Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Phastek Performance

Old 09-30-2018, 07:33 PM   #1
NilesW

Drives: 2018 2SS vert, Hyper Blue
Sun Tec Paint Protection install question

I recently had Sun Tec paint protection installed on the front on my new SS convertible. Bumpers, partial hood, partial fenders, windshield frame, headlights and door handle pockets. The install was done by a highly recommended shop, I checked references and examined some finished work.

Mine has been on for about 3 weeks, and looks like it’s cured. Here’s my question: On some of the curved areas on the bumper, the vinyl has a small (about a finger width) spot where the wrap doesn’t meet. There are a few spots like that. It’s clear to me that the vinyl was pre-cut, and I understood that the tight curves of the front can be hard to wrap.

Has anyone who has paint protection on, seeing anything like this? I can go back to the installer but would like to know this is normal on the 6th gen, or did I not get a great install?
NilesW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 05:00 AM   #2
8675309’SS

Drives: 2017 2SS M6 Silver Ice Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilesW View Post
I recently had Sun Tec paint protection installed on the front on my new SS convertible. Bumpers, partial hood, partial fenders, windshield frame, headlights and door handle pockets. The install was done by a highly recommended shop, I checked references and examined some finished work.

Mine has been on for about 3 weeks, and looks like it’s cured. Here’s my question: On some of the curved areas on the bumper, the vinyl has a small (about a finger width) spot where the wrap doesn’t meet. There are a few spots like that. It’s clear to me that the vinyl was pre-cut, and I understood that the tight curves of the front can be hard to wrap.

Has anyone who has paint protection on, seeing anything like this? I can go back to the installer but would like to know this is normal on the 6th gen, or did I not get a great install?
Regardless of what film you purchased, that doesn’t sound right. Pictures?

My First Camaro! 2017 2SS 6M, Silver Ice Metallic, 20" Low Gloss Black Wheels, Red Fender Hashes, Ground FX, NPP, MRC, Sunroof, Black Bowties. Ordered 4-22-16, Picked up 7-16-16.
8675309’SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 05:27 AM   #3
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
That doesn't sound right. Who did it?
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:38 AM   #4
NilesW

It was done by MCOR, Tampa, Fl. I attempted pictures, but that’s a tough one. Now that I have 2 pix, I can’t seem to upload them. They are on my hard drive. Can’t upload them from there? I am going back to have them check a couple of tiny bubbles in the windshield tint. I had them apply 3M Crystiline 90 to the front and darker to the rest of the glass. Pix in album.

Last edited by NilesW; 10-01-2018 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Added pics to album
Old 10-01-2018, 10:03 PM   #5
8675309’SS

OP see below. I added your pics. I would not be happy with that...Mine just wraps around to the fender. I’m sure others will chime in with their thoughts.
Attached Images

My First Camaro! 2017 2SS 6M, Silver Ice Metallic, 20" Low Gloss Black Wheels, Red Fender Hashes, Ground FX, NPP, MRC, Sunroof, Black Bowties. Ordered 4-22-16, Picked up 7-16-16.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:02 PM   #6
oneredry
HYPER SS

Drives: 2016 Supercharged 2SS
whoa!
yeah that way isn't right. it almost resembles the ziebart that initially did mine, I had to pay to redo it. to me, that's unacceptable. Not sure what you paid for, but you should get what you pay for. I've always been told its all about the installer, and this was a lesson I learned after I did mine initially with Ziebart. No more.

Let me rephrase, the blue pictures are what mine looked like the silver car looks better.
3400 status 03/07/16 TPW of 03/14/16
4200 status 03/17/16 in transit!
Delivered 03/23/16
2SS Hyper Blue | 6M | NPP | Mag ride | ceramic white Int. | Black out bow ties | P3 Gauge| Front splitter. | 6 pot upgraded brembo brakes. | Magnuson Supercharger/95MM pulley | Rotofab Intake | ZL1 side skirts | HRE FF04 wheels - Michelin PSS4 | ZL1 add ons rock guards and lift points.
| AWE touring - resinated catback with link pipes.
oneredry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:36 PM   #7
NilesW

The silver car was done correctly, the blue one is mine, and not acceptable. It was done by a Tampa tint and stereo place that claims to the #1 installer in Tampa. They are certified to install 3M crystiline (must be certified by 3M to sell) which I also had done. I checked references, looked at high end cars they had done, saw the “clean” install area, etc. but clearly they dropped the ball on this one.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:48 PM   #8
NilesW

***UPDATE****. Took the camaro back to tint shop this morning to discuss my paint protection and tint. Short version, they agreed it was a shoddy install and not up to their standards. I complained about the cut on the PP, and was told that was the correct pattern for my car. I then pulled phone with pix of correctly installed PP, (thanks to 8675309’SS, and Randypipe, both that stayed up last night to take pictures and get them to me) and the tech noted that they were in the process of downloading the most current patterns from SunTec, which should fix my fit complaint when they re-install all the film again. My windshield has a hair and a piece of dirt in the tint film and it and the passenger side glass will also be redone. My appt is a week from today. It’ll be strike 3 for them, any further problems and I’ll do small claims court ( unless they make a suitable settlement ). I’m really hoping the redo is perfect. I expect it to be. Shout out to 8675309SS and Randypipe, whose help was invaluable to me!
Old 10-03-2018, 05:36 AM   #9
8675309’SS

Good to hear they are going to work on fixing it. Please note the difference in patterns between the Suntek and Xpel. Despite those differences, I think that the film edges should butt up right next to each other to create a seam. You shouldn’t have had a gap like they gave you. Worth it to discuss before they put it on again, though.
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2018, 07:56 AM   #10
NilesW

I’ll take the diagrams along. Thanks again!