Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 09-03-2021, 02:38 AM   #1
donniedarko

Drives: 2021 LT1 A10 RS
Chevy Performance Non-NPP Install Experience

I just installed mine.

No experience. Think Im more mechanically inclined then I am. Come from sportbike world so figured I could handle this.

Search engine here and google very helpful. Thks guys.

Install sounded rudimentary, but concise intructions limited.

I used wedged ramps. I bought the Gear Wrench #2031DD exhaust and tail pipe cutter for 41$ shipped from Amazon.

Really poor instructions and very little descriptive install video. Only vid I could find was on LT1 V6.

So hopefully this helps out:

The ideal cut length. From the end of the suitcase exhaust flange [the lip on side of muffler bread box, at the end] toward the engine, on exhaust pipe, I measured 7 1/4”. That is almost exactly below the differential assembly bolts.

The large bolt, that point there is the spot to cut. It’s very apparent what I mean. And pictures hope show that.

This was perfect cut length to not have to take off rear 15 mm nuts to remove bumper hanger. No big removing but I prefer being efficient.

The Gear Wrench if you use it and newb like me; dont over grip, I contorted exhaust pipe a little bit. Use less grip more rotation/action and its very effective. I do own a sawzall in case but preferred a cleaner cut. The pipe cutter was a very pragmatic purchase. Beautiful cuts. And deburring was minimal and clean.

I used copper grease on the rubber hangers, and went through all of them.

The clamps I mounted asymmetrically. I might of preferred welding but If I keep this car I anticipate other exhaust build, so this works.

I weighed the exhaust components, few posts here speak of 40 lb saving are unfortunately incorrect, and bit rich per my measurements.

-The stock suitcase exhaust is exactly 30 lbs- NonNPP.
-The Chevrolet Performance exhaust [NonNPP] made by Borla. They weighed in at individually at 13 lbs each.

I anticipated a bigger diet. Only 30 lb vs 26 lb

Frankly the price was a mild chapper. I went with ShopChevyParts. Good vendor Ill say. 5% disc which covered shipping. About best price I could find. But the extra price just to not have to deal with warranty BS. Should of been 500$ not what it was….

The note on the car is quite baritone now, beautiful. & loud AF, for where I live in Venice Beach.

I purposely didn’t want to pay for NPP when I submitted my allocation. Thought a waste. I had it on my gf 16’ SS but didnt realize its benefit. I can see the sense of it now. My neighbors are not hyped on my car/exhaust lol

Lastly, I wanted to say Thank you to the forum and community. I come from Moto world pretty active on other forums. You guys are all about cars, low on bs. Pretty chill. Appreciate it.

Hope this helps anyone else update their SS or LT1 on their own like I did. Cheers
Attached Images

donniedarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 06:22 AM   #2
Richiefcknrich

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro SS 2SS
How that gear wrench cutter work? Pretty quick or take awhile?
Richiefcknrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 07:26 PM   #3
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
Don't forget to go to the dealer and get the ANC re-tune that comes with your kit. There should be an authorization code that comes on the instruction sheet.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote