Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

AWE Tuning

Old 08-01-2017, 11:36 AM   #1
03silvers

Drives: 2017 1SS 1le
What size Spacers for zl1 addons rock guards

Installed the guards. Fronts are fine. On the rears I used the short spacers for top 2 holes and longer one in bottom like instructed. But when I tighten the screws down it sucks the top of the guard around the fender and angles it into the wheel well. To get the guards top to stay flush with fender I would need a spacer quite a bit longer. I can make something work but did anyone else run into this issue?
03silvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:45 AM   #2
HyperBlueX2

Drives: '22 Silverado 2500HD Duramax LTZ
IIRC I put the thicker spacer on the top to make mine work correctly.....
Old 08-01-2017, 02:21 PM   #3
Sheriff37
Do it for Dale

Drives: '16 NFGray V6 M6
I had to cut a few of the largest spacers to the length of the middle-sized spacers (sorry I cannot remember the size of all of the spacers, it's been awhile since I've done it). My issues was that pretty much every hole on the rear guards required the middle size, with the exception of the top hole. From what I was told it seems that every car has a slight difference in requirements for the rear, that's why they supplied multiple large spacers (at least in my kit).
Sheriff37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 02:42 PM   #4
locktyght

Drives: Summit White 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperBlueX2 View Post
IIRC I put the thicker spacer on the top to make mine work correctly.....
Same here, I think the instructions tell you to do it the other way, but it fit mine the best using the longer spacer at the top.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:33 PM   #5
03silvers

Thanks guys. Gonna swap long bottom spacer to the top and see if it helps. If not I'm gonna have to source an acceptable spacer material and make my own.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:04 PM   #6
Bigdave18629

Drives: 2016 White 2SS Vert A8 Maggie S/C
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03silvers View Post
Installed the guards. Fronts are fine. On the rears I used the short spacers for top 2 holes and longer one in bottom like instructed. But when I tighten the screws down it sucks the top of the guard around the fender and angles it into the wheel well. To get the guards top to stay flush with fender I would need a spacer quite a bit longer. I can make something work but did anyone else run into this issue?
thinking of ordering some, what are your thoughts on looks, fit, etc...
Bigdave18629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:22 PM   #7
03silvers

Swapped bigger spacer to top and shorter to bottom. Much better. Left me with this. I'll still probably make a custom longer top spacer but for now it's good.
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2017, 06:24 PM   #8
03silvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdave18629 View Post
thinking of ordering some, what are your thoughts on looks, fit, etc...

For the price it's great. The spacers and screws for install are a bit of an afterthought. But the guards themselves are what looks right. I'm not a fan of big bulky moulded pieces. So thin flat flexible guards are perfect for me.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:37 PM   #9
Bigdave18629

Quote:
For the price it's great. The spacers and screws for install are a bit of an afterthought. But the guards themselves are what looks right. I'm not a fan of big bulky moulded pieces. So thin flat flexible guards are perfect for me.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:04 PM   #10
JKLNHYD
Defending the Nation...

Drives: '16 Summit White 2SS, A8, Sunroof
As I'm reading these comments I'm curious if using a heat gun to soften them up before screwing them down tight will help mold them to a better fit?

Or maybe a thin (1/8") strip of foam weather stripping to keep the plastic off the paint?

It just seems weird to have to space them off of the wheel well to get them to look good...

'16 2SS, A8, Sunroof, non-NPP
"SURSUM AB ORDINE"
JKLNHYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 03:33 PM   #11
Sheriff37
Do it for Dale

Drives: '16 NFGray V6 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKLNHYD View Post
As I'm reading these comments I'm curious if using a heat gun to soften them up before screwing them down tight will help mold them to a better fit?
I didn't think about heating them up first, if you decide to do that please tell us how it goes. I have a good fit but that might be another good way to do it.

For any that are wondering about quality, I have no problems with this product. I have a dirt driveway and if you look at the inside of mine (instead of down the side of my car!) there are all kinds of rock marks and dips from them coming off of the wheels. However all of the noticeable dirt/rock marks disappear easily with a wet cloth. They do their job well and are very inconspicuous while doing it.
Sheriff37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:18 PM   #12
Bigdave18629

Quote:
Mine are on the way, might try that heat gun idea. Appreciate the info guys.