#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 08-29-2020, 11:12 PM   #29
CaliforniaKid

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post
At which point you don't happen to mention the track so it won't matter.
It’s not hard to tell if a car has been tracked. Rubber goes everywhere under the car/wheel wells, color of brake calipers will fade after a few track days/rotors usually look a little more used vs the average daily driver zl. you for sure need a second set of wheels/tires to pull that off cus of the way they look after a track day. Oil is a good cheap insurance policy, play by the rules and change it often you will most likely never have a problem.
CaliforniaKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 01:56 AM   #30
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post
At which point you don't happen to mention the track so it won't matter.
I wish it was that easy :-) They will download data and know, unless you can convince them you were driving 120-150 repeatedly for long stretches hitting 270 deg oil temps on the street.

And if this data isnt stored, like someone else said you’d have to clean every nook and cranny, telltale track rubber bits get everywhere.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 12:49 PM   #31
Evansa22

Drives: HBM ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyardspecial View Post
I run 15w-50 full time in mine, sparse street driving and mostly track. I am catless and live in South Florida, no issues at all.
Awesome, this was exactly what I was looking to find out. Thank you, can't beat half the price of the 0w-40 esp and get great protection. I like to change my oil often so sounds like a winner
Evansa22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 02:39 PM   #32
Junkyardspecial

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post
Are you running a CC?

Great vid at Sebring. That GT350s rubber (M Cup2s?) was getting a little greasy a few laps in. Looked like your 3Rs were working well. Nice driving.
Thanks Waterman and Mlee!

To the subject at hand, no CC.. yet. I rarely putter the car around though, and from my light research read if the car is being used on track for most of its life a catch can is probably not needed. I plan on getting one when I stop being lazy though.

Also that Gt350 was on Supercar3Rs as well! He saw the light and only runs those as of late. Mine were good minus a pretty bald set of rears and absolutely no rear brake pad left.

Will buy your GoodYear Supercar 3R Take offs!
Junkyardspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 11:20 AM   #33
Krowser

Drives: ZL1 Mosaic Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowtie1 View Post
Or ow40esp Mobil one
You can't get this from off the shelf at Walmart right?
Krowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 04:13 PM   #34
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
Motul has an "ester core" 15w50 racing motor oil which may prove to be more appropriate for road course use. It is more expensive and less readily available but it is supposedly an excellent choice. Mobil 1 15w50 isn't Dexos 2 approved and neither is this Motul.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 04:55 PM   #35
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Dexos label is irrelevant, esp for track use - how many people know what a low speed stochastic pre-ignition (LSPI) test is? https://www.fuelsandlubes.com/fli-ar...s-complicated/ it's just a reason to charge a big mark-up for zero increase in oil performance

Almost all modern synthetics are very good and most comply with more stringent European standards, imo Castrol Edge is the best value
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 05:26 PM   #36
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyardspecial View Post
Thanks Waterman and Mlee!

To the subject at hand, no CC.. yet. I rarely putter the car around though, and from my light research read if the car is being used on track for most of its life a catch can is probably not needed. I plan on getting one when I stop being lazy though.

Also that Gt350 was on Supercar3Rs as well! He saw the light and only runs those as of late. Mine were good minus a pretty bald set of rears and absolutely no rear brake pad left.
"No rear brake pad" :-) How did that happen, forget to check them? My rear pads last maybe 3x longer than fronts.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:35 PM   #37
Crim

Drives: 13 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKid View Post
It’s not hard to tell if a car has been tracked. Rubber goes everywhere under the car/wheel wells, color of brake calipers will fade after a few track days/rotors usually look a little more used vs the average daily driver zl. you for sure need a second set of wheels/tires to pull that off cus of the way they look after a track day. Oil is a good cheap insurance policy, play by the rules and change it often you will most likely never have a problem.
That all means nothing since you're supposed to change back to 0W40 anyway so as long as you have one of those 2 weights in the car you're fine. Rubber or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
I wish it was that easy :-) They will download data and know, unless you can convince them you were driving 120-150 repeatedly for long stretches hitting 270 deg oil temps on the street.

