Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 03-16-2021, 01:48 PM   #1
Paulie-G

Drives: 2SS 1LE & ZR2
Mid pipe-Xpipe question.

I just got a set of the AWE performance link pipes and I'm curious if it's any benefit installing a mid pipe x pipe setup like the Borla system.
I primarily got the link pipes for a sound change.
I plan on keeping the factory npp muffler.
I'd like to get long tubes with green cats but now I'm not sure if any tunes will be available. Thanks EPA.
Paulie-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 03:07 PM   #2
jb_camaro_2ss

Drives: 2017 2SS M6 Arctic Blue
The SS comes with an x-pipe stock, so the sound won't make much of difference switching to another x-pipe. The link pipes will make the exhaust louder because it eliminates the secondary cats. As for exhaust note, the link pipes alone probably won't sound much different.

I have an AWE full catback with link pipes, touring edition. It is louder than my stock NPP and has a less raspy, more aggressive tone. The difference in sound really comes from the replacement of the NPP muffler, and/or if you switch to long tubes.

Last thing - I believe the diameter of the AWE link pipes is larger than stock SS pipes.

jb_camaro_2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 07:01 PM   #3
Paulie-G

Drives: 2SS 1LE & ZR2
Thanks jb.

Its been raining here so this weekend I'll verify the stock exhaust diameter.

The link pipe exit diameter is 2.75it sounds like I might just need a axle back system that retains the npp.
Paulie-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 07:57 PM   #4
seethruya

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1 Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_camaro_2ss View Post
The SS comes with an x-pipe stock, so the sound won't make much of difference switching to another x-pipe. The link pipes will make the exhaust louder because it eliminates the secondary cats. As for exhaust note, the link pipes alone probably won't sound much different.

I have an AWE full catback with link pipes, touring edition. It is louder than my stock NPP and has a less raspy, more aggressive tone. The difference in sound really comes from the replacement of the NPP muffler, and/or if you switch to long tubes.

Last thing - I believe the diameter of the AWE link pipes is larger than stock SS pipes.
I started with and progressed to the following over 2 months.

1. NPP and stock piping.
2. NPP delete, secondary cat delete, Dynomax race mini bullet mufflers, stock piping from former secondary cat location to the crushed pipe section behind the axle.
3. Replaced all the stock piping including crossover with 3” piping from the main cats back, kept the Dynomax race mini bullet mufflers. (https://www.speed-engineering.com/sh...2l-engine.html)

While removing the stock crossover and crushed pipes won’t have a dramatic effect on the exhaust note, it does have a noticeable affect on the fullness and deepness of the exhaust note in a positive way. That change also eliminated all the rasp I was still having over 5,000rpms. The exhaust note does not break or crack all the way to redline.

While some of the improvement could be attributed to the increase from 2.75” to 3” diameter piping, I think a lot of it can be attributed to the removal of the stock piping. As going from step 1 to step 2 removed some but not all of the rasp.
seethruya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 08:38 AM   #5
SHE'Z 18

Drives: 18 ZL1 - M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie-G View Post
Thanks jb.

Its been raining here so this weekend I'll verify the stock exhaust diameter.

The link pipe exit diameter is 2.75it sounds like I might just need a axle back system that retains the npp.
Paulie,
Are you eventually planning on changing over to a Cat-Back AWE system? The reason I ask is b/c you mentioned going to a NPP type of Axle-Back. I think that, even if you can use the PLP's to link up to the stock exhaust pipes, you'll likely have to do some intense work to get them to connect together. Reason being, from the secondary cats back, there's no break in the system. In order to make those PLP's work best, you may want to consider just getting a AWE Cat-Back system. As far as I know, the AWE PLP's will only connect / work with an AWE system. I was on the fence about purchasing the last set of PLP's from the RDP Store, But, it sounds like you may have beaten me to the punch.. LOL. I was looking at matching them up with the AWE CB "resonated" system. The couple videos that i found sound awesome..

I'm looking forward to seeing how you can make them work. In any case, you'll only make things better. Good luck brother...

SHE'Z 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 09:02 AM   #6
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHE'Z 18 View Post
Paulie,
Are you eventually planning on changing over to a Cat-Back AWE system? The reason I ask is b/c you mentioned going to a NPP type of Axle-Back. I think that, even if you can use the PLP's to link up to the stock exhaust pipes, you'll likely have to do some intense work to get them to connect together. Reason being, from the secondary cats back, there's no break in the system.
A little cutting and welding with maybe a couple of exhaust tubing reducers maybe.

Not exactly "intense work".

Norm