Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 12-11-2016, 09:41 AM   #29
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
A few pics for you guys to see. I can't say but to me it has to somewhat restrict airflow, power, and /or sound. Mine obviously came off and I went 3" no cats full headers back.
Attached Images

mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 02:17 PM   #30
gdgraph

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
It's tough to say because I replaced the crushed sections after I installed an aftermarket axle back and I haven' seen anyone that did mid pipes and left the stock exhaust but I can say that with my set up I had the Borla S-Type Axleback w/ NPP (11924) and after I installed their mid-pipe and x-pipe (60610) (which did replace the crushed sections) and is only a 2.75" OD there was a difference in sound. It was a little deeper and a little louder, not crazy loud but just enough to notice a difference and for me just enough because I didn't want it ear ripping loud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeDawn View Post
So for those of you who removed the crushed areas and went with a a 2.75 or 3 inch pipe , did it make a decent difference in sound? I plan on doing this sometime next week. I don't want to remove the NPP MUFFLER because I love the way it sounds on WOT, but I simply want to increase the volume by at least 5 to 10%. I have a feeling that if I were to remove the crimped areas and have an exhaust shop put in straight pipe it would sound a little louder

I need somebody to confirm that it indeed will increase the sound a little if I did this. I want to make sure it's worth the money. :>
gdgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 02:35 PM   #31
gdgraph

Just finished installing my Borla mid-pipes and x-pipe so I figured I'd take a few close up pics of all the crushed sections of the stock exhaust. The big one is the one everyone always talks about after the x-pipe near the rear axle, and the other are actually up near the secondary cats right where they bend up. Hope this helps for anyone considering upgrading their exhaust but isn't lucky enough to have access to a lift.
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2016, 02:37 PM   #32
gdgraph

Check out the pics I just posted, it may just push you over the edge to pull the trigger haha!

Quote:
Hrm.. I might pull the trigger on doing a straight pipe in place of the crushed section next week. Hopefully I'll notice some change.
Old 12-11-2016, 03:56 PM   #33
Doyal_Mcneff
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdgraph View Post
Just finished installing my Borla mid-pipes and x-pipe so I figured I'd take a few close up pics of all the crushed sections of the stock exhaust. The big one is the one everyone always talks about after the x-pipe near the rear axle, and the other are actually up near the secondary cats right where they bend up. Hope this helps for anyone considering upgrading their exhaust but isn't lucky enough to have access to a lift.
Regardless of how the pipes are shaped, they'll still flow the same. One side is wider and one side is shorter. It equals to be the exact same flow. It's stupid and pointless to replace these.

These mid pipes and kits are being made to take advantage of people who don't know anything about their car. Unless it deletes the secondary cats, or your midnpipes are rusting, there's no need for this stuff.
Doyal_Mcneff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 04:13 PM   #34
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
It is NOT the same "flow" the flow area is much smaller. It is a restriction is another story. The poster clearly said he was doing if for sound. It does not matter if it is this pipe or the entire exhaust after the primary cat there is little to be gained. The general real world thinking is 10 HP when combined with LT headers and off road pipe. The factory header is 2.1" ID and the front cat is heck of small and bent. So gut feeling a after primary cat back is worth say 0 to 5 HP, 2.5 is the bell. So the guy wants to spend $75 bucks at the local shop for grins. How about the guy that spends $1500 for a fancy primary cat back exhaust and gains 2.5 HP? Heck LT and off road pipes is worth 12 to 20 HP say the bell is at 16 for $1000. Anyway you look at it this expensive bang for the $, heck removing the crush bend might just be the BEST bang for dollar, just that the gain is within measuring error.... so relax.

I think it sucks and will slide hammer and braze mine when I get unlazy (could be years).
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.

Last edited by oldman; 12-11-2016 at 04:24 PM.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 04:18 PM   #35
parish8

Drives: 17 SS a8
Someone above said about 5/8 of the area. That looks pretty close to me. There is a much smaller cross section.
parish8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 04:48 PM   #36
oldman

rough calculations
stock header 2.1 Id, about 2.25 OD: OD flow area 3.53" sq
mid pipe 2 and 3/4 OD: OD flow area 5.94" sq
crush bend is like concave banana boat 3.46" x 1.61. I going to eyeball call it 1/2 of a 3.2 inch OD pipe: 4.02" Sq

clearly the stock header where there is the MOST energy is the primary restriction in the system. Gas Law and a heat delta of say 300 degrees, don't know college was in the 70s with a slide rule, starts at absolute zero: so say 60 percent of the original gas volume when the exhaust hits the crush.... not an issue, but it is a restriction none the less and somebody going to LT and off road pipes probably should look at the old slide hammer and a brazing rod.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:19 PM   #37
gdgraph

No, I was just trying to point out how ugly the stock pipe is, in hopes to convince you to pull the trigger and buy a nice after market exhaust!

I just shot some sound clips of the Borla set up I have, obviously it will be a little different for you if you want to keep the stock muffler, but I can confirm that it sounds much better (deeper, louder) makes the car really sound sweet compared to when I just had the aftermarket axle back with the stock mid-pipes & xpipe!

Quote:
Are you being sarcastic? LOL?????? I'm not sure....I'm not sure if you're saying it would be stupid to pay money to get a straight pipe or if you truly think they restrict noise and power.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:21 PM   #38
gdgraph

Sound clips as promised:

This is the Borla S-Type w/NPP (11924) along with the upgraded 2.75" Borla mid-pipes and x-pipe (60610).

https://youtu.be/lZ8TUMHxgMw
Old 12-11-2016, 05:33 PM   #39
Doyal_Mcneff
Account Suspended

Quote:
Sound clips as promised:

This is the Borla S-Type w/NPP (11924) along with the upgraded 2.75" Borla mid-pipes and x-pipe (60610).

https://youtu.be/lZ8TUMHxgMw
Sounds great man!

I have the Borla s type and corsa x pipe on my c7 corvette. I went corsa with my camaro because I was kinda pissed that the s type was the same volume as the npp that was on my vette originally. Ironically....I feel like the corsa extremes are the same volume has the npp that was on my camaro : (

I was considering the Borla mid pipes that delete the sencondary cats, but I'm
Trying to hold out to see what corsa has to offer. My vette sounds straight up
mean with the Borla s type and corsa x pipe.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:39 PM   #40
oldman

sounds great.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:45 PM   #41
gdgraph

Thanks great man! I love how both Corsa & Borla sound, it's not too loud when you are cruising, there's zero drone, and when you stomp on it they just sound nasty!

I went with the 60610 for the mid-pipe & x-pipe set up because I didn't want to risk deleting the secondary cats and running into any emissions testing issues since VA tests you every 2 years.

But hey, if you want a little louder you can always try to exchange your S-Type out with the Attack! Just try to trade with someone that did the opposite and went louder than they wanted to. I bet your vette sounds sick regardless though, they are pretty loud already from the factory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyal_Mcneff View Post
Sounds great man!

I have the Borla s type and corsa x pipe on my c7 corvette. I went corsa with my camaro because I was kinda pissed that the s type was the same volume as the npp that was on my vette originally. Ironically....I feel like the corsa extremes are the same volume has the npp that was on my camaro : (

I was considering the Borla mid pipes that delete the sencondary cats, but I'm
Trying to hold out to see what corsa has to offer. My vette sounds straight up
mean with the Borla s type and corsa x pipe.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:50 PM   #42
Doyal_Mcneff
Account Suspended

Quote:
Thanks great man! I love how both Corsa & Borla sound, it's not too loud when you are cruising, there's zero drone, and when you stomp on it they just sound nasty!

I went with the 60610 for the mid-pipe & x-pipe set up because I didn't want to risk deleting the secondary cats and running into any emissions testing issues since VA tests you every 2 years.

But hey, if you want a little louder you can always try to exchange your S-Type out with the Attack! Just try to trade with someone that did the opposite and went louder than they wanted to. I bet your vette sounds sick regardless though, they are pretty loud already from the factory.
The vette was fine after the corsa x.

Where in va are you tested? I'm in Hampton roads and we don't have any testing thank god. Edit...just saw you're in nova.