#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 11-03-2017, 05:20 PM   #71
cornerjunkie

Drives: Nightfall Gray 17 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwav8r View Post
Where are you finding the OEM pad size and pad sizes for the Hawks and/or Powerstops??
Attached are the spec sheets for the Powerstop pads. Got them from Powerstop support.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Z26-1053.pdf (196.4 KB, 115 views)
File Type: pdf Z26-1835.pdf (308.8 KB, 94 views)
cornerjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 06:36 AM   #72
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwav8r View Post
OK, for those that have gone to the Powerstops, have you noticed any appreciable difference from OEM?
Agree on less initial bite, but they stop just fine. Kinda like when I first took delivery of the car @ 5 mi... the OEM pads took a few miles to bed in. Now I don't notice the difference after 1000mi on the powerstops.

One of my rears squeaks a bit pulling out of the garage, but by the time I get to the corner stop sign, it's fine. This is probably why the OEM pads have a metal shim and a half ton of copper grease on 'em. Will transfer the metal shims and some of the gloop the next time I have it in the air.

Exorcising the Dust Demons is totally totally worth one angelic squeak.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 07:46 AM   #73
Biscuit.fr

Drives: Red hot ZL1 A10 2017
Finally changed my pads for Z26.
Amazing how efficient it is for the «*no dust*»
Same here: little smoother on the initial bit but brake same
Can’t tell the difference....

But
Surprised when I removed the OEM
(Specially in the rear where they are a little bit more loose)
Saw some red grease and immediately thought about an hyd leak of my pistons
But no
Cleaned everything and there is no leak.
The red paste comes from the OEM pad itself
It is the glue between the metallic part in contact with the piston and the rest of the pad.
These 2 parts are moving spreading the red glue in between...
Glad I switched to power stop z26
Was thinking to keep the OEM for racing and z26 for daily no dust drive
But with this issue, no way
Front OEM look good, both rear have this red glue issue...

Just to let you know....
Biscuit.fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 08:21 PM   #74
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
I assume this has already been brought up, but the reason why that last pad (Hawk) is smaller is because that is the pad for the SS w/ 6 piston front brake which uses a smaller pad surface area. I.e. the wrong pad for a ZL1.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:54 PM   #75
speedraider

Drives: 2016 Z06, 2017 ZL1
I've had the powerstops on my car since about the 2nd week I bought the car. They do help a lot with the brake dust, but the stopping power is no where as good as the stock pads. Yes, I did bed the power stops in . When running about 80 and having to get on the brakes hard will give you the pucker factor.
speedraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 06:49 AM   #76
VAZL1

Drives: 17 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedraider View Post
I've had the powerstops on my car since about the 2nd week I bought the car. They do help a lot with the brake dust, but the stopping power is no where as good as the stock pads. Yes, I did bed the power stops in . When running about 80 and having to get on the brakes hard will give you the pucker factor.
Something seems off my friend, I have done this several times and most certainly did not experience any loss of stopping power. I agree that their not track pads, but for the street they work perfectly. I believe a real world test is in order. Hopefully a couple of ZL1 owners that live in the same area can do some testing for the group and report back.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:13 AM   #77
Pwiegand

Drives: 2018 ZL1 in sweet hyper blue
In regular day-to-day driving I've noticed no difference except the near absence of dust.
Pwiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:19 PM   #78
soceur77

Drives: 17 NFG ZL1 17 GTR 22 RS6
why does summit say the Z-26-1835 isnt for my Z? I brought them anyway, but without this forum Id have been confused....
soceur77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 01:50 PM   #79
ReefBlueCoupe

Drives: '18 ZL1 1LE MBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djfury05 View Post
Get the wheels ceramic coated. It helps tremendously with cleaning the dust off. I had mine done for $25 a wheel. I apply some wheel and tire cleaner, wait 30 seconds, agitate briefly and then rinse off and the wheels look brand new. All 4 wheels take less than 5 minutes start to finish. With a strong enough stream of water the dust can be rinsed off too but for me agitating with a brush gets a better result.
The problem with that is it splatters water all over the rest of the car, so that's not really a good solution, and is quite cumbersome to do every time the car is driven.

Ceramic pads are the only way to actually reduce dust to a point where dust is not noticeable. Powerstop and Hawk got ya covered, as has been pointed out in this thread.

For me, the dust sucks from the stock pads, but the stopping power of them is amazing, so I'm happy to hit the wheels with a soft microfiber cloth after every couple drives.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:11 PM   #80
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 (A10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post
I assume this has already been brought up, but the reason why that last pad (Hawk) is smaller is because that is the pad for the SS w/ 6 piston front brake which uses a smaller pad surface area. I.e. the wrong pad for a ZL1.
Yes, I’m tracking that however, when I contacted Hawk back in September (?) about the proper pads (you couldn’t find any info online), they recommended these pads.

I understand that Hawk now has the right size pads(?). The ones the OP listed are numerically, and I assume bigger, than the ones I photoed.

I actually deleted that post from this thread as I realized it wasn’t relevant. apparently I didn’t delete it well enough... apologies for the red herring.

Just deleted the photos I erroneously posted to end the confusion

Last edited by kwav8r; 05-19-2018 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Deleted errant post
kwav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 03:16 PM   #81
jbp8653

Drives: 2017 ZL1,2013 ZR1, 1952 C3100 Resto
Quote:
Originally Posted by soceur77 View Post
why does summit say the Z-26-1835 isnt for my Z? I brought them anyway, but without this forum Id have been confused....
The correct Power stop pads are z26-1835 and z26-1053. They work great. I have them on my car! The initial bite is a little less but after that they are the same. These pads are more than enough for street driving. You would never use them on the track though.

2013 ZR1 60th Anniv.

1952 C3100 resto-rod. LS6, 4L60e, 228R cam
jbp8653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 06:53 PM   #82
cmeJATT

Drives: SS-6-SPD
can someone help me find aftermarket replacement rotors? i need to order rotors, but don't feel like spending $700/front set
cmeJATT is offline   Reply With Quote