Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-04-2020, 02:11 PM   #7575
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
I realize that a Redeye w/ 797 hp is a lot of hp. And a GT500 w/760 hp is a lot of hp. But there's something about that official 807 hp rating that's just, I don't know, a milestone. I think it's because this isn't a limited production run, they'll build however many are ordered. Unlike the Demon.

I do question why they put 315s on the front if it is a drag car. Why not go with a staggered setup w/ 245/50s or something narrow up front for a smaller footprint like pseudo skinnies, and thus, less rolling resistance?

807 factory hp w/ a warranty, not in a limited production run.
Agreed, zr1s 755 and gt500s 760 is obviously very impessive and the redeyes 797 is awesome and almost there, but a factory 800+! What a time to be alive, and not a limited production or million dollar hyper car.

I think the reason they gave for the demon having 315s squared was so that you can easily swap your fronts and rears and get more use out of your factory setnof tires, or something along those lines. However the demon you could option in the skinnies so that made sense. I'd personally prefer some 245s/255s in the front like you said with some 315s-335s in the rear.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 03:20 PM   #7576
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
Agreed, zr1s 755 and gt500s 760 is obviously very impessive and the redeyes 797 is awesome and almost there, but a factory 800+! What a time to be alive, and not a limited production or million dollar hyper car.

I think the reason they gave for the demon having 315s squared was so that you can easily swap your fronts and rears and get more use out of your factory setnof tires, or something along those lines. However the demon you could option in the skinnies so that made sense. I'd personally prefer some 245s/255s in the front like you said with some 315s-335s in the rear.
No doubt. It's gotta be the first 800+hp full production car, supercars included (not including those limited run hypercars). I can't think of any supercars with over 800 hp, but I know there are supercars with nearly 800 (i.e. Ferrari 812 Superfast @ 789 hp). But, over 800 hp, officially, unreal.

I thought the same thing about the tires for the super stock, but many cars come w/ staggered tires, so I don't see that as a necessity. My thoughts on the wheels/tires: From an aesthetics perspective I'd prefer 19" wheels over the 18s w/ different tire sizes: 255/45/19 up front with a taller rear tire, to help improve traction. i.e., 315/40/19. Taller tire increases the contact patch length front to back, leading to more traction when the width is the same. Increase the rear diff. to about 3.20:1 to adjust for the taller tires.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 05:50 PM   #7577
rocket403

Drives: 80 Cutlass 403, 2010 FF RT
Dodge has the best adds
https://youtu.be/oAVapr6WGXE
1998 Monte Carlo SS
1980 Cutlass Supreme 403
rocket403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 04:28 PM   #7578
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...mon-drag-race/

real world it is the high heel admin assistant in her C8... that is reality.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 05:26 PM   #7579
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket403 View Post
Dodge has the best adds
https://youtu.be/oAVapr6WGXE
Damn they do! Got chills for a bit watching that one. My favorite is the George Washington one from a few years ago.
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:46 PM   #7580
oldman

I liked these two:

and what guys really think:

forgot what I need to teach my sons (I did own two Challengers):
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:45 PM   #7581
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I usually try not to be the one to start rumors, in fact, more often than not I spend a lot of time dispelling rumors that I know to be false. I’m gonna break with tradition and toss this one out there. More power in ‘21.

I’m a little nervous putting this one out there because I only have one source, but the source didn’t realize they were being a source and just said something that I couldn’t ignore. The source was driving a ‘21 CTF vehicle. From what I gather, we’re talking a double digit increase and the first digit is not a one.

I had previously put in my forecast Camaro picking up the LT2 for ‘21 - ‘23 until I realized that the LT2 is configured differently to fit in the mid engine position. But when you think about it, Chevy didn’t gain 35 hp by just re-organizing the engine layout. Some of those power enhancers had to be made in the engine internals plus the headers. I’m doubting headers will make their way to Camaro, so I’m going to suggest maybe an LT3 with 480 hp.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:35 AM   #7582
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
I usually try not to be the one to start rumors, in fact, more often than not I spend a lot of time dispelling rumors that I know to be false. I’m gonna break with tradition and toss this one out there. More power in ‘21.

I’m a little nervous putting this one out there because I only have one source, but the source didn’t realize they were being a source and just said something that I couldn’t ignore. The source was driving a ‘21 CTF vehicle. From what I gather, we’re talking a double digit increase and the first digit is not a one.

