Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-28-2021, 01:39 PM   #1
MR's 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS Vert/M6/F250 SD
Oils and filters. Opinions and research

OK, 2SS Vert. M-6. Feb. 28, 2021. Daily Driver. About 10,000 to 12,000 miles/year.
As always lots of debate over lubes and filters. Lots of research available. OEM requirements.
I was about to use the same DEXOS 1 Valvoline Synpower 5w-30 I use in my 6.2 Ford in my truck. It is justifiable per the owners manual. Not for track use.
Thinking about the Mobil 1 0w 40 too. Some info says the DEXOS 2 cert if for diesel engines. Diesel oils usually have higher detergent. Some guys are reluctant to use 0w anything.
I am planning to change tranny and rear axle fluids at 20,000 mile intervals. Or 15,000. Depends how it goes. Most indications are stock lubes suck. Ive had good experience with Redline gear lubes in my bikes. Was going to use that.
Also saw some mention somewhere about either a tranny or diff filter? Im thinking it was in the auto...
So I wanted to start a thread to hear all the opinions and arguments over lubes and filters?
Old 03-01-2021, 09:49 AM   #2
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Do what the owner's manual says.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:41 AM   #3
Crushin_LT1

Drives: 2021 LT1 6spd
either the special 0w-40 Dexos 2 or the 5w-30 Dexos1Gen2 are fine, use the recommended acelco filter PF64 i believe. They're cheap.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:18 PM   #4
MR's 2SS

Yea I know what the manual says. Im just looking to hear what people are doing. I have 50 years of opinions on lubes and filters. I know theres plenty of thread on here about all that. Just wanted to start a new one.
I mean, Harley tells you to use their products. Their manual is a joke. Everything tells you to take it to your authorized dealership. I mean adjusting your headlight... Take it to your authorized dealer or possible injury or death may result.
Air in the tires.,.. possible injury or death... use thier oil.. possible engine damage could result. They dont tell you one single thing.
The Camaro Manual is pretty good by comparison.
Owners of enthusiast vehicles have opinions based on some pretty good experience.
I like Redline gear lubes in my bikes. Use Valvoline in my trucks. Full synth.
I was thinking about using the same 5w30 DEXOS 1 Valvoline I use in all my other vehicles. (heard Valvoline no longer states DEXOS or they lost the rating) And Redline in the tranny and rear. But one guy in here put the fear of god in me about choosing the 5w 30 over the Mobil 1 0w40.
I was making that choice for convenience and based on the manual saying 0w for racing "BUT" if not available 5w30 for street use.
So Im just wanting to generate opinions a while before I buy anything.
And yes the filters are readily available and inexpensive. Theres Wix part numbers. A few bucks more but I dont know for sure they are any better at all.
Old 03-02-2021, 07:51 AM   #5
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
ASIDE from sdpecific racing applications, the other 99% of the time you'll only know the difference in your wallet being lighter by perhaps deviating from the manual. That car will run perfectly fine on 5W-30. Not a single thing is going to be better with 0W-40.

or "dexos"...so an oil maker didn't payoff GM in order to put that on their bottle. Aside from a better detergent profile in DI engines, they didn't pony up the bucks to be in bed with GM. Again, you change your oil at specified intervals and this Dexos is a non-starter in the game.

Use a major manuf full syn 5W-30, or 0W-40...the rest is just static.

Very opinionated topic as you note.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:30 AM   #6
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Do what the owner's manual says.
This^^^. GM’s engineers did not just take names of filters, oils and fluids out of a hat and put them in the owners manual. At best, switching fluids/filters will never cause you to notice any difference in any aspect of your vehicle’s performance or longevity. At worse, you may run into engine issues and/or warranty problems. I would never trust the investment in my Camaro to an internet poll on who is using what fluids, motor oils or filters. Why trust a bunch of complete strangers over the people who built it and know how it should be maintained.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 05:46 AM   #7
Silverado57

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
If using an aftermarket oil filter, what are the best options?
Old 03-05-2021, 06:09 AM   #8
Invertalon

Drives: 2021 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado57 View Post
If using an aftermarket oil filter, what are the best options?

There is no 'best', just differing opinions...

Pick one you like and enjoy. But it is recommended to pick one out with the same bypass rating and such as the PF-64 which I believe is 22 PSI.

Honestly, OEM filters are great and I'd just stick with that.
Invertalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 06:29 AM   #9
Silverado57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invertalon View Post
There is no 'best', just differing opinions...

Pick one you like and enjoy. But it is recommended to pick one out with the same bypass rating and such as the PF-64 which I believe is 22 PSI.

Honestly, OEM filters are great and I'd just stick with that.
Thanks.
I recently had an oil change at a Chevy dealer that put in 8 quarts instead of 10. I won't be going back there again!
There's a local guy that does a good job using Dexos 5-30 (or Mobil 1 if you like) but he didn't have the stock filter.
I'm leaning towards the Wix WL102090XP which has the 22 PSI rating.
Old 03-05-2021, 06:12 PM   #10
MR's 2SS

What dealer did you go to in NJ that didnt know how many qts their own car takes?
I will likely go in for my free oil change but Im doing it myself after that.
Im scared of taking my vehicles to the dealers...
Old 03-05-2021, 08:55 PM   #11
Silverado57

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR's 2SS View Post
What dealer did you go to in NJ that didnt know how many qts their own car takes?
I will likely go in for my free oil change but Im doing it myself after that.
Im scared of taking my vehicles to the dealers...
Sorry, I need to update my status, we're in Tennessee now. That dealer was in Virginia.
When we were in NJ I used Schumacher in Denville (where I bought the Camaro) and McGuire in Newton. Both were great!
Old 03-06-2021, 06:04 AM   #12
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
i use the WL10255XP filter and rotella t6 5-40 diesel oil.
Old 03-06-2021, 06:19 AM   #13
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
It looks like Schumacher owns almost every dealer in north jersey. Not a fan.

Interesting on the rotella t6, I have 4 gallons of t6 0w40 and got rid of the car I bought it for. That’s a good idea I’m gonna run it in the SS
Old 03-06-2021, 06:34 AM   #14
cmfhsu

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
I wonder if 2019+ cars mandate Mobil1 0w40 ESP to mitigate the risk of plugging up the cats with that new crackle tune. I'm no oil expert, but when I hear "Emissions System Protection" and "pops and bangs tune", I put two and two together and run the ESP.

It helps that I don't have to change the oil for track and autocross days, though, for sure.
cmfhsu is offline   Reply With Quote