Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 03-29-2016, 11:16 AM   #1
Drachs

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Engine Dead, Dealer says Chevy will Deny Warranty over lack of maintenance records

So my 2011 Camaro has had frequent oil pump problems. Twice in the last two years the dealership has replaced the oil pump under warranty. (Once in Aug of 2014 and once in Nov 2015). This time when I had it towed in the tech noticed that there was no oil pressure in the high end. They think that some sort of constriction in the high end has been destroying the oil and ruining the pumps. He said the oil was ruined, that it was "burnt" and in terrible shape.

It failed on the previous Friday night. When it was towed in on Monday they told me my GM warranty ended that day (Expired date of 3/21, I brought it in on 3/21) and it would have to be handled under the extended warranty, which they say is also by GM but under a different name.

Then they asked for my maintenance records. I never kept any receipts from my oil changes. He says that I need to have proof of about 10 oil changes, I only have proof of the three that the dealership themselves has done. I went to the two companies that had done my oil changes in the past and neither has records going back further than a year.

10 seems awful high, the manual says that the oil must be replaced at least once a year, or whenever the oil monitoring system says it needs to be replaced. I've only ever seen the oil maintenance indicator twice and both times got it changed immediately. I've only had it 5 years, that would seem to me to mean that I should only have to prove 5 oil changes at worst.

Even the oil changes they have on record show at least one change a year going back three years. (I did have it changed more frequently than that).

But they're trying to say that the damage happened much further back, before the first oil pump failed (During the period for which I can't provide any proof that the oil was being changed).

I don't see how they could claim the damage happened way back then, that they failed to determine the actual cause twice, and now try to make me pay out of pocket for what they expect to be an engine replacement that is both a three year old pre-existing condition but also not covered under my warranty because I brought it in on the last day, but that's what they say is going to happen. They insist that the car requires oil changes much more frequently than the manual and the oil monitoring system indicate and if I can't prove that that happened then the issue is on me.

Is there any way to appeal their decision? What would I even do? Am I in the wrong here?

Last edited by Drachs; 03-29-2016 at 11:28 AM.
Drachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:25 AM   #2
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Give GM a call, this dealership is just being a pain. Having a history of oil pump failures and repairs is enough for GM to know that it was likely caused by those failures. If your car was dropped off THE day your warranty expires it is still under warranty. If it was a day later then TECHNICALLY it's out, but the dealer can goodwill the repairs. Sounds like this dealership is just being a jerk and trying not to cover what is right. Calling GM will go over their head and basically force them to do the right thing. Personally I would get GM involved and request it be done at another dealership to ensure a proper repair is done. A tech that is expecting to get higher hours under customer pay and gets told he is doing it for a lower warranty time by GM is likely going to cut corners and put it on the back burner.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:32 PM   #3
Taco Time

Drives: 2014 1SS
You could reach out to the Chevy Customer Service Rep here on the forum. They've been very helpful for me in the past. They'll open a case up for you. And like Jer said above, request it be taken to a different dealer.

And if the problem happened three years ago, they should have fixed it three years ago. Under warranty.
Taco Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 01:38 PM   #4
Drachs

Who's the customer service rep on the forums?
Old 03-29-2016, 02:07 PM   #5
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Go to the Chevrolet owner center and log in. You can put your service information in the maintenance section. That is where you will also see where a dealership puts in service information about your car. Pretty handy.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:08 PM   #6
Taco Time

Drives: 2014 1SS
Chevrolet Customer Service Rep
Taco Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 04:24 PM   #7
Drachs

Thanks for your help guys. Here's an update about what happened. After the GM rep contacted the dealership the service manager called me, and it seemed like their whole attitude changed. I didn't get any trouble from them about maintenance records after that. Their tech tore down the engine and diagnosed the problem as a cam shaft delamination that sent fine metal fragments through the engine that damaged the cam bearings, crank bearings and crankshaft. His opinion is that it was caused by a manufacturing defect, and was the ultimate cause of the two oil pump replacements that I've had in the last two years.

GM replaced my engine and it looks from the paperwork like they did it under the GM warranty and not the GMPP.

It took the dealership 25 days to replace the engine from start to finish, and the warranty only covered 5 days of rental car coverage, so I was stuck with 20 days. The dealership charged me $40 a day for the rental, which is pretty pricey but my rental was a nicer car. I'd have probably chosen something cheaper if I had realized it was going to be so much. The fee for the rental ended up being $765. While the engine was torn apart, I also had them replace my clutch, which they did for $754.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:28 PM   #8
@jrss

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Dammm that sucks
@jrss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 04:33 PM   #9
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
25 days is WAY to long to replace an engine. Looks like you were put on the back burner because you called GM. Regardless, I would not go back there even for a recall, or to order parts you put on yourself. They don't deserve a dime of your money.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 04:44 PM   #10
Cully77
FOUR T 5

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drachs View Post
Thanks for your help guys. Here's an update about what happened. After the GM rep contacted the dealership the service manager called me, and it seemed like their whole attitude changed. I didn't get any trouble from them about maintenance records after that. Their tech tore down the engine and diagnosed the problem as a cam shaft delamination that sent fine metal fragments through the engine that damaged the cam bearings, crank bearings and crankshaft. His opinion is that it was caused by a manufacturing defect, and was the ultimate cause of the two oil pump replacements that I've had in the last two years.

GM replaced my engine and it looks from the paperwork like they did it under the GM warranty and not the GMPP.

It took the dealership 25 days to replace the engine from start to finish, and the warranty only covered 5 days of rental car coverage, so I was stuck with 20 days. The dealership charged me $40 a day for the rental, which is pretty pricey but my rental was a nicer car. I'd have probably chosen something cheaper if I had realized it was going to be so much. The fee for the rental ended up being $765. While the engine was torn apart, I also had them replace my clutch, which they did for $754.
Why would YOU be paying for the car if you were having warranty work? No way I would accept that. I've never paid for a loaner from my dealership, but to be fair to them they've never asked me to.
Old 04-22-2016, 05:22 PM   #11
Pete G

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE
Sorry you got stuck with the rental fee but at least the engine was covered.
I had a dealer keep my previous Camaro for a week to replace a clutch under warranty along with each the rear view mirror so I guess 25 days for an engine is on par.
Probably was 3 days for the job and 22 days for paperwork.
Pete G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:53 PM   #12
ghosted
BCS Auto

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LS
I mirror what others have said, if the cause of repair is a warranty item, GM is liable for the vehicle rental. In my area, it equates to covering about $38 a day for vehicle rental while repairs are being performed.

BCS Auto on Facebook - - - Follow me on Instagram @datv6tho & @officialbcsauto
ghosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:55 PM   #13
DILLIGAF

Drives: 2023 ZL1 M6 Rapid Blue
yeah just an FYI, engine replacement for my cadillac ATS took 20 hours.
Old 04-23-2016, 12:26 AM   #14
Drachs

To be fair, I suppose it only took them 21 days. My understanding is it was ready for pickup last Friday. I was out of town that weekend though late Tuesday night, and I wasn't able to actually pick up until Wednesday.

The actual engine replacement didn't take much time at all, of course. Most of the time it was just sitting there not being worked on. I think the actual replacement only took a day.

I was most surprised by the price of the rental, I can get a rental car in town for $10 a day. I was not expecting $40 a day. I should have asked what the rate would be. Last time I had warranty work done I also had to eat some rental time but it was much closer to the $10 a day rate I can get for myself.