And if this data isnt stored, like someone else said you’d have to clean every nook and cranny, telltale track rubber bits get everywhere.
That data isn't stored unless you're hooked up and data logging. You're supposed to change the oil back and forth so no one can or will dispute that.
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:48 PM   #38
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
I have a TON of rubber in my fender wells etc and I also play by the rules.

0W40 is in the car now because my next track day isn't until Oct. If my oil pump goes out tomorrow the dealer will get a car full of rubber with the correct street oil in it. We're really just spitting hairs here.

My worry would be the Cold Air Intake on my otherwise bone stock engine not one of the two approved oils. They could void my warranty for that... not the oil I have.
Old 08-31-2020, 09:22 PM   #39
Junkyardspecial

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
"No rear brake pad" :-) How did that happen, forget to check them? My rear pads last maybe 3x longer than fronts.
You got it right, I was down to the backing plate. Just slipped my mind really.

Also for the topic, 15w-50 isnt dexos approved, yes, but it is in the owners manual for what to use on track.

Will buy your GoodYear Supercar 3R Take offs!
Junkyardspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 09:50 PM   #40
CaliforniaKid

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
I have a TON of rubber in my fender wells etc and I also play by the rules.

0W40 is in the car now because my next track day isn't until Oct. If my oil pump goes out tomorrow the dealer will get a car full of rubber with the correct street oil in it. We're really just spitting hairs here.

My worry would be the Cold Air Intake on my otherwise bone stock engine not one of the two approved oils. They could void my warranty for that... not the oil I have.
Good thing is the intake is easy to remove. That said i just took my car in for a headliner replacement which is on B/O with no eta I had just finished a track day prior to bringing it in so I inquired about an oil change while it was there. Apparently I had 2 free ones but they used 5W30 if I’m not mistaken when the 15w50 was taken out... pretty sure the oil cap says that also? Maybe I’m mistaken, I hear what you mean about splitting hairs but if you have a catastrophic failure some dealers are going to do some homework. I’ve seen dealers go far lengths to try and prove things. when you register for a track day most of your info is not private, 3rd parties can look up occupants sometimes even see photos if there was a 3rd party vendor out there snapping pictures and posting them for sale with water marks etc.
CaliforniaKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 08:20 AM   #41
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Good thing is the intake is easy to remove. That said i just took my car in for a headliner replacement which is on B/O with no eta I had just finished a track day prior to bringing it in so I inquired about an oil change while it was there. Apparently I had 2 free ones but they used 5W30 if I’m not mistaken when the 15w50 was taken out... pretty sure the oil cap says that also? Maybe I’m mistaken, I hear what you mean about splitting hairs but if you have a catastrophic failure some dealers are going to do some homework. I’ve seen dealers go far lengths to try and prove things. when you register for a track day most of your info is not private, 3rd parties can look up occupants sometimes even see photos if there was a 3rd party vendor out there snapping pictures and posting them for sale with water marks etc.
Yeah, I'm not trying to get over on anyone. I for one know the deal on warranty and glad to see others are finally seeing it for what it is. Bone stock means no mods at all whether they caused the issue or not. I had that conversation with Al O over catch cans and there is no gray area on that one.

As for looking up track days over 15W50 for one individual "small" variant of Camaro is a stretch IMO and my track days are mostly private only listed in my e-mail. Most dealers don't even know that track oil is required for ZLE and would be checking for 0W40 anyway. Their best bet would be to follow me here on the forum but in my 12 years here I haven't seen that happen
Old 09-01-2020, 09:34 AM   #42
Snakebt6

Drives: Rally Green 2020 ZL1 1LE A10
My dealer does all my maintenance and is aware I track the car. I had my A10 go bad with a bad solenoid at the track and they repaired it under warranty for me no issues.

They do my tire changes brake fluid bleeds and alignments, differential and trans fluid changes etc..

Its a bit more expensive but eliminates any doubt about who did what to the car

Even the air box is stock. In my opinion deviating gives them reason to say something wont be covered under warranty. Right wrong or indifferent its my logic. Ive had an 18 ZL1 and a 20 1LE from the same dealer both used regularly on track and the dealer has never pushed back on an issue I believe in part because of the above.

I leave 15 50 in my car in between track days as I dont use it on the street. Maybe an occasional Friday Ill drive it work. I drive it to track days as well.
Snakebt6 is offline   Reply With Quote