Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-05-2020, 08:13 AM   #7687
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
AWD Hybrid GS - sacrilege...
So was a convertible Z06, but it sold. Other people's kids...
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:09 AM   #7688
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
I thought I remembered a Motortrend article not too long ago claiming there would be no GS this generation according to their sources? Well I guess Motortrend has been plenty wrong about the c8 because if I remember correctly the article claiming no GS was a correction to an article they ran the day before incorrectly claiming the z06 would be a 5.5 TT. Not to mention the whole c8 dyno debacle.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:16 AM   #7689
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRacerLE View Post
So was a convertible Z06, but it sold. Other people's kids...
Also agreed - but the Z06 was more a mainstream RPO/Name than GS ever was...

Grand Sport deserves much, much more than this.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 02:10 PM   #7690
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
My gripe about the Z06 is this. What incentive is there for me to spend the $120+K that it most assuredly will cost when it is gonna get spanked by other cars in this league that are using forced induction? That engine is going to be wound soo tight that there will basically be nothing that anyone can do to squeeze more power out of it. Meanwhile the C7 Z06 can be will over 800 RWHP for a pretty decent price. Same with other cars like the GTR. So why is GM insistent on going NA when it clearly is not going to be able to keep up? I'm just not seeing the allure of this vehicle. At least the Base and Z51 can have forced induction added in. I doubt the Z06 will be FI friendly. So it basically will be at a disadvantage compared to other cars costing similar money.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 02:22 PM   #7691
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
My gripe about the Z06 is this. What incentive is there for me to spend the $120+K that it most assuredly will cost when it is gonna get spanked by other cars in this league that are using forced induction? That engine is going to be wound soo tight that there will basically be nothing that anyone can do to squeeze more power out of it. Meanwhile the C7 Z06 can be will over 800 RWHP for a pretty decent price. Same with other cars like the GTR. So why is GM insistent on going NA when it clearly is not going to be able to keep up? I'm just not seeing the allure of this vehicle. At least the Base and Z51 can have forced induction added in. I doubt the Z06 will be FI friendly. So it basically will be at a disadvantage compared to other cars costing similar money.
So buy a ZR1?
Old 10-05-2020, 02:59 PM   #7692
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
So buy a ZR1?
Exactly...

No different than buying a GT350 including the R. If you want straight line speed and forced induction, buy a ZR1 or GT and mod it.

Same applied to the 5th gen Z/28 and ZL1.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 04:10 PM   #7693
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
2019 Z06 base price was like $80k. Surely you can get in to a 2021 for much cheaper than $120K.

I get your point at that price point though, and agree. So far GM has knocked pricing out of the park on the C8, I'm excited to see the MSRP.
Old 10-05-2020, 04:39 PM   #7694
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
Z06 being TT FPC makes more sense to me. I'll buy either way because I plan to track it more than street drive it, but I don't think it will sell to the usual crowd unless it's TT.
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:52 PM   #7695
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Why buy a Z06 and expect it to do things the Z06 was never meant to do? Do you get mad your Camaro can't tow a 5th wheel toy hauler?
Old 10-05-2020, 10:53 PM   #7696
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
So buy a ZR1?
Maybe I will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
Exactly...

No different than buying a GT350 including the R. If you want straight line speed and forced induction, buy a ZR1 or GT and mod it.

Same applied to the 5th gen Z/28 and ZL1.
Did I say anything about straight line speed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
2019 Z06 base price was like $80k. Surely you can get in to a 2021 for much cheaper than $120K.

I get your point at that price point though, and agree. So far GM has knocked pricing out of the park on the C8, I'm excited to see the MSRP.
When I mentioned the price I was including all the goodies. I don't typically buy a Base model. The C8 is the first Base model that I actually considered simply because you could add in a bunch of options as you go up in trim (1LT/2LT/3LT). By the time you do that with the Z06 you're gonna be over $120K if it is a C8.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRacerLE View Post
Z06 being TT FPC makes more sense to me. I'll buy either way because I plan to track it more than street drive it, but I don't think it will sell to the usual crowd unless it's TT.
That is my point. Sure the Brand Loyalists will buy it. But someone who is looking at features and potential will compare it to other cars that use FI. And I do not think it will keep up, or be a true value, against those competitors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Why buy a Z06 and expect it to do things the Z06 was never meant to do? Do you get mad your Camaro can't tow a 5th wheel toy hauler?
Chill out with the condescending bro. First off, I didn't mention one thing about what it can or can't do. You made an assumption when you don't even know WTF I expect it to do. Nobody is even talking about toying a damn hauler. And you don't even know what I was talking about anyway. Re-read my comment and then reply with some logic. Or since you probably won't, I'll break it down for you.

Pushing a 5.5 DOHC engine that far is going to be very problematic even for GM. That engine is going to be wound soo tight that basically what you get from the factory is about all you're gonna get out of it. Ford did that with the GT350 and it was a bust to anyone but the Brand Loyalists. Not one person here cross shopped that wreck. Well one person did. Literally, one person. A high revving engine of that sort is going to have lots of issues especially since we're already towards the limits of what NA can do. So why not go with FI to make that same, or more, power except in a more efficient, reliable, and safe manner? It would make a hell of a lot more sense. That way you have plenty of room to develop even further with the ZR1. The C7 was already supercharged. So why not stick to that? Look at the GTR. That is a lightweight-ish 4 seater car with forced induction, a rock solid engine, tons of potential, AWD, and hits at about $110K. Between the two, what is going to sway me towards a C8 Z06 with similar options and price tag? I can get a Z06 and be stuck with whatever it comes with from the factory since GM will have to throw everything at it to hit those HP/TQ numbers...it'll be a very fast car tho. It'll probably be faster than the 6th Gen ZL1 and C7 Z06 at everything but top speed. Or I can get a GTR at the same price, have more room inside, have more tech and features, AWD, and that engine is nowhere near it's potential. A few mods and it'll destroy just about everything out there.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:43 PM   #7697
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Well, I'd agree with the thought the C7Z was a big mistake to offer with the LT4. Carrying over the C6Z's 7L LS motor would have been better imo.

Lots of people are going to be more than satisfied with a 600+ hp high-revving V8 that comes with a factory warranty for track use and can hit 60 in mid 2s range. I'd bet it'll be starting around $100k, and it'll be a steal at that price, competitive with a GT3 RS. ZR1, IDK... +$30k or so over the Z06 maybe...
Old 10-06-2020, 08:08 AM   #7698
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Here we go again with Mr. Whole. He doesn't understand that the Z06 is meant to be a track car because he has never seen a track. But when people tell him this he gets really mad and goes all Jerry Springer YOU DON'T KNOW ME! YOU DON'T KNOW NOTHIN! Even though he was literally just talking about power and straight line speed for the roll racing he doesn't even do...

Not saying the high revving FPC is the best way to go, but hopefully team Corvette has it well sorted.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 08:11 AM   #7699
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Doubt a base 600 + horse C8 Z06 will be even close to 100K.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 08:32 AM   #7700
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
This is where I hope someone smarter on the subject can chime in, but I would assume because the C8R is using it, that's why. They have to have a version of the engine in a production car. I know it doesn't have to be the same size but that is about the extent of my knowledge about it.

Quote:
Pushing a 5.5 DOHC engine that far is going to be very problematic even for GM. That engine is going to be wound soo tight that basically what you get from the factory is about all you're gonna get out of it
It will be very interesting to see how GM does it. Even though GM has some of the best people working in the business, FPCs aren't that large for a reason. It its going to be very interesting to see how they handle the inherent problems of the design.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote