Homepage Garage Wiki Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons


BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2020, 08:09 PM   #15
sage85z28
 
sage85z28's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 1SS cruiser/ 1985 Z28 racecar
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Annapolis MD
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonZLE View Post
American Racing Headers are the easiest to install on a 6th gen, In My Opinion

they go in without removing engine mounts like other brands.
Have any tips for the passenger side install? Iíve got mine on the lift, starter off, Chassis brace off and it still wonít go in from the top or bottom.
sage85z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:12 PM   #16
NYblack1le
 
Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage85z28 View Post
Have any tips for the passenger side install? Iíve got mine on the lift, starter off, Chassis brace off and it still wonít go in from the top or bottom.
Should go in easily through the bottom especially with the starter removed. I was able to remove just the heat shield on the starter and it slipped right in. What is obstructing you ?
NYblack1le is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:31 PM   #17
sage85z28
 
sage85z28's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 1SS cruiser/ 1985 Z28 racecar
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Annapolis MD
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYblack1le View Post
Should go in easily through the bottom especially with the starter removed. I was able to remove just the heat shield on the starter and it slipped right in. What is obstructing you ?
I have no idea, itís pissing me off lol. Iíve watched YT vids, searched on here and I just donít get it.
sage85z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 01:13 AM   #18
s346k

 
s346k's Avatar
 
Drives: 18 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: indiana
Posts: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage85z28 View Post
I have no idea, it’s pissing me off lol. I’ve watched YT vids, searched on here and I just don’t get it.
did you try removing the valve cover? i had to remove the vc and starter on the pass side. speed engineering, 2" primary.

edit: installed from the top. on my car, no way, no how was it going in from the bottom without dropping the skid plate.
__________________
2016+ camaro: everyoneís first car

Last edited by s346k; 09-17-2020 at 01:27 AM.
s346k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:20 AM   #19
sage85z28
 
sage85z28's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 1SS cruiser/ 1985 Z28 racecar
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Annapolis MD
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
did you try removing the valve cover? i had to remove the vc and starter on the pass side. speed engineering, 2" primary.

edit: installed from the top. on my car, no way, no how was it going in from the bottom without dropping the skid plate.
Iíll try that today, I removed the skid plate thinking that would do it but nope.
sage85z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:04 AM   #20
Darth Martel
Darth Martel
 
Darth Martel's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bizzaroland
Posts: 1,489
you need to remove the plastic protective plate as well as the 2 other plastic coverings, and the aluminum plate with the bar. The aluminum plate swings down. If you don't have the car jacked up enough it won't swing enough to clear the hook holding it up. I just bent the hook to get it off and bent it back afterwards. From my understanding, removing the starter negates the need to remove the motor mount. I can't say for sure but, I removed the motor mount. The starter probably would have been the easier move but, removing the motor mount definitely made installing the passenger side header easier. I've got a write up in the DIY section that chronicles how I did everything.
__________________
2016 Black 1SS w/ MRC, low-gloss black wheels, auto trans. Self-created custom Dark Knight Edition accents. Rotofab CAI with dry filter and sound tube delete, PRAY ported intake manifold and throttle body, Texas Speed cam, Stainless Works headers and exhaust, Skid Mark garage E85 kit, JMS fuel pump voltage booster, Square D torque converter. Custom E85/mod tune by Jannetty Racing.
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:27 AM   #21
NYblack1le
 
Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage85z28 View Post
I have no idea, itís pissing me off lol. Iíve watched YT vids, searched on here and I just donít get it.
take a picture
NYblack1le is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:55 AM   #22
Doc Oc
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: SC
Posts: 39
Surprised more people don't upgrade their mounts when putting in headers. Makes it much easier. I pulled the old mounts, put the headers in then put in the bmr mounts in about 5-6 hours on jackstands. No need to remove the steering or starter and came out with a much more solid feeling vehicle. Best $169 I ever spent. I did get lazy though and try to do it without removing the spark plugs. Don't make that mistake.
__________________
2017 2SS A8 TSP LT's, ported msd/95 mm, e85
Doc Oc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:11 AM   #23
sage85z28
 
sage85z28's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 1SS cruiser/ 1985 Z28 racecar
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Annapolis MD
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Oc View Post
Surprised more people don't upgrade their mounts when putting in headers. Makes it much easier. I pulled the old mounts, put the headers in then put in the bmr mounts in about 5-6 hours on jackstands. No need to remove the steering or starter and came out with a much more solid feeling vehicle. Best $169 I ever spent. I did get lazy though and try to do it without removing the spark plugs. Don't make that mistake.
Solid or poly mounts from BMR?
sage85z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:28 AM   #24
Doc Oc
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: SC
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage85z28 View Post
Solid or poly mounts from BMR?
The solid ones with the poly bushing. Mm010 I think. Getting the old ones out was the most difficult part of the job, but once they're gone getting the headers in is a breeze and the bmr's install very easily.
__________________
2017 2SS A8 TSP LT's, ported msd/95 mm, e85
Doc Oc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 11:19 AM   #25
sage85z28
 
sage85z28's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 1SS cruiser/ 1985 Z28 racecar
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Annapolis MD
Posts: 42
Does anyone know how much room is gained with just the MM009 mounts instead of the entire solid mount?
sage85z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:31 PM   #26
s346k

 
s346k's Avatar
 
Drives: 18 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: indiana
Posts: 869
any luck? from the sound of it, you're probably going to order motor mounts, too haha. one of those -might as well- additions, i suppose.
__________________
2016+ camaro: everyoneís first car
s346k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 07:50 AM   #27
sage85z28
 
sage85z28's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 1SS cruiser/ 1985 Z28 racecar
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Annapolis MD
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
any luck? from the sound of it, you're probably going to order motor mounts, too haha. one of those -might as well- additions, i suppose.
Exactly that. I might as well go ahead and do the mounts now being that the exhaust is out of way, that should make for a easier install.
sage85z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 10:59 PM   #28
sage85z28
 
sage85z28's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 1SS cruiser/ 1985 Z28 racecar
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Annapolis MD
Posts: 42
I ordered the BMR MM010 mounts and I have to say Iím not sure why anyone wouldnít change them while they are doing headers. The install is very easy with the exhaust out of the way and makes installation of the headers a breeze.
Sorry about some of the pics being sideways, they arenít that way in my phone.
Attached Images
     
sage85z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Post Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.