Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 02-29-2024, 08:35 PM   #1
Vettethret

Drives: 2023 ZL1 1LE
GIRODISC BRAKES...

My BC RS 45 should be here shortly. This set up should shave 20+lbs of un-sprung weight. I am looking at the Girodisc rotors that would shave another 20 pounds. 40LBS of un-sprung weight is a massive reduction.

My question is for the guys whop have actually replaced the factor rotors with this set up, did you notice any difference in handling on the car?

2023 ZL1 1LE 19" BC Forged RS45- 325/345 Toyo R888R, KPMF Satin Pearl Wrap, GT Huas Exhaust. Incoming- Girodisc- Heads/Cam
Vettethret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 09:32 PM   #2
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettethret View Post
My BC RS 45 should be here shortly. This set up should shave 20+lbs of un-sprung weight. I am looking at the Girodisc rotors that would shave another 20 pounds. 40LBS of un-sprung weight is a massive reduction.

My question is for the guys whop have actually replaced the factor rotors with this set up, did you notice any difference in handling on the car?
40 pound drop on a 4000 pound car is literally 1% difference…. Driving your car with a quarter tank of fuel instead of full is a bigger weight difference. I’m not knocking it…god knows I’ve obsessed over even lessor weight savings lol… but not going to be an earth changing thing.
Old 02-29-2024, 09:39 PM   #3
Sephx1

Drives: 18 ZLE, 18 SS1LE, 16 SS, 23 ZL1
I have the Girodisc rotors and I’m very happy with them. Reducing unsprung weight is always better than taking weight off elsewhere. Working on taking off even more with forged wheels and another brake upgrade soon.
Attached Images

Sephx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 05:14 AM   #4
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Quote:

They are good to go... the 911 track guys *love* them.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 03:23 AM   #5
airtroop01

Drives: 2018 Cadillac CTS-V
I went with the dba rotor rings, set of Ferodo pads for the street and hawk dtc70/60 pads for the track. Should arrive any day now. Girodisc was tempting as the quality is really good.
airtroop01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 06:04 AM   #6
khcoaching

Drives: 2021 1SS 1LE
I've had Girodiscs on both my 1LEs and IMO, they are a significant upgrade. Lighter (can't really tell) better feel, even pad wear and more braking power. I've used both 3.12s and Cobalts and they have about the same performance, but I prefer the 3.12s. That said, the Cobalts are near half the price.

Ken
Old 03-02-2024, 01:01 PM   #7
Vettethret

Quote:
Originally Posted by khcoaching View Post
I've had Girodiscs on both my 1LEs and IMO, they are a significant upgrade. Lighter (can't really tell) better feel, even pad wear and more braking power. I've used both 3.12s and Cobalts and they have about the same performance, but I prefer the 3.12s. That said, the Cobalts are near half the price.

Ken
Thanks for the feedback guys, I will pull the trigger on this set up. I couldn't find a new 1LE so I had to buy one in Tampa with 5k miles on it. The previous owner slightly modded the car, and I don't trust what was done (Carfax showed a check engine light on when it got to the Tampa Dealer). Might Mouse Catch can which is good, but a K&N intake and the stock Goodyears were already off the car after 5k. The owners manual was opened to the alignment section, and after putting the R888r's on it, had to be realigned as it was WAY off.

Im not sure if there is a certain way you need to bed these when driving off the dealer lot, but the brakes feel TERRIBLE on this car. The brakes are very spongy, have a long pedal and very little initial bite. I will call KNS and go over an aggressive street pad selection with them.

2023 ZL1 1LE 19" BC Forged RS45- 325/345 Toyo R888R, KPMF Satin Pearl Wrap, GT Huas Exhaust. Incoming- Girodisc- Heads/Cam
Old 03-02-2024, 02:34 PM   #8
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback guys, I will pull the trigger on this set up. I couldn't find a new 1LE so I had to buy one in Tampa with 5k miles on it. The previous owner slightly modded the car, and I don't trust what was done (Carfax showed a check engine light on when it got to the Tampa Dealer). Might Mouse Catch can which is good, but a K&N intake and the stock Goodyears were already off the car after 5k. The owners manual was opened to the alignment section, and after putting the R888r's on it, had to be realigned as it was WAY off.

Im not sure if there is a certain way you need to bed these when driving off the dealer lot, but the brakes feel TERRIBLE on this car. The brakes are very spongy, have a long pedal and very little initial bite. I will call KNS and go over an aggressive street pad selection with them.
I ordered my '22 SS 1LE and upon delivery I was not impressed by the brake feel. I had driven many Gen6s prior and they had great feel. Since my car had the new copper free brake setup I just discounted the feel to that. But, upon me flushing out the OE fluid for some Endless 650 in preparation for track days, I found air in the RF caliper. From the factory! After that initial flush the pedal improved greatly. In addition to the Endless, a set of Speigler lines and varying use of Ferodo pads HP1000, DS2500 and DS1.11 pads, the brake pedal and response is fantastic. I ran the fun roads in the Smoky Mtns of TN and NC last summer with Ferodo DS1.11s and every application of the brakes was pure joy.
Old 03-02-2024, 02:45 PM   #9
LancevanceZLE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
40 pound drop on a 4000 pound car is literally 1% difference…. Driving your car with a quarter tank of fuel instead of full is a bigger weight difference. I’m not knocking it…god knows I’ve obsessed over even lessor weight savings lol… but not going to be an earth changing thing.
I saved 28lbs of unsprung weight with lighter wheels and I definitely noticed improved steering.
LancevanceZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 07:01 PM   #10
NG329

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Apologies if I'm missing something, but OEM ZLE brakes are definitely not spongy. You probably have air in the lines. Swap to a good racing fluid that's streetable, like Castrol SRF. Add fresh pads and properly fill the fluid level in the reservoir. My $0.02. I use the stock brakes on the track and they are more than adequate even at the fastest end of the A-group. Otherwise, depending on what you drove last, it may just be more about wrapping your head around the pedal feel.
NG329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 07:43 PM   #11
airtroop01

Drives: 2018 Cadillac CTS-V
This might help some… folks over at KNS are pretty knowledgeable and helped me sort out the options and what would work best for me.

https://youtu.be/ZQLabUib5t4?si=IoZUigZZYjYxDFg_
airtroop01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 08:36 PM   #12
Vettethret

Quote:
Originally Posted by airtroop01 View Post
This might help some… folks over at KNS are pretty knowledgeable and helped me sort out the options and what would work best for me.

https://youtu.be/ZQLabUib5t4?si=IoZUigZZYjYxDFg_
Great video, ordering on Monday