I had previously put in my forecast Camaro picking up the LT2 for ‘21 - ‘23 until I realized that the LT2 is configured differently to fit in the mid engine position. But when you think about it, Chevy didn’t gain 35 hp by just re-organizing the engine layout. Some of those power enhancers had to be made in the engine internals plus the headers. I’m doubting headers will make their way to Camaro, so I’m going to suggest maybe an LT3 with 480 hp.
That last part makes perfect sense. From what I understand, the LT2 got more power because the layout let them put the cats closer to the manifold, and therefore can use a more aggressive camshaft profile on the exhaust lobe, while still maintaining emissions. That means to me, the LT2 is not a candidate for the Camaro.

BUT, I didn't think Chevy would build an LT3 just for Camaro. Would the LT3 lead to other truck applications (to spread development costs)?
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:45 AM   #7583
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
That last part makes perfect sense. From what I understand, the LT2 got more power because the layout let them put the cats closer to the manifold, and therefore can use a more aggressive camshaft profile on the exhaust lobe, while still maintaining emissions. That means to me, the LT2 is not a candidate for the Camaro.

BUT, I didn't think Chevy would build an LT3 just for Camaro. Would the LT3 lead to other truck applications (to spread development costs)?
No. Right now LT1 is only for Camaro. Same with LT4 (for now ). Making an “LT3” that’s closer in build content to an LT2 makes perfect sense. It just swaps one Camaro-only build spec for another Camaro-only build spec that happens to be closer to Corvette build spec. Trucks top out at L87 with Dynamic Fuel Management, but look for an LT4 coming to an SUV.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:56 AM   #7584
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:

That would be cool to see.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:21 AM   #7585
oldman

the Camaro has lots of room and can easily take a better LT2 style header (probably would need to go Tri-Y becuase of collector thickness, but maybe not). The LT2 cat is NOT close to the head BTW, and a LT2 style intake manifold could be fitted. Bigger TB, larger airbox.
https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2020...e-c8-corvette/
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t2-engine.html

Note I did say "style" as in design parameter, I am not saying LT2 parts fit on the LT1. I am saying there is a reasonable amount of room. Is it worth the engineering cost? Maybe. The LT2 header is worth 5 HP over the cast iron manifold that looks pretty bad in comparison. Most of the HP gain IMO is the exit at the head is nice and smooth and tapered. The second area is the collector looks to be very smooth on transition, the third is the length of the tubes. All of this can be accommodated on the LT1 in the 6th gen, I would say the collector would be the tightest, and Chevy would do a Tri-Y just because of this.
Looking at the pics, I'd say much of the LT2 performace comes form the two HUGE cats:
Attached Images

Last edited by oldman; 07-09-2020 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-09-2020, 11:12 AM   #7586
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:

Hmm. 480 hp in the Camaro SS? Nice!

Car and Driver had an article about a year ago detailing the changes to the LT2 from the LT1. In summary: superior, taller intake manifold design with equal length runners, superior exhaust manifold/headers, upgraded exhaust cam lift (same intake), and more efficient oil scavenging (less parasitic loss). The pistons, heads, etc., I believe are all the same, according to the article.

I think a much better intake manifold design, better exhaust w/headers, slightly more lift in the exhaust cam lobes, and less internal parasitic loss makes sense for ~35 hp crank gains.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...c8-lt2-engine/

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:52 AM   #7587
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
No. Right now LT1 is only for Camaro. Same with LT4 (for now ). Making an “LT3” that’s closer in build content to an LT2 makes perfect sense. It just swaps one Camaro-only build spec for another Camaro-only build spec that happens to be closer to Corvette build spec. Trucks top out at L87 with Dynamic Fuel Management, but look for an LT4 coming to an SUV.
Sorry, my bad, I meant to say "Develop a Camaro only engine" instead of "Make a Camaro only engine".

Does this mean that there is another refresh coming, or do you anticipate this on a new platform?

Would LOVE an LT4 in an SUV! Fun stuff!
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 12:04 PM   #7588
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
Sorry, my bad, I meant to say "Develop a Camaro only engine" instead of "Make a Camaro only engine".

Does this mean that there is another refresh coming, or do you anticipate this on a new platform?

Would LOVE an LT4 in an SUV! Fun stuff!
Isn't the LT4 going into the CT5 Blackwing?

but a LT4 SUV or Silverado would be amazing
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote