Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Phastek Performance

Old 08-31-2021, 09:27 AM   #1
KindaOrange

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
Swapping Run-Flats to Non Run-Flats?

Hi folks,

Tires are on/nearing the wear bars, so looking to replace the factory GY EF1A3's on my '18 2SS. Moved to a new state with potential for snow in winters (low amounts on average?) and the Camaro is my DD (although I typically try not to drive much during winter anyways). She does see occasional track days during summer & fall.

Was thinking of either replacing with the factory GYEF1A3's again, since I like the run-flat feature & don't carry a jack + spare with me, but am a little concerned about winter. Really don't want to destroy the rubber during winter (avg temp ~35-45 degree highs).

Also thinking about the Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season 4, but can't find run-flats... seems they don't make the run-flat model in our size (245-40r20 front, 275-35r20 rear).

Does anyone with the staggered setup run non-run-flats? what's your take after replacing? Are you concerned about getting stranded if the tires take a nail while driving?

Anybody decided to go with a summer & winter tire setup? (2 sets)

Thanks,
KindaOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 11:34 AM   #2
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
There are really a lot of existing threads on this.

Sounds like maybe you should look for all-season run flats.

I have two sets of wheels and used all-seasons in the winter, switching to the factory tires in summer until I wore them out. Now two sets of all-season. I carry a jack, air pump, and tire plug tools in the trunk, as I am comfortable repairing my own tires for the common puncture. Backup is AAA for catastrophic damage.

There is also the option of buying a small spare to carry in the trunk.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 11:48 AM   #3
KindaOrange

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
There are really a lot of existing threads on this.

Sounds like maybe you should look for all-season run flats.

I have two sets of wheels and used all-seasons in the winter, switching to the factory tires in summer until I wore them out. Now two sets of all-season. I carry a jack, air pump, and tire plug tools in the trunk, as I am comfortable repairing my own tires for the common puncture. Backup is AAA for catastrophic damage.

There is also the option of buying a small spare to carry in the trunk.
Which all-season have you opted for? Are they run flat?
Old 08-31-2021, 01:49 PM   #4
ctrlz

I am a long-standing member of the "I Hate Run-Flats Club" we have going here at Camaro6.
Reasons:
1) Noise
2) Harsh ride
3) The summer version we get becomes very slippery when temps dip below the 40's and can crack in the 20's.
4) Poor wet grip.
5) The sidewalls start to collapse as soon as you actually drive on a flat. You can only go so far for so long. While they can get you home or to a shop, chances are quite good you will need a brand new run-flat tire once you get there.

I bought a set of 5-spoke wheels off ebay and put on General Gmax As-05's. Those became my winter wheels.
When I wore out the run-flats, I put BF Goodrich Comp 2 A/S plus on my 50th anniv wheels.
Stock sizes for both sets of all-seasons (the stock staggered setup). Neither the Generals nor the BFG's are run-flats.
Old 08-31-2021, 01:59 PM   #5
BrandanK

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
https://www.google.com/search?q=CAMA...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Sometimes the forum search doesn't work too well. Google does a pretty good job if you insert "Camaro6" into the search phrase. I have found this works best.
BrandanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 02:23 PM   #6
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
I am a long-standing member of the "I Hate Run-Flats Club" we have going here at Camaro6.
Reasons:
1) Noise
2) Harsh ride
3) The summer version we get becomes very slippery when temps dip below the 40's and can crack in the 20's.
4) Poor wet grip.
5) The sidewalls start to collapse as soon as you actually drive on a flat. You can only go so far for so long. While they can get you home or to a shop, chances are quite good you will need a brand new run-flat tire once you get there.
I'm with ctrlz for the first 4 reasons, not sure about #5 as I never had a puncture while on runflat tires. The PS4S set I'm running is as quiet as it gets, the ride is noticeably better, plus it handles wet pavement and even big puddles like a champ, all the way down to low 40s, and I didn't have traction issues when I had to drive once (carefully) in 34-degree weather.

