Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Phastek Performance

Old 07-30-2019, 09:18 AM   #1
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Some new Bose tech in the C8 Corvette

https://www.topspeed.com/lifestyle/n...-ar186113.html
This all sounds very interesting. Hopefully it sounds good.
Keeping those doors from rattling can't be easy. Also, the AudioPilot technology sounds like more headaches for aftermarket upgraders.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:46 AM   #2
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Interested to see how this sounds. My Bose in my SS is actually suprising, not out of this world awesome, but probably one of the better if not best Bose system from the factory I have heard. I am in no way a huge fan of Bose, the only product from them that I really like is their Wave Radio, have had one for 15 years now in my house/family room, I like it a lot...this new Performance System in the C8 might be real good, we shall see soon what people think of it, have to hear it for myself though.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 01:40 PM   #3
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
Interested to see how this sounds. My Bose in my SS is actually suprising, not out of this world awesome, but probably one of the better if not best Bose system from the factory I have heard. I am in no way a huge fan of Bose, the only product from them that I really like is their Wave Radio, have had one for 15 years now in my house/family room, I like it a lot...this new Performance System in the C8 might be real good, we shall see soon what people think of it, have to hear it for myself though.

You should hear the Bose in the Infinity G/Q vehicles and in most of the Cadillacs...

The audio pilot should not be that difficult to get around regarding aftermarket systems. It’s present in my Cadillac CTS-V also. In a properly tuned system, you just turn all OEM systems to flat/0 and tune from there. The biggest hurdle will be what type of audio coding technology the C8 will use (Ethernet AB be MOST50) and how long it will take either PAC or NavTV to create an interface
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:42 AM   #4
ctrlz

The C8 will have the newer Bose "Twiddler" drivers, which I can't find much info on. Also, the AudioPilot will use ANC to allow the driver to "tune out" the engine sounds in some modes to improve audio in the cabin. That sounds useful with the engine inches from your head!
We have a member here who works for Bose. Apparently they can put a phenomenal system in any car if they are not constrained by budget (and they always are). Also, any noise cancellation really only works with the stock drivers. Even though microphones are used, there is also a predictive aspect to the cancellation algorithms, and it all has to be tuned to cabin acoustics and the specific response of the speakers.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:00 AM   #5
SSport16

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfeelgood View Post
You should hear the Bose in the Infinity G/Q vehicles and in most of the Cadillacs...

The audio pilot should not be that difficult to get around regarding aftermarket systems. It’s present in my Cadillac CTS-V also. In a properly tuned system, you just turn all OEM systems to flat/0 and tune from there. The biggest hurdle will be what type of audio coding technology the C8 will use (Ethernet AB be MOST50) and how long it will take either PAC or NavTV to create an interface
I had Bose in a few of my previous Cadillacs, I like the one in my SS the best. Haven't heard the Panaray in the CT6, head that is real good.

Old 07-31-2019, 03:40 PM   #6
gblaue

Drives: 2017 Bright Yellow ZL1 6spd
Quote:
You won’t be disappointed. It kicks ass.
Old 07-31-2019, 04:23 PM   #7
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Quote:
I had Bose in a few of my previous Cadillacs, I like the one in my SS the best. Haven't heard the Panaray in the CT6, head that is real good.
The Panaray is amazing.

Personally, I think the upgraded Bose in the C7 sounds great. Much better than anything else from GM, other than Panaray.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 07:06 PM   #8
Marco Falcone

Drives: 2018 2SS Convertible MBM/Kal
I like the Bose in my SS convertible. With the top down, I can hear plenty of exhaust rumble and still enjoy my music at decent volume. Tighter, louder bass would be nice, but for me not worth the cost and hassle of updgrading.

My ‘93 Vette (bought in ‘95) and my ‘98 Cadillac STS (bought in 2000) both had the full top-line Bose stereos. I thought the Vette had the best factory sound I ever had owned, until I had my STS. That Bose set up sounded better than any other stereo I’ve ever had. (Granted it was inside a 4-door sedan...)

Best Bose I ever heard was in my buddy’s Mazda RX7 R2. (Had the exposed wave-guide speakers in the rear.) I remember he played a song that started with a thunder clap and the sound of a burst of heavy rain. My skin actually jumped in expectation of the cold water hitting it.
2018 2SS Vert. MBM/Kalahari. MRR FS01’s with 285/305 MPS4S. Black Bow ties, A8, MRC, NPP, 6-piston Brembo’s w/ matching rears, OEM Ground Effects/Splash Guards, 8”/Nav. Borla S-type, Pray IM/TB, RotoFab.

Past DD’s of note:
2013 Caprice PPV. (“Company” car.)
1998 Cadillac STS
1996 Impala SS
1969 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1993 Corvette
1991 Mustang 5.0 LX
1973 Alfa Romeo Spider
1986 Mustang GT T-top
1964 Falcon Sprint Hardtop. (First car, still have the key!)
Marco Falcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 09:26 PM   #9
SSport16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblaue View Post
Good to hear...seriously thinking about the C8 next year!

Old 08-01-2019, 09:27 PM   #10
SSport16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
The Panaray is amazing.

Personally, I think the upgraded Bose in the C7 sounds great. Much better than anything else from GM, other than Panaray.
Yeah I have heard that too. The C7 system is close to the Camaro system, probably a bit better due to the smaller cabin, better acoustics.

Old 08-01-2019, 11:28 PM   #11
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
I prefer the increasingly obsolete option of a entertainment system that allows the user the freedom to replace the parts with those of their own choosing so they can scale from cheap to insanely expensive without sacrificing unrelated features.

the C8 takes everything horrible about MOST and kicks it up a notch with always on connectivity and even more proprietary and incompatible networking and data encapsulation.

meh. to me it doesn't matter how good the bose system is. the whole thing is a step in the wrong direction. Though, not limited to the C8 obviously.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:52 AM   #12
ctrlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblaue View Post
Any surround processing modes on this or just the AudioPilot? Any driver's soundstage mode, which I think mainly adds some delay to the left channel to center things around the driver's head?
Old 08-02-2019, 11:26 AM   #13
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
Agree with what most folk sare saying, especially regarding Bose and being able to make something sound great if they aren't limited by budget. The Bose in my CTS-V and in my wife's old SRX were much better than the Bose in the Camaro.

Bose in 6th Gen Camaro sounds decent at low to mid volumes, after that distortion and bass off make for a muddled experience.

@GBlaue, hopefully it won't take 2 years to come out with a processor for us aftermarket folks.

As for OEM systems, Bose in any vehicle falls short of the Bang & Olufsen in the Audi A8, or the Mark Levinson in the Lexus. Those were the only OEM systems I can truly say I would not change out for an aftermarket system.

Also, WTF is a twiddler? The idea of a 3.25 inch driver playing bass frequencies sounds off to me, but I am still intrigued
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 01:42 PM   #14
ctrlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfeelgood View Post
Also, WTF is a twiddler? The idea of a 3.25 inch driver playing bass frequencies sounds off to me, but I am still intrigued
Tweeter + midrange = "twiddler," from what I can find. Basically a high excursion small driver in the sub 3" range. Can handle high power and play both mids and highs.