Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

AWE Tuning

Old 09-07-2021, 07:56 AM   #1
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Drives: 2018 ZL1 & 2022 Hayabusa
Sub Firing Direction Preference?

I built an down firing enclosure with a base and while it definitely is better than nothing I'm not 100% happy with the "umph" of the extra bass. I did this mainly to minimize lost trunk space, but I'm sure I'm losing a chunk of the umph due to down firing.

Attached the model of my enclosure. 29"x8.5"x5.75" not including the legs and base. 0.483cuft of air space, JL recommends a minimum of 0.3.

Equipment is JL 8W3v3, LCi2 Pro & RF R2-500X1 amp. I'd imagine your first thought is the issue is due to sub size, but I ran this same sub/LOC/amp in my previous Audi S7 in the OEM sub enclosure (in spare tire well, went around 40% of the tire, plus polyfill) and sounded considerably better and louder. Different vehicle for sure, but hoped to get somewhat close to duplicating the sound.

I'm not 100% happy with how the box came out and plan to redo it regardless, but if I need to redesign the enclosure to fire a different direction, now is the time to do it. I plan to remove the base on my enclosure and test the setup firing other directions to see which sounds better, but I'm curious as to what everyone prefers as sub firing direction in their car? I've read all the threads prior to building, but no particular preference best I can gauge.
Attached Images

- RotoFab Dry, Forgestar CF5V (ZLE Spec), Eibach Pro, AeroForce Interceptor, GT4 Tow Hook
- Carbon Fiber (Satin): Radio, Shifter, Steering Wheel Controls, Shifter Top, AC Vents, Side Mirrors & Shark Fin
2022 Suzuki Hayabusa - Brilliant White Pearl & Shocker Yellow Wheels
- +4 Arm, 240 OEM Wheel, Brock's CT (Ti) Exhaust, 1.25" drop, etc...
infinitereality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 11:50 AM   #2
sandm

Drives: no more camaro :(
prior genesis coupe had 2 10's in a box facing rear of the trunk against the seat. sounded decent so going to likely do the same thing in our camaro. we are using a jl 12w6v3. tried for a long time to find a decent price on a jl premade box that fits in the rear corner but they are apparently made of gold and no one else makes a blank box to fit that area.

our car is a weekend date/cars and coffee vehicle so trunk space is not an issue.
sandm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 12:24 PM   #3
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandm View Post
prior genesis coupe had 2 10's in a box facing rear of the trunk against the seat. sounded decent so going to likely do the same thing in our camaro. we are using a jl 12w6v3. tried for a long time to find a decent price on a jl premade box that fits in the rear corner but they are apparently made of gold and no one else makes a blank box to fit that area.

our car is a weekend date/cars and coffee vehicle so trunk space is not an issue.
I daily my ZL1 and while I don't really need entire trunk that often for groceries, it's nice to know I have the spare room when I go overboard one day with a buggy full of large grocery items, lol.

For round 2, I plan to do forward or rear firing. From the reading I've done, it seems to be a toss up on which is louder or cleaner. My goal is the latter.

I agree I really would have liked the JL enclosure for looks and probably sounds great too. But the price is something else. Same as you, no decent prefab boxes.

I looked at ST enclosures, I've used them in my f-body and worked out great. BUT they only make MASSIVE enclosures for the Gen6. Even the single 10 or 12" enclosure is a massive 1.5cuft, WAY bigger than needed for an average 10 or 12" sub. I'd venture to say most likely not get the best sound quality out of it due to too much volume.

I saw on ST site they will modify their prefab boxes, so I hit them up asking to cut down on the overall size but they wouldn't do it. He did mention they're working on a more discrete and less trunk space enclosure. I asked if he had a ballpark on time frame to produce, not a simple "no" reply. That was when I decided to build my own, had no choice since had the sub/LOC/amp in hand from the Audi.
- RotoFab Dry, Forgestar CF5V (ZLE Spec), Eibach Pro, AeroForce Interceptor, GT4 Tow Hook
- Carbon Fiber (Satin): Radio, Shifter, Steering Wheel Controls, Shifter Top, AC Vents, Side Mirrors & Shark Fin
Old 09-07-2021, 05:27 PM   #4
XQZMYZ

Drives: 2021 ZL1
sub thump makes some nice looking boxes for both single or dual subs, and either front or rear firing. I had an Audi A6 with front firing subs behind the rear seats and they didnt have the deep boom I was looking for. I have also had rear firing subs and they provide more boom but less punch. I think for me the door speakers have a decent amount of punch but are really lacking in the lower bass boom frequencies. I think I may go rear firing.
XQZMYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 08:17 PM   #5
TruFan1LE

Drives: 2021 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Hey, what part of Louisiana are you in? Foxbox actually makes boxes that will fit and they are not huge. They are located in Houma. Not sure how they faired with Hurricane Ida though. I was thinking about taking a ride down that way to check them out since all the local shops that carry them will only sell it if they are doing the install and you have to purchase other products from them as well. Good luck and keep us posted.
TruFan1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 08:04 AM   #6
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Quote:
Originally Posted by XQZMYZ View Post
sub thump makes some nice looking boxes for both single or dual subs, and either front or rear firing. I had an Audi A6 with front firing subs behind the rear seats and they didnt have the deep boom I was looking for. I have also had rear firing subs and they provide more boom but less punch. I think for me the door speakers have a decent amount of punch but are really lacking in the lower bass boom frequencies. I think I may go rear firing.
They do, but ST enclosures are massive for an above average 10 or 12 sub. Their single sub enclosures are 1.5cuft. For instance my 8w3v3 only needs 0.3cuft, 10w3v3 only needs 0.625cuft. Unsure about a 12, but best of my knowledge is oversized enclosure won't sound as good as a properly sized enclosure plus you waste a ton of limited space we have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruFan1LE View Post
Hey, what part of Louisiana are you in? Foxbox actually makes boxes that will fit and they are not huge. They are located in Houma. Not sure how they faired with Hurricane Ida though. I was thinking about taking a ride down that way to check them out since all the local shops that carry them will only sell it if they are doing the install and you have to purchase other products from them as well. Good luck and keep us posted.
I'm in the Lake Charles area. We were prepared for Ida, but came your direction. Hope things didn't get too hairy over there in BR. I'm pretty curious about the Foxbox for the car, but I fear being located in Houma they won't be open for a good while. I know it took a month or 2 after Laura last year for things to start opening back up assuming mild damage. Heck, we didn't get power for 22 days! Good times, lol.
Old 09-08-2021, 08:05 AM   #7
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

This evening or tomorrow I'll have a chance to remove the base of my enclosure and face multiple directions to see which sounds best, loudest, etc. I'll definitely report back on my findings. bonus of having a small generic enclosure now, can actually test.
Old 09-08-2021, 11:58 AM   #8
SWRocket

Drives: 2021 2SS
Check out Zenclosures: https://www.zenclosures.com/category-s/106.htm
They are well made and the company is very easy to work with.
2021 2SS A10 - Summit White - NPP - MRC - Adrenaline Red Interior Pkg - Black Appearance Pkg - Ground Effect Pkg - Suede Steering Wheel and shifter - Red Calipers - Carbon Flash Wheels w black lug nuts - DD Tinted Side Markers - Hero Tinted Rear Reflectors - Redline Fender Badges - 20% Tint
Audio System Build Log
-----------------------------------------------------------
2014 Z/28 Summit White - sold 2020
2010 2SS/RS Summit White - sold 2014
SWRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 10:17 PM   #9
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWRocket View Post
Thanks, nice find! Definitely will hit them up, I like how they offer to reduce airspace upon request. Maybe I'll get lucky and they would be willing to reduce box depth (assuming it's technically feasible), I'm sold.

Took base off current down firing enclosure and now facing forwards. Didn't have time to turn the key on to listen, have to wait till on the way to work tomorrow.
Old 09-09-2021, 05:53 AM   #10
SWRocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitereality View Post
Thanks, nice find! Definitely will hit them up, I like how they offer to reduce airspace upon request. Maybe I'll get lucky and they would be willing to reduce box depth (assuming it's technically feasible), I'm sold.

Took base off current down firing enclosure and now facing forwards. Didn't have time to turn the key on to listen, have to wait till on the way to work tomorrow.
They will reduce the volume for sure, they did for me.
Rear firing is generally better but try both for sure.
2021 2SS A10 - Summit White - NPP - MRC - Adrenaline Red Interior Pkg - Black Appearance Pkg - Ground Effect Pkg - Suede Steering Wheel and shifter - Red Calipers - Carbon Flash Wheels w black lug nuts - DD Tinted Side Markers - Hero Tinted Rear Reflectors - Redline Fender Badges - 20% Tint
Audio System Build Log
Old 09-09-2021, 07:45 AM   #11
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Quote:
They will reduce the volume for sure, they did for me.
Rear firing is generally better but try both for sure.
Forward firing is maybe 40-50% more umph to the music, definitely a noticeable difference. I'll try rear firing this evening and see how that sounds.
Old 09-09-2021, 11:16 AM   #12
sandm

Drives: no more camaro :(
Quote:
agreed. had them in a vehicle years ago. didn't mod the enclosure, bought stock and it was very well built for a prefab.

have to watch out for 5/8 vs 3/4 mdf builds tho. lots are using the thinner product and using a heavier sub like the w6, I'd search for 3/4.
sandm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 10:02 AM   #13
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

I have 8w3 and 10w0 on hand so while odd, thinking about using them. I'm on my 3rd reply attempting to ask if they would cut those holes and adjust baffles inside the enclosure. Pretty sure they're not reading what I am actually requesting so may have to say it a few more times to get an answer.

Installed some 170hz @ 2 ohm bass blockers in my ST harness for door speakers. Was nice and easy to solder it all since was able to do it on my bench. By far best audio upgrade so far, now I can turn up volume 50% higher and zero distortion. Everything sounds better and more full, as you'd expect.
Old 09-11-2021, 04:22 PM   #14
SWRocket

Having 2 different subs is typically not recommended.
Audio System Build Log