Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 06-13-2021, 06:06 PM   #1
beedo

Drives: 18 2SS 1LE NFG
diminished value claim after accident?

Just wondering for anyone that has had an accident and filed a diminished value claim how much did you ask for. My 2018 2SS 1LE was hit in the left rear on the wheel, fender, bumper, suspension, and front end damage as I hit the curb and they said the cradle shifted. Estimate for the repair is at 8k right now not knowing what else will need repaired after the repair, aka suspension damage. Had to file a hit and run claim since I'm in Texas with illegals driving everywhere, but got my adjuster to accept the diminished value claim. He wants me to tell him how much it has diminished from the accident, does anyone have experience with this and if so how much did you ask for or get. Figured as big as this group is someone would know, thanks
beedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 06:30 PM   #2
DooIt

Drives: 21 SS 1LE M6 Red Hot
Typically you will lose $3000-$5000 in value on a late model vehicle with a bad Carfax report.
DooIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:30 AM   #3
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
The value is not set in stone It all depends on the severity of the damage, Carfax itself did a survey on this and found the average value lost in todays market is $500 to $2100

Quote from Carfax report.
According to Carfax data, damage can have a big impact on the price of a used car. The average hit to the retail price is about $500. That average impact on retail value jumps to $2,100 for a vehicle with severe damage in its past.
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:10 AM   #4
Envious_Ivy1LE

Drives: Krypton Green V6 1LE
that $500 - $2100 is retail value. most people don't sell cars themselves and most places you go to trade it into are going to ding you heavy for an accident, especially a multi impact collision. Some of the "no haggle" places similar to CarMax won't even take a car with an accident. I'd say the 3k to 5k estimate is better, especially for a sports car.

if the work hasn't been done yet, then your VIN Should still be clean on Carfax. try putting your vehicle info into something like vroom or another online "we'll buy your car" website and look at their offer difference between putting it in with no accident vs with the accident
Envious_Ivy1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:34 AM   #5
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Back in 2016 6 months after I bought my 2SS, the car was involved in a head on collision and my insurance company gave me a diminished value check which was about $1000.00. All total damage to car was over $18,000 when all was said and done.
Old 06-14-2021, 09:22 AM   #6
plus1zero
Don't tread on me

Drives: 23 Sierra X31, Past 2017 Fifty 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by beedo View Post
Just wondering for anyone that has had an accident and filed a diminished value claim how much did you ask for. My 2018 2SS 1LE was hit in the left rear on the wheel, fender, bumper, suspension, and front end damage as I hit the curb and they said the cradle shifted. Estimate for the repair is at 8k right now not knowing what else will need repaired after the repair, aka suspension damage. Had to file a hit and run claim since I'm in Texas with illegals driving everywhere, but got my adjuster to accept the diminished value claim. He wants me to tell him how much it has diminished from the accident, does anyone have experience with this and if so how much did you ask for or get. Figured as big as this group is someone would know, thanks
If you've got suspension damage I'd recommend you request they total it and pay you what it's worth in today's market, because if the suspension is damaged, not only is there a possibility it'll never drive the same again, it'll be a hard sell. I had an F-150 that was rear-ended, all that it needed to be fixed was a bumper and new tailgate because of a slight dent in it. I drove it home, took pics, etc. and the carfax said "major structural damage" despite there not being any and being able to prove that with pictures and being able to have the mechanic back it up, it was really, really hard to sell.
plus1zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 04:01 PM   #7
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by beedo View Post

My second one, the more severe one that did $1200 I got hit hard from behind from a 90 yr old. Luckily it was a sedan and hit me square in the bumper. However still needed a new bumper.

When I tried to do diminished claims from his insurance which was Progressive their claims adjusted was a pr*ck regarding it and wanting all kinds of stuff and no help. For the little value it was it simply wouldn't been worth paying a lawyer a few hundred dollars to file the claim and only getting a few hundred dollar check, washing it out.

If my SS though gets into one and it's more money yes I'm paying for a lawyer to get me a check so I don't get burned. My used one had a very minor collision on the carfax when I looked at the history before I bought it. For the deal I got though it wasn't a big deal.

Here in Florida it's hard to find clean carfax cars without some minor collisions due to all the old people side swiping, etc. in parking lots.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 05:21 PM   #8
mcintyre1969

Drives: 1968 SS/RS, 2006 H2 2016 2SS White
A drunk old bag hit one of my new cars at a restaurant, less than 2k miles on it, I got $900. She told her drunk husband, the car was black, I didn't see it. Next day she tells her insurance agent I was on the cell phone, which I wasn't.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:27 PM   #9
Pupilbone

Drives: 2019 Crush ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
Back in 2016 6 months after I bought my 2SS, the car was involved in a head on collision and my insurance company gave me a diminished value check which was about $1000.00. All total damage to car was over $18,000 when all was said and done.
Wow, that’s too bad. Hope you’re ok after that (if you were in it at the time, not sure with your wording).
Old 06-14-2021, 08:31 PM   #10
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Yes Pupilbone I just had a very sore chest from the shoulder belt. And of course I was 5 years younger too. The collision was on the passenger side in the front but most of the front end parts were replaced. I kept having some issues after the repairs so I decided to get rid of it and that’s when I found the used 2017 ZL1 in March of 2019.
Old 06-14-2021, 08:43 PM   #11
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintyre1969 View Post
A drunk old bag hit one of my new cars at a restaurant, less than 2k miles on it, I got $900. She told her drunk husband, the car was black, I didn't see it. Next day she tells her insurance agent I was on the cell phone, which I wasn't.

Old people and cars. Yet they get cheap insurance! Look at the 90 year old who hit my Mustang I posted about. Same with young women get cheaper insurance as well even though it seems they don't know how to park or back out of parking spaces because they're too busy taking selfies. btw that isn't a sexist comment but I see it all the time.
Old 06-15-2021, 09:57 AM   #12
Infamus

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
I'm in Fla and the law varies accordingly. My wife was hit at an intersection by a lady on meds. She was in our AMG GLE 63 the car was 2 years old and over $100K when we purchased it. We used an attorney to file a diminished claim, I also engaged a professional car estimator who does diminished value claims for a living, he takes your cars KBB value before the accident, also does a comparison of vehicle sales in your area with and without accident damage and comes up with a value.
The loss for our AMG was estimated at $20K. I actually tested it and went to AutoNation and had them give me trade value and it was $30K below KBB. Long story short our attorney was able to negotiate a payout of $10K from All State and it took three months. You need an attorney, a professional estimate and plenty of patience.
Infamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 10:39 AM   #13
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamus View Post
I'm in Fla and the law varies accordingly. My wife was hit at an intersection by a lady on meds. She was in our AMG GLE 63 the car was 2 years old and over $100K when we purchased it. We used an attorney to file a diminished claim, I also engaged a professional car estimator who does diminished value claims for a living, he takes your cars KBB value before the accident, also does a comparison of vehicle sales in your area with and without accident damage and comes up with a value.
The loss for our AMG was estimated at $20K. I actually tested it and went to AutoNation and had them give me trade value and it was $30K below KBB. Long story short our attorney was able to negotiate a payout of $10K from All State and it took three months. You need an attorney, a professional estimate and plenty of patience.
Sounds fitting. Our state is full of pill heads.