Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Phastek Performance

Old 09-02-2021, 07:08 AM   #15
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
From what I understand the Bose was tweaked with the new radio version update in 2019. It is not night and day but it seems more realistic and channel seperation seems better. Subtle changes. A noticable improvement to my ears. But if you want ground shaking base and ear damaging volume the Bose is not for you. Go aftermarket.
Interesting. The Bose has very acceptable bass IMO for a stock system. No, it typically is not going to make your plates rattle and break your windows. At the same time, quality sound is not primarily bass... there is obviously a bit more that goes into it. I've never really understood the pitchforks some people hold for the Bose systems. Are they also worth the premium that is charged? Perhaps not, but I paid over $600 to have red brake calipers on my new car as opposed to black.. I think there are crazier things out there.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 07:15 AM   #16
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
Interesting. The Bose has very acceptable base IMO for a stock system. No, it typically is not going to make your plates rattle and break your windows. At the same time, quality sound is not primarily base... there is obviously a bit more that goes into it. I've never really understood the pitchforks some people hold for the Bose systems. Are they also worth the premium that is charged? Perhaps not, but I paid over $600 to have red brake calipers on my new car as opposed to black.. I think there are crazier things out there.
I have the Bose in both the wife's Impala and my Camaro, but not in my Tahoe. Sure wish I had it in my Tahoe. The Bose sounds so much nicer. I'm not of the age anymore that I want bone shaking loud. Just something that sounds good and in my opinion the Bose systems do that.
jamala00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 07:16 AM   #17
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
I'll add this.

I bought my 20 used (2,300 miles) from a deal in New York. I drove it 900 miles home and listened to every Soundgarden album(?) at volume from the start of the trip at 12am.

My first thought was that the previous owner changed the speakers, and said so to my wife when we spoke on the phone. I looked when I got it home and was suprised to see they were OE.

Recall. I daily drove 16 and 18 2SSes a total if 42,000 miles. I dropped the 18 off (trade) when I picked up the 20.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 08:23 AM   #18
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
I would assume the convertible top has SOMETHING to do with the difference as well. Sound quality is much more involved than simply having a "good" head unit, amp, speakers, etc. The environment in which the sound is heard can have a major impact on the perceived quality.
Yep, two fewer speakers… open air driving (for the most part) and I think I read somewhere that GM fools around with the frequency range top up and down (so, yes tuning most definitely has a lot to do with it) The bass response is pretty poor… you can play with the equalizer and the volume to make a song sound “ok”. Then another song comes on, and you’re way out of range of what the system can reasonably handle. The vert needs a subwoofer in a big way (thats a starting point). I will say that the Bose is light years better than my 2016 1SS vert. That stereo was truly an embarrassment (worst I’ve had in any car since the 1980’s) . Cranked up, I could barely hear it at highway speed w/ extremely poor separation. I added an amp, new rear side speakers with a line side converter and improved the experience 50%.

I’ve been in Porsche, BMW, and Audi convertibles… which sound pretty good. Granted, they’re higher end cars. The way I see it, there’s no reason that a Chevy convertible should sound so feeble / lack power and range in comparison….Other than it’s just not a priority for the bean counters and sound engineers.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 09:54 AM   #19
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
I would assume the convertible top has SOMETHING to do with the difference as well.
You lose the rear deck drivers and the hard reflective surface over them. In a small space like a car, that makes a difference.
I would suspect nothing changed in the Bose systems since 2016, other than changes necessary to interface with the new infotainment software and hardware.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 03:04 PM   #20
digitalfutur

Drives: 2018 Camaro RS 3.6 A8
I have the Bose 9 speaker setup in my '16 Malibu...it sounds quite good, but I wouldn't call it audiophile quality. Of course if you're listening to FM or lossy MP3s, you're not getting that level of sound quality anyway.

I have the stock stereo in my RS and I have to say the bass is the best I've heard in a stock system, as good as the Bose, as long as the volume is 40% or more. Sound image and upper frequencies are not as good as the Bose. However, the Bose does not sound $750 better than the stock system. I always have CarPlay running so an extra inch of screen doesn't matter with the Bose setup.

Honestly though, it's the engine and exhaust notes that matter in a Camaro, especially if you have NPP or aftermarket Borla, Flowmaster, etc. If you want a great stereo in a sporty car, get a GT sedan.
digitalfutur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 08:44 PM   #21
donniedarko

Drives: 2021 LT1 A10 RS
I optioned for the Tech 3.0 premium Bose.

For audiophiles it’ll be meh. But Im pleased with it. Way better then the 16 ss I had before.

The not being able to add a sub woofer with out a hassle is weird. Thats said it bumps pretty good.

Personally I opted for the above option because it does all updates OTA. Only time I want to go to the dealer is to pick up new car. SInce I troll receipt of my car in April Ive had two updates I noted.
donniedarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 09:54 PM   #22
BlackKnight2SS18
Account Suspended

Drives: 2018 2SS Redline
JL Audo. They make a nice trunk side bass sub speaker unit that fits in the trunk sidewall on the other side opposite from the battery compartment... completely hidden from view... as well as nice upgraded door speakers and several amp upgrades.

I have the bass sub unit, power amp, and door speakers in mine and it sounds better than any stock stereo setup from Porsche, BMW or LandRover, etc.
BlackKnight2SS18 is offline   Reply With Quote