Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 02-03-2022, 06:13 PM   #1
PackManDan

Drives: None at the moment
Going from a Corvette to a Camaro?

Hoping to get some real-world feedback here.

I just sold my 2009 ZR1 Corvette (638 HP / 604 TQ stock). Before that I had a 2010 ZR1 and before that I had a 2007 Z06 (505 HP / 470 TQ stock). I love the C6 Corvettes but I think it would be nice to have something with a new upgraded interior. I also am interested in transitioning to 4 seats instead of 2 and the thought of an automatic is appealing too.

I would like to stay under $45,000, so that leaves me with the 2017-2018 SS and possibly a 2020 SS, though that's pushing the $45k price tag. I'm impressed with the power (on paper) but to me the looks are very pedestrian. It doesn't look that aggressive and doesn't really stand out like the ZR1 does.

Has anyone gone from a C6 Z06 or ZR1 and now own a SS Camaro? Can you tell me your experiences? Are you pleased? Displeased? My only concern is I'll buy the car and feel it is under-powered (yes you can always throw money at it to change that) and also feel it just looks rather plain and bland. Anyone have pictures of their SS with maybe an aftermarket hood, spoiler, etc...?
PackManDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 06:19 PM   #2
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
The SS is an awesome car. However considering what you're used to, it might not do it for you. It might be better to look at a C7 Z06 or C7 GS or 6th Gen ZL1. If you do get the SS then go for the 1LE.

But the standard SS just might surprise you. Best way to find out is with a test drive.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 06:20 PM   #3
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
Test drive the SS and you can make the conclusion.

I'll tell you my opinion. I have both Corvette and Camaro. My C6 is a GS with header, tune, intake. My Camaro is 2018 ZL1. Powerwise, I feel the are about the same with the Corvette feeling quicker initially.

Handling well the Camaro is newer with better technology however it is still a heavier and bigger car. This isn't a bad thing just different than the C6.

Overall satisfied with both but different machines

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2022, 06:25 PM   #4
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
:

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2022, 06:57 PM   #5
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackManDan View Post

I just sold my 2009 ZR1 Corvette (638 HP / 604 TQ stock). Before that I had a 2010 ZR1 and before that I had a 2007 Z06 (505 HP / 470 TQ stock). I love the C6 Corvettes but I think it would be nice to have something with a new upgraded interior. I also am interested in transitioning to 4 seats instead of 2 and the thought of an automatic is appealing too.

I would like to stay under $45,000, so that leaves me with the 2017-2018 SS and possibly a 2020 SS, though that's pushing the $45k price tag. I'm impressed with the power (on paper) but to me the looks are very pedestrian. It doesn't look that aggressive and doesn't really stand out like the ZR1 does.

Has anyone gone from a C6 Z06 or ZR1 and now own a SS Camaro? Can you tell me your experiences? Are you pleased? Displeased? My only concern is I'll buy the car and feel it is under-powered (yes you can always throw money at it to change that) and also feel it just looks rather plain and bland. Anyone have pictures of their SS with maybe an aftermarket hood, spoiler, etc...?
Here is my 2020 2SS (in Shadow Gray Metallic), I don't think it looks "pedestrian" at all... I much prefer the "Muscle Car" look of the Camaro vs. the "Sports Car" look of the Vette...

Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 07:28 PM   #6
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Sounds like you already answered your question. You will not be happy with the looks of a camaro and only 455 hp. Start looking for a 500+ hp 4-seater in your price range and prepare to go a few years back. Frankly I have no idea how to guide you. Maybe an older amg, m5, or panamera.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 07:37 PM   #7
zxspeedspec
Banned

Drives: Faster than yours
I went from a C7 Z51 and then a C7 GS to my current ZLE. It was a huge improvement for me. The ZLE seems to have better interior build quality even if some of the materials are cheaper (hard touch plastic vs leather). My current ZLE makes less creaking noises and everything feels solid. It's hard to explain, but parts of the C7 interior just felt... cheap.

Performance wise I got a massive upgrade. The DSSV suspension is miles ahead of the MRSC on the C7 and it's got amazing feedback. The C7 tends to have grip until it doesn't and then you're in a flat spin. The ZLE gives you subtle feedback along the way and gradually warns you that you're getting stupider and stupider with your inputs.

For you though? A C6 ZR1 to a SS? I'd have to say that's a huge downgrade. The SS may look more modern, but you have the 2nd most capable Corvette ever made (maybe 3rd, but we'll have to see how well the C8s do on track). Asides from the C7 ZR1 and ZLE, you have the most capable track weapon GM has ever built. I don't think I could go from that to a SS even if it was a 1LE.

I'm sure you get people doing second looks at the ZR1. You will NOT get that affect in a SS. Not sure how important this is for you, but the SS will essentially blend into the other sea of Mustangs/Challengers/Chargers/Camaros. Your average person won't know the difference between the SS and a Camry and your average enthusiast can't tell if it's a RS with a fake badge or a real SS.

Also, the 4 seats in the Camaro isn't really 4 seats. You can fit some toddlers and/or dogs back there. I can't fit my 5'3" girlfriend in the back comfortably. She has to hold her head to the side so it doesn't hit the ceiling.
zxspeedspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 07:42 PM   #8
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
If you’re used to 640 hp, then the SS will probably disappoint you. Now if the reason you sold your ZR1 is because you thought it was a bit much on the street then the SS will be a happy change. Knowing myself though I could never go backwards in power. I know I would be very disappointed. If you want a newer interior than what you’re used to and the same power level as what you’re used too than you’d have to get a Zl1 but you’ll have to up your budget of course.
m6-lt1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 08:27 PM   #9
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
The Camaro SS will not feel as visceral as the C6 ZR1 or Z06. The Camaro will feel more refined with its nicer interior, infotainment, heated and ventilated seats if you go SS and if you go auto I would try to get the 10 speed, which performs really well. The chassis/suspension is so good in the Camaro that it really hides the speed so power so it can handle the power a lot better than the C7 Z06 does with the LT4. IMO, you will probably want ZL1 power, but is going to cost quite a bit more right now.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 09:11 PM   #10
Nilly Welson

Drives: Camaro Super Sport, Six on the Stik
Quote:

Add a rally stripe kit, changes the whole look to more aggressive.
Nilly Welson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 09:22 PM   #11
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
The best advice you’re gonna get on the form is to go drive Both the SS and the ZL1 and see what you like. Ive owned corvettes for 20 plus year before going back to a Muscle car / sports car and it’s going to come down to what you like.
Old 02-04-2022, 04:57 AM   #12
ALMN

Drives: 2SS 1LE M6, Palisade Calligraphy
Quote:

Your best bet is to get a base model LT1 camaro around 3600 lbs $35,000 and dropping a supercharger for $10,000 in there. That would put you in a roughly 3700 lbs 600 whp 4 seater sports coupe within your expected budget and performance. Once you want to spend more, you can upgrade the handling of the car.
ALMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 08:03 AM   #13
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
I have a 2011 GS with an E-force and I also have a 2017 SS. Both are great.

As for as going from 2-seats to 4-seats, the back seats are really not usable in the Camaro for passengers.

Honestly, my Corvette has more usable cargo capacity than my Camaro.

The 8-speed and 10-speed automatic trans are amazing.

But you are coming from a ZR1, I think you would not be satisfied with anything less than a ZL1.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 09:05 AM   #14
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
5yrs ago I was set on buying a C6 Z06. Went to a local dealership that had a 2007 with 7k miles. It was super clean like new so I took it for a spin. It was fun but it did ride a bit rough and I don't like how the rear tires feel like they are right by your head. Also was tight on leg room. Anyway got back in from the test drive and seen a 6th gen SS on the lot. I asked to take that for a spin...set out and was instantly blown away how improved the Camaro was. Other then looks(Not that the SS is bad just C6Z looks better imo) and power above 5k rpm, the SS was better imo. It felt torquier low end/mid range. The interior is better, rides better, and feels smoother.

As you can see I ended up with a Camaro and I could of easily grabbed the C6Z. At the time when you could get ultra low mileage(basically new) SS cars for 31-36k( 1ss/2ss) they were hard to beat bang for buck. Now the same cars are going for 40-50k with more mileage. I think I would just go for a used 19 ZL1 in the low 60's at this point.

The C7Z is also an amazing car and rides great with magnetic ride in tour mode. But also hard for my tall ass to get in and out...So all around from the cars I have driven and experienced, the 6th gen ZL1 is hard to beat...SS is not far behind.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote