesn't even make sense, because the same blinded oncoming drivers can so easily veer into their trucks across the double yellow one day...

These LEDs are probably not such a big deal on a low sports car such as the Camaro if the aim is set correctly, but on trucks and SUVs it's a nightmare.
COMPLETELY AGREE! Most trucks that put level or lift kits on their trucks never realign their lights so from day 1 they're blinding everyone because they're too ignorant to realize they need to adjust them. Add in rain to getting blinded by oncoming leveled trucks and becomes ridiculously hard to see the road stripes.

OP: Please keep us update with the LED upgrade to the OEM HIDs. Curious to see/hear if it's better or worse than the HIDs. I kind of think they may not be much better, if any, but totally guessing. For kicks, found the same bulbs on eBay for under half the price. May be wrong, but I'd put money they're the same.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363604470335

FrostZ: Any chance you'd like to share pics of the Morimotos and how they look on the car as well? I've been trying to talk myself into upgrading. They look awesome, I'm sure output is way better than stock and updates the front end of the car. If the DRL had the option to make it amber (like their truck headlights) instead of white, I'd already purchased them.
- RotoFab Dry, Forgestar CF5V (ZLE Spec), Eibach Pro, AeroForce Interceptor, GT4 Tow Hook
- Carbon Fiber (Satin): Radio, Shifter, Steering Wheel Controls, Shifter Top, AC Vents, Side Mirrors & Shark Fin
2022 Suzuki Hayabusa - Brilliant White Pearl & Shocker Yellow Wheels
- +4 Arm, 240 OEM Wheel, Brock's CT (Ti) Exhaust, 1.25" drop, etc...
infinitereality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 07:17 AM   #19
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostZ View Post
This is an example from my car with the lights installed, properly aimed and with high beams on. I think it speaks for itself.
Attached Images

Gunkk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 10:06 AM   #20
zxspeedspec
Banned

Drives: Faster than yours
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitereality View Post
COMPLETELY AGREE! Most trucks that put level or lift kits on their trucks never realign their lights so from day 1 they're blinding everyone because they're too ignorant to realize they need to adjust them. Add in rain to getting blinded by oncoming leveled trucks and becomes ridiculously hard to see the road stripes.

OP: Please keep us update with the LED upgrade to the OEM HIDs. Curious to see/hear if it's better or worse than the HIDs. I kind of think they may not be much better, if any, but totally guessing. For kicks, found the same bulbs on eBay for under half the price. May be wrong, but I'd put money they're the same.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363604470335

FrostZ: Any chance you'd like to share pics of the Morimotos and how they look on the car as well? I've been trying to talk myself into upgrading. They look awesome, I'm sure output is way better than stock and updates the front end of the car. If the DRL had the option to make it amber (like their truck headlights) instead of white, I'd already purchased them.
Took a quick look and those are the cheap, Chinese factory knockoffs. They don't mention Cree or Kepler branding in the LEDs anywhere so it's most likely running some no-name LED brand. The voltage range for those is also half of the ones I got. And just to fully nerd out on all the research I've been doing, anyone that claims a D3R and D3S are the same, have no idea what they're selling. While the mounting bases themselves are compatible, the headlight assembly's beam focus is completely different so the LEDs themselves need to be oriented differently for max effectiveness.

I'll try and post pictures once I get my new bulbs in.
zxspeedspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 10:52 AM   #21
FrostZ

Drives: 2019 A10 ZL1
Here is couple of pictures of the car, the first is mine next to two other ZL1’s both retain stock lighting. The blue car was turned off during the photo hence no DRLs. The second is what the car looks like during normal nighttime operation with low beams only.
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2022, 11:51 AM   #22
Chippy
BanHamWatch

Drives: 21 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
They absolutely are expensive I totally agree with you there, I just could not justify an amazing car like this having headlights that are ok at best. This is an example from my car with the lights installed, properly aimed and with high beams on. I think it speaks for itself.
Lol Sold!
Old 01-20-2022, 12:41 PM   #23
Vaska

Drives: On Hiatus
Quote:
That output is amazing, however if you don’t drive at night much a good bulb would do the trick. The most id do is a projector retrofit. $1800 is a lot of money…..can you fit a light bar in the grill? lol
Vaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 12:46 PM   #24
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxspeedspec View Post
Took a quick look and those are the cheap, Chinese factory knockoffs. They don't mention Cree or Kepler branding in the LEDs anywhere so it's most likely running some no-name LED brand. The voltage range for those is also half of the ones I got. And just to fully nerd out on all the research I've been doing, anyone that claims a D3R and D3S are the same, have no idea what they're selling. While the mounting bases themselves are compatible, the headlight assembly's beam focus is completely different so the LEDs themselves need to be oriented differently for max effectiveness.

I'll try and post pictures once I get my new bulbs in.
Definitely agree D3R and D3S are most definitely different bulbs, one oriented reflector housing and other for projector.

Unless it's a top name brand LED replacement bulb, I absolutely never believe any specs from them. The voltage range on either bulb won't have any bearing on how brightness. Our cars are 13.7v (running), as long the bulbs fall within that voltage range you're good.

While CREE has been around forever, I've never heard of Kepler brand LEDs. Have any cut sheets or more info? Google just showed me random links plus the site you used.

In my experience over the past 20+yrs from when very few knew what LEDs even were, to when they came out with original LED bulb replacements (sucked horribly for usable light), finally LED headlight bulbs, list goes on to where LEDs are today. From my experience if 2 company's LED bulb looks identical in shape, size, LED layout, etc.....they're very likely the same components, just a rebranded box for most part (and price difference). Only difference I've ever seen on 2 bulbs that looked identical is they had different branding or markings aka someone laser engraved. A red flag on the Precision brand is that the bulbs themselves do not seem branded, other than D3S laser engraved. Everyone wants their brand on their bulbs if they created them. All the bulbs on the site honestly look like generic LED bulbs you can get from eBay for cheap or AliExpress for next to nothing.

I hope I did not come off as rude or anything close to that, it was not my intention. I just want to share what I have learned since they first started making LED replacement bulbs... I've believed all the same stuff in the past as well as similar claims with HID stuff, which I've seem to have had since original HID kit came out way back then and HID kit cost $234 (around 15yrs ago)!
- RotoFab Dry, Forgestar CF5V (ZLE Spec), Eibach Pro, AeroForce Interceptor, GT4 Tow Hook
- Carbon Fiber (Satin): Radio, Shifter, Steering Wheel Controls, Shifter Top, AC Vents, Side Mirrors & Shark Fin
Old 01-20-2022, 12:52 PM   #25
zxspeedspec
Banned

It was less the Kepler branding and more that PrecisionLED at least tested the bulbs they source from whatever factory in China they source theirs from. I don't expect that they test each bulb, but hopefully they randomly test samples every now and then and make sure it still falls within range of their initial testing. I bought mostly based on the testing results they published whereas the eBay bulbs may be identical or it could be a totally different LED with wildly different results in an identical housing.
Old 01-21-2022, 07:53 AM   #26
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Quote:
It was less the Kepler branding and more that PrecisionLED at least tested the bulbs they source from whatever factory in China they source theirs from. I don't expect that they test each bulb, but hopefully they randomly test samples every now and then and make sure it still falls within range of their initial testing. I bought mostly based on the testing results they published whereas the eBay bulbs may be identical or it could be a totally different LED with wildly different results in an identical housing.
Worse case if one fails, you should have an easier time to warranty it since it seems like a reputable company. Hopefully they're not like DDM Tuning HIDs kit warranty a decade or more ago. Pretty huge HID store, but when you had to warranty things it was a huge pain and unless you didn't mind one being out for a couple of weeks or you'd be putting things back to stock until then.

It could be the same housing and different components, but I'm pretty doubtful. There's lots of eBay LEDs they supposedly test and share results, but I don't believe any of them as it's marketing. The last few LED headlight bulbs I'm bought to play with, the bases were able to be clocked so you can orient the LED for best output.

I'm curious if LED bulb replacement technology is finally getting close to catching up with HID in terms of usable output, the width of the beam and most definitely if they have the throw of a HID. Looking forward to hearing some feedback when you install them.
Old 01-21-2022, 09:30 AM   #27
zxspeedspec
Banned

Actually that reminds me, I still have a pair of DDM D3S laying around somewhere I was gonna use on a motorcycle until I realized how much of a pain in the ass it was getting to the bulb on my bike.

I wouldn't trust the random Amazon/eBay bulb's "testing" either and half of their lumen numbers aren't even realistic, but this company at least looked legitimate in how they tested. It's also possible they have a contract with the factory that says they will only accept LEDs above a certain quality (even LEDs off the same line come out a little different) and they reject the ones that aren't bright enough. Or I just paid a shit ton extra for no reason.

We'll see whenever they decide to show up. All I have is a tracking number, but nothing shipped yet.
Old 01-21-2022, 10:17 AM   #28
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Quote:
Actually that reminds me, I still have a pair of DDM D3S laying around somewhere I was gonna use on a motorcycle until I realized how much of a pain in the ass it was getting to the bulb on my bike.

I wouldn't trust the random Amazon/eBay bulb's "testing" either and half of their lumen numbers aren't even realistic, but this company at least looked legitimate in how they tested. It's also possible they have a contract with the factory that says they will only accept LEDs above a certain quality (even LEDs off the same line come out a little different) and they reject the ones that aren't bright enough. Or I just paid a shit ton extra for no reason.

We'll see whenever they decide to show up. All I have is a tracking number, but nothing shipped yet.
Hopefully theirs isn't marketing gimmicks like Amazon/eBay ones, I'm excited to see some pics, hear some feedback about LEDs in lieu of the HIDs. With the fan being sealed inside the headlight, should make it a little more quiet and remain quiet unlike others where fan is exposed to the elements.