Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-04-2020, 09:27 PM   #29
_Onyx_Wolf_
Onyx_Z7 <— Instagram

Drives: 2013 2ss 1le
Bad news lol tuner said just by the sound and feel of the car it looks to be bad cam bearings. Won’t know fully until next week when he does the tear down.
_Onyx_Wolf_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 11:11 PM   #30
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Onyx_Wolf_ View Post
Bad news lol tuner said just by the sound and feel of the car it looks to be bad cam bearings. Won’t know fully until next week when he does the tear down.
When you did the cam install you looked at the cam bearings, didn't you....?
The saying goes, never look at your cam bearings. If you do, they will be bad.

I am joking btw. I'm really sorry to hear that man. Crap news.

Well, depending on how you are doing with financially, now would be the time to really rebuild this beast. I had my LS3 rebuilt with all new rings, all bearings, springs, lifters, valve seals, gaskets, cylinders honed, cleaned, assembled, heads milled, Melling HV pump (bought separately)...etc for $1700. I reused my pistons/rods, cam, and crank. I think I did ok on that one. I was expecting over $2k. So that is a cheaper option. Of course only 1500 miles later I am doing a cam and spring change, but that is because I am an idiot.

I guess you won't know the next steps until you get it disassembled and inspected. Let us know your plans man. I wish you the best of luck, you deserve it after all this.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:51 AM   #31
_Onyx_Wolf_
Onyx_Z7 <— Instagram

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
When you did the cam install you looked at the cam bearings, didn't you....?
The saying goes, never look at your cam bearings. If you do, they will be bad.

I am joking btw. I'm really sorry to hear that man. Crap news.

Well, depending on how you are doing with financially, now would be the time to really rebuild this beast. I had my LS3 rebuilt with all new rings, all bearings, springs, lifters, valve seals, gaskets, cylinders honed, cleaned, assembled, heads milled, Melling HV pump (bought separately)...etc for $1700. I reused my pistons/rods, cam, and crank. I think I did ok on that one. I was expecting over $2k. So that is a cheaper option. Of course only 1500 miles later I am doing a cam and spring change, but that is because I am an idiot.

I guess you won't know the next steps until you get it disassembled and inspected. Let us know your plans man. I wish you the best of luck, you deserve it after all this.
Thanks man haha and I don’t remember if I even had him replace my cam bearings I was a newbie kinda back then lolol but yeah if all is good I still might try and stroke my motor with forged parts since I’m already in there. Currently looking at buying a house rn so timing is terrible lol but hopefully i will have this thing back up before summer. My tuner I think quoted me 2k for a rebuild including stock parts and also said something about our cam bearings being a 3 piece design? He said a one piece cam bearing is better bc less parts to fail.
Old 03-05-2020, 10:33 AM   #32
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
Nobody replaces cam bearings on a cam install. That's something done when you are rebuilding, unless you see some grooving in the journals of the cam when it comes out you are pretty safe to assume your bearings are good. Not if when you pull the cam or install it like a gorilla and smack the cam lobes against your bearings hard.. well that's a different issue lol.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 11:51 AM   #33
STALKER

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sucks man. Sorry to hear it. Where is the car at? RPM? I see you are in DE.
LSX Block, MAST 305 Black Labels, Exceldyne Valves, Diamond Pistons, Callies Crank & Rods, Cam Motion Cam, Johnson 2116LSR Lifters, Comp XDA Pushrods, Jesel Rockers, Mamo MSD, NW 102, Roto-Fab CAI, FAST 65# Injectors, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Kooks 2" Headers, Corsa Sport 3" Catback, Z28 Shifter, ZR1 Clutch, Katech LW Flywheel, 1LE 3.91 Diff, LPW Diff Cover, BMR - 1.4" Springs, LCA's, Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Sway Bars, End Links, Diff Bushings, and Tunnel Brace, Z28/1LE Strut Tower Brace, Improved Racing Oil Cooler

2023 Camaro ZL1 / 1LE
Stock
STALKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 06:35 PM   #34
_Onyx_Wolf_
Onyx_Z7 <— Instagram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhornet2 View Post
Nobody replaces cam bearings on a cam install. That's something done when you are rebuilding, unless you see some grooving in the journals of the cam when it comes out you are pretty safe to assume your bearings are good. Not if when you pull the cam or install it like a gorilla and smack the cam lobes against your bearings hard.. well that's a different issue lol.
That’s what I thought lolol what do you recommend for aftermarket bearings?
Old 03-05-2020, 06:39 PM   #35
_Onyx_Wolf_
Onyx_Z7 <— Instagram

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
Sucks man. Sorry to hear it. Where is the car at? RPM? I see you are in DE.
I don’t have big money so sadly no lol but I trust my tuner Scott Reynolds way down in delmar, he works with me on certain things and is one of those old school tuner guys haha good dude.
Old 03-06-2020, 05:19 AM   #36
STALKER

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
I don’t have big money so sadly no lol but I trust my tuner Scott Reynolds way down in delmar, he works with me on certain things and is one of those old school tuner guys haha good dude.
Nothing wrong with the man. Good luck!
LSX Block, MAST 305 Black Labels, Exceldyne Valves, Diamond Pistons, Callies Crank & Rods, Cam Motion Cam, Johnson 2116LSR Lifters, Comp XDA Pushrods, Jesel Rockers, Mamo MSD, NW 102, Roto-Fab CAI, FAST 65# Injectors, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Kooks 2" Headers, Corsa Sport 3" Catback, Z28 Shifter, ZR1 Clutch, Katech LW Flywheel, 1LE 3.91 Diff, LPW Diff Cover, BMR - 1.4" Springs, LCA's, Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Sway Bars, End Links, Diff Bushings, and Tunnel Brace, Z28/1LE Strut Tower Brace, Improved Racing Oil Cooler

2023 Camaro ZL1 / 1LE
Stock
STALKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 07:35 AM   #37
Greenhornet2

Quote:
That’s what I thought lolol what do you recommend for aftermarket bearings?
I don't have a recommendation for these cars I haven't rebuilt the engine yet. Do a search and see what you come up with.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Old 03-06-2020, 11:17 AM   #38
LsxDoctor
15 Year LS1Tech Member

Drives: 2010 ss 391ci LS3
Really doubt its a cam bearing. Did you pull the valve covers?

GJDM
LsxDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 05:12 PM   #39
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Yes I would doubt the cam bearings also unless a Douche changed the cam and bunged every one of them.... And yes with a tool they can be changed with the engine in the car but a real PITA.... That low of oil pressure could be so many varied things, start with the top end then look to the pump..... heck could even be interference from plastic shards of the stupid LS 3 chain dampener clogging things... theres just too many things it could be. Good Luck
Old 03-07-2020, 08:30 PM   #40
_Onyx_Wolf_
Onyx_Z7 <— Instagram

I will know more next week but yeah If my motor is fine that’s great lol and I switched the ls3 with the ls2 dog bone tensioner when I had the cam installed.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:01 PM   #41
_Onyx_Wolf_
Onyx_Z7 <— Instagram

Update on the situation, tuner says that a lifter failed and chewed up my cam and oil pump, but everything else seems to be fine and I would only need new lifters and cam. Quoted me at 2800 parts and labor. Does this seem reasonable and would I need the engine cleaned out?? also he doesn’t like Johnson lifters and recommend CTSV ones. I will more than likely be putting prc260 heads on with a custom cam from Texas speed as well
Old 03-30-2020, 01:44 PM   #42
Greenhornet2

If it chewed up the cam there was metal sent through the oil. The main, rod, and cam bearings should be inspected as well as crank journals. The price is not unreasonable but doesn't sound like he's going to check the crank bearings at that price. You can do it in car by cutting the cross member i believe, they sell a bolt in to put it back after. I think people use ls7 lifters as an upgrade but i'm not 100% sure on that.