Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 03-10-2021, 07:54 PM   #1
Deadpool Z

Drives: Chevrolet ZL1
AWE Touring Axleback install issue.

Did anyone here have issues with their AWE Touring axle back when installing?

I just received my Quad tip Touring Axle Back today through a vendor and took the liberty to install it today. However, I noticed that 1 out of the 4 exhaust tips were out of round at the clamp end. I ended up putting it on to see if it'll form back but now I ended up breaking a exhaust tip clamp trying to get it at least to bite on the exhaust pipe.

I bought some T Clamps and they should arrive tomorrow.

So while I am waiting on that I couldn't help myself to hear the car run. After I started the car I've noticed that it sounds like there is something loose inside the right muffler. I checked all my connections and I found nothing loose. So I am going to give it a few days to see if it clears up.

My dear wife isn't happy with me and the purchase that I made because I took the money from my kitchen remodel fund so she now refers it as the bastard exhaust purchase.

However, I do love the way it sounds.

Last edited by Deadpool Z; 03-11-2021 at 11:08 AM.
Deadpool Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 08:24 PM   #2
beedo

Drives: 18 2SS 1LE NFG
My cat back was the exact same way, most of the pipes were severely crimped. Had to get clamps from autozone. To get enough clamp pressure to seat them,a couple I had to pound out with a hammer to get the tips on
beedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 08:59 PM   #3
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Boss just installed an AWE set, he said the clamps were pretty crap too.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 09:01 PM   #4
Deadpool Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by beedo View Post
My cat back was the exact same way, most of the pipes were severely crimped. Had to get clamps from autozone. To get enough clamp pressure to seat them,a couple I had to pound out with a hammer to get the tips on
I may have to pound it back to round. We’ll see with these new t clamps. I’d hate to use some 2 bolt exhaust clamps just for exhaust tips on a $1000+ exhaust.
Old 03-11-2021, 02:09 AM   #5
beedo

Drives: 18 2SS 1LE NFG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpool Z View Post
I may have to pound it back to round. We’ll see with these new t clamps. I’d hate to use some 2 bolt exhaust clamps just for exhaust tips on a $1000+ exhaust.
I had to use them at the secondary cat connections, they were 1/4" too big. Yea I was pissed dropping 1800.00 on a cat back and had to take a hammer to get it to fit. Agree it the clamps are shit.
Also, make sure you check the tips every so often, mine came loose after the instal. Im debating on taking them and having them tack welded on, no telling how much a tip cost if it fell of!
beedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 06:46 AM   #6
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Be aware when I had AWE axle back install problems and said I'd just get it welded up because of the adapter and the clamp problems I had on both sides, they kindly offered to void my warranty on it because I modified it. The way the things are packaged as I recall from two years ago it'd be pretty hard to jack it up in shipping, probably left manufacturing fouled up.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:45 AM   #7
Umbriel

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
I installed an AWE system on mine a year ago and had zero problems with anything. Maybe you should contact them and see if they will help out?
Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:57 AM   #8
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
Call AWE and voice your concern's. I have had the axel back Touring system for over 2 years with zero problems.
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 11:54 AM   #9
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpool Z View Post
Unbelievable! That is highway robbery right there, makes me infinitely happier i went with a $100 muffler delete instead. I really hope they stand by their product and sort you out.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 12:37 PM   #10
Umbriel

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEornothing View Post
Unbelievable! That is highway robbery right there, makes me infinitely happier i went with a $100 muffler delete instead. I really hope they stand by their product and sort you out.
AWE definitely sounds better than no muffler take my word on it, especially with headers. If I were him I would just contact them and I am sure they will correct whatever issues he has, mine went on without any issues at all.
Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 01:10 PM   #11
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbriel View Post
AWE definitely sounds better than no muffler take my word on it, especially with headers. If I were him I would just contact them and I am sure they will correct whatever issues he has, mine went on without any issues at all.
Yea no headers here yet man, got 4 years of warranty left, and I needed some sound over the factory non npp set up. Sounds suprisinngly good with all the factory exhaust behind the muffler delete.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:28 PM   #12
Vaska

Drives: On Hiatus
I had the same problem, one of the tips just didn’t want to go on. Eventually made it fit with a little massaging and swapping them around to find the best spot.
Vaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 08:57 PM   #13
Deadpool Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaska View Post
I had the same problem, one of the tips just didn’t want to go on. Eventually made it fit with a little massaging and swapping them around to find the best spot.
I ended up doing just that. Massaging the exhaust tip and installed a new clamp. We'll see how long it'll take before they vibrate off lol.
Old 03-15-2021, 09:12 PM   #14
OVRKLL

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE...makes me go YeeeHaw!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbriel View Post
I installed an AWE system on mine a year ago and had zero problems with anything. Maybe you should contact them and see if they will help out?
Same here...2019 Thanksgiving day weekend, and had no problems. All the parts looked good as they should.
And yes, the packaging was definitely done right!
I would not try to modify it to make it fit, send some pics and let them decided or you may void your warranty.