Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-18-2022, 12:44 PM   #225
CCG Garnet Red

Drives: 2017 RS Garnet Red Tintcoat A8
Read where they have been paying hundreds of thousands to buy carbon credits. In addition to trying to force us to buy ev, they can't continue their hemi business model. Catch 22.
CCG Garnet Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 12:59 PM   #226
flobb

Drives: 2022 2SS
The concept looks purpose built as a Fast n Furious prop car.
The fake exhaust sound thing is taken right out the 2011 movie 'The Dilemma' which also happened to star a Dodge Charger. https://youtu.be/mlVZMV0jvuU
flobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 01:05 PM   #227
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
Just watched it and not impressed by the looks. Always liked Challengers over Chargers by a long shot. Not a fan of the rims and I usually like Dodge rims. Hopefully they can create a great looking EV Challenger, not that I would buy one.
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 01:34 PM   #228
detamble13

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Too busy cruising Woodward after the unveil.

The Woodward Dream Cruise “officially” starts Saturday, but it’s really been under way all week. When I turned onto Woodward I was immediately behind a C8 Z06, a CT5V Blackwing, and a Ferrari 488 Pista.
James feel free to start another thread and post more pics. I can't make it this year and the show on channel 7 concentrates too much on the stories and not enough on the cars.
detamble13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 01:37 PM   #229
Chrome383Z

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realist View Post
Just watched it and not impressed by the looks. Always liked Challengers over Chargers by a long shot. Not a fan of the rims and I usually like Dodge rims. Hopefully they can create a great looking EV Challenger, not that I would buy one.
Looks are for the most part subjective. What turns me off is the wanna bee ICE car. It looks really good, and I’m sure will be fast as hell at least in the 1/4.

Fake sounds lol. I’d like to see a <3500lb car that can run 20min at full power on a road course. Then I’ll consider EV.
Old 08-18-2022, 02:31 PM   #230
Devstrike

Drives: 2020 Camaro LT1
Now that I slept on it all I have to say is what a big disappointment outside of looks this new car is. That being said once I can I will just put money into my car since it is a keeper and have a brand new next gen Mustang V8 next to it down the line. It is really sad how the Hornet ended up being the one that stood out at my home and might end up in the stable cause my wife is really interested in it for her future personal car possibilities. I remember when they launched the Hellcat and man that was one of the badass things ever and this recent debut is just way underwhelming compared to that.
Devstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 02:40 PM   #231

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Maybe GM can read some insight here and keep the ICE Camaro going for a little while longer. Wouldn't count on it, though. Hopefully if Chevy plans a Camaro EV they can avoid the blunders of an SUV MachE Mustang and avoid the cringe-worthy gimmicks similar to the Dodge. They have a chance to look at both of those and maybe get it right as much as possible.
We'll see.

But, yeah I think Dodge will find there's more to ICE than video game features in an EV. The ICE MoPars and Hemi's were anything but fake toys. Trying to pretend with an EV as a Dodge Muscle car just doesn't work.

EVs are EVs, ICE is ICE, the two don't mix.

Last edited by 90503; 08-18-2022 at 03:06 PM.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 03:20 PM   #232
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Maybe GM can read some insight here and keep the ICE Camaro going for a little while longer. Wouldn't count on it, though. Hopefully if Chevy plans a Camaro EV they can avoid the blunders of an SUV MachE Mustang and avoid the cringe-worthy gimmicks similar to the Dodge. They have a chance to look at both of those and maybe get it right as much as possible.
We'll see.

But, yeah I think Dodge will find there's more to ICE than video game features in an EV. The ICE MoPars and Hemi's were anything but fake toys. Trying to pretend with an EV as a Dodge Muscle car just doesn't work.

EVs are EVs, ICE is ICE, the two don't mix.

I agree. I am just picturing Dodge leadership sitting there in the conference room looking at each other trying to figure how do we maintain some of our customer base and at the same time draw a new younger generation to the Dodge EV Brotherhood.

I am imagining the next Fast and the Furious EV edition, where you either have silence or digitized feral wildcat noises.

I am really curious what these things will cost. Big batteries required to make big power with any reasonable amount of range are expensive.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 03:26 PM   #233
raptor5244

If they execute on this and it is actually fun then maybe, just maybe. But is it really fun or just a gimmick that gets old real quick? It sounds like it will hinder performance but they don't care. If it works and you have the option to turn the feature on or off then maybe...

Name:  Screen Shot 2022-08-18 at 4.21.45 PM.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  74.9 KB
2019 Tesla Model 3
Old 08-18-2022, 03:46 PM   #234
raptor5244

Funny post on the Hellcat forum.

Name:  Screen Shot 2022-08-18 at 4.45.50 PM.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  59.9 KB
2019 Tesla Model 3
Old 08-18-2022, 03:55 PM   #235
HouseStark

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbcamaro6 View Post
did you hear how it sounds ? When I first saw it I laughed out loud, but when I heard it I almost threw up. My first challenger V6 sounded better stock…
I did for the first 5 seconds I sat there in disbelief and then next I audibly laughed out loud at how ridiculous it was. The forced marketing on this thing is insane can’t wait for the subscribed options to start rolling in to fund the “brotherhood”
HouseStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 04:00 PM   #236
HouseStark

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
Yep, they are trying to inject personality into an EV and I am not sure it if it will work or not. Tim said him self multiple times that this is not their choice, the rules have changed and they are trying their best to play by them and still have some fun.

To your point, the EV minivans will be able to crank out 3 second 0-60mph times so who cares. 0-60mph is no longer a meaningful metric in EVs, they all feel quick enough because the power delivery is instantaneous.
That part bothered me more than the entire damn thing. I sat there thinking Tim you are literally the industry you are making the rules right now by not offering a v8 option. The production of their Hemi cost nothing at this point and there’s still very strong demand obviously. The amount of marketing to get us to believe they had no choice and this isn’t driven at all by profitability is laughable.

I agree with you though on your example 100% it’s a meaningless metric no one cares.
HouseStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 04:06 PM   #237
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I spent some time talking to some people that are a lot closer to this than I am and they passed on some very interesting thoughts.
  1. That sound. The information I had before that the sound will be naturally generated based on speed of the car IS ACCURATE, but for who knows what reason, that was not clearly said last night. The artificial sounds we heard last night are not the sounds this car would make in production.
  2. Because it is a CONCEPT they were not able to demonstrate it at speeds that would demonstrate the dynamic sound feature. That’s the only reason they pumped the sound in.
  3. The overall point is Dodge intends to deliver a performance / muscle car EV that addresses the biggest complaint that performance car enthusiasts have with EVs… lack of a soul
  4. They will do that by providing an EV that generates engine exhaust type sounds, but naturally generated by taking advantage of airflows around the car creating the sounds, not by artificial sound generators.
  5. They also intend to calibrate in distinctive shift points, though I’m still not clear on how they will do that.

I should also add that they swear to me that it did not sound as horrible in the room as it did over YouTube. I was talking to people who were in the media briefing last week and in the room last night during the reveal. Then they heard the YouTube replay and said, to a person, that is NOT what we heard.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 04:29 PM   #238
Devstrike

Drives: 2020 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseStark View Post
That part bothered me more than the entire damn thing. I sat there thinking Tim you are literally the industry you are making the rules right now by not offering a v8 option. The production of their Hemi cost nothing at this point and there’s still very strong demand obviously. The amount of marketing to get us to believe they had no choice and this isn’t driven at all by profitability is laughable.

I agree with you though on your example 100% it’s a meaningless metric no one cares.

They will still be building Hellcats for the Ram TRX and Hemis for the Rams like the 6.4 for the Ram HD trucks according to Ram CEO recently. If Dodge actually loses out after the newness wears off they can probably for a short time bring back a N/A Hemi as a backup plan. I doubt it but the option is there. Dodge is in a unique position they only offer an SUV and performance vehicles and soon the Hornet unlike Chevy and Ford that have the Camaro and Mustang under the same umbrellas as their Trucks and other vehicles. Dodge IMO will be the one to look at to see how well this change will be perceived.
Devstrike is offline   Reply With Quote