The tradeoff to gain all this is that the PS4S isn't the king of straight line dry traction, although it's probably better at the stock SS power level.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 08:10 PM   #7
KindaOrange

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
I'm with ctrlz for the first 4 reasons, not sure about #5 as I never had a puncture while on runflat tires. The PS4S set I'm running is as quiet as it gets, the ride is noticeably better, plus it handles wet pavement and even big puddles like a champ, all the way down to low 40s, and I didn't have traction issues when I had to drive once (carefully) in 34-degree weather.

The tradeoff to gain all this is that the PS4S isn't the king of straight line dry traction, although it's probably better at the stock SS power level.
I had a nail in the OEM run-flats once. Leaked air until empty. Next morning, filled 'em with air (slowly leaking again) & drove down to my buddy's shop down the highway and plugged it that afternoon. Didn't worry one bit.

Hence why I'm reluctant to let them go... and they've lasted 36k miles

Also drove them in DC's winter last year (highs were pretty stable through winter at ~40 though). Never had major issues with traction outside of the 1 day it slushed outside and I had to head straight back home.

Def drove "beyond spiritedly" in some 60 degree weather in them with no issues... hmmm

Last edited by KindaOrange; 08-31-2021 at 10:30 PM.
Old 08-31-2021, 09:28 PM   #8
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
I'm afraid if you run any track days on any all-season, you will overheat and chunk the tread blocks. They just aren't made for that use, and the tread designs always create a lot more squirm, which creates more heat. You sound like a candidate for a second set of base-model 18x8.5 Camaro wheels with dedicated all-season or even winter performance tires.
Old 09-01-2021, 09:38 AM   #9
KindaOrange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
I'm afraid if you run any track days on any all-season, you will overheat and chunk the tread blocks. They just aren't made for that use, and the tread designs always create a lot more squirm, which creates more heat. You sound like a candidate for a second set of base-model 18x8.5 Camaro wheels with dedicated all-season or even winter performance tires.
Appreciate the insight Msquared.

Decided to order a new set of these OEM's. Can't speak to other's experience, but mine have been great. 36k miles, multiple track days, nail-in-the-tire, drove 'em in DC winters (exc a few days here & there). Tough tires, really can't complain.

The dry performance is unbelievable, this car feels so planted, I'd hate to lose that feeling. Have gone through some seriously tight corners at high speed in these.

In winter, I'm just sure to drive conservatively, while understanding I bought a near 500 horsepower racecar. If it absolutely comes down to buying a separate winter set, so be it. It's not a jeep, I've come to terms with this. ahahaha

Last edited by KindaOrange; 09-01-2021 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-01-2021, 10:14 AM   #10
ctrlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindaOrange View Post
If it absolutely comes down to buying a separate winter set, so be it.
I grew up in Reading, PA. Spent 13 yrs in school and residency in Philly. Now live in Cape May County, NJ. I have relatives in Exton.
I could not (safely) get through Cape May winters on the summer tires. And I'm pretty sure we see milder winters here than Exton. Now, how much risk one is willing to accept is relative. But I thought it was worth $1300 or so to spring for winter wheels and tires. When I bought the wheels, ebay was a good spot to find 5 spoke wheels that basically made the trip new from the dealer to a tire shop, where new aftermarket wheels went on. The only other thing I needed to buy was the TPMS relearn tool which was $10 on amazon.
Old 09-01-2021, 03:12 PM   #11
KindaOrange

Quote:
I grew up in Reading, PA. Spent 13 yrs in school and residency in Philly. Now live in Cape May County, NJ. I have relatives in Exton.
I could not (safely) get through Cape May winters on the summer tires. And I'm pretty sure we see milder winters here than Exton. Now, how much risk one is willing to accept is relative. But I thought it was worth $1300 or so to spring for winter wheels and tires. When I bought the wheels, ebay was a good spot to find 5 spoke wheels that basically made the trip new from the dealer to a tire shop, where new aftermarket wheels went on. The only other thing I needed to buy was the TPMS relearn tool which was $10 on amazon.
Nice I appreciate the extra detail, very helpful. I'm thinking I'll just do a winter set (seems many do that). I also spoke with a gentleman in my apt building who mentioned he runs summer & winter setups on his Audi A7 & I guess he helped convince me haha
Old 09-01-2021, 08:01 PM   #12
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
I have Continentals non RF.....I hate RF. Noisey ride hard, etc.... I keep a air pump and fix a flat in my trunk....

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote