BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-01-2019, 11:01 AM   #1
KrisHorton
3D Renderings and such...

Drives: 2019 Shock 1SS 1LE
Send a message via AIM to KrisHorton
Floaty feeling after drop/alignment

Hey all,

I had Eibachs installed on Saturday and the shop then aligned the car on a Hunter rack. It was the end of the day, so when they wrapped up, I was told that if there are any issues with the alignment, that I could bring it back in this week and they would take care of it.

About a block away, I noticed that the steering wheel was cocked slightly to the left (3-5 degrees) so I was already planning to take it back to them. Further down the road, as I was getting on the freeway, I noticed the car felt a little, for lack of a better term, floaty - as though the car was losing traction, but not...if that makes sense. It felt like the car was fishtailing, but not out of control, just like the road was a bit slippery.

Has anyone who's lowered their MRC cars experienced this? In all my searching, I've seen little to no conclusive proof that the MRC needs any sort of reflash/relearn, so I suspect it's an alignment issue. But in my experience, most alignment-related problems usually result in steering wheel wobble or vibrations in the car.

I'd appreciate any input/insight into the issue. I know the subject of lowering these cars is touchy, so if you disagree with it, let me have it..but actual, helpful input would be way cooler.
KrisHorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:46 AM   #2
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
It has been said before, but I will repeat... DO NOT LOWER A MRC car!!!!

The software is made to work with the existing spring rates and length.

GM did their homework on this car and the roll center is where it should be for optimum handling with the factory MRC calibrations. Any alteration from that and you are sacrificing performance for looks.

Some will disagree and say "my car runs fine on lower springs", but I don't agree.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 12:29 PM   #3
Move_Over

Drives: ISO ss 1le
Yeah u done messed up, the sensors are now thinking they’re an inch compressed, sending a constant rebound signal to the shocks. No bueno.
Move_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 12:37 PM   #4
KrisHorton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Move_Over View Post
Yeah u done messed up, the sensors are now thinking they’re an inch compressed, sending a constant rebound signal to the shocks. No bueno.
Any idea what would have caused it to happen on my car and not on the dozens of other cars that have had the same springs installed? Can't imagine people are out there driving their cars and thinking that's OK.
Old 07-01-2019, 01:11 PM   #5
Tim M

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
I'm not convinced the shocks are that sensitive.

If you steering wheel is off - means they didn't do a very good alignment in the beginning. I'd lean on excess toe out. Did you get a post alignment sheet with the numbers? Post and folks might be able to assist. Nonetheless, the alignment is off.

Also post a pic of your lowered car! I think mine would look 100% better with an inch drop...
Old 07-01-2019, 01:16 PM   #6
KrisHorton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
I'm not convinced the shocks are that sensitive.

If you steering wheel is off - means they didn't do a very good alignment in the beginning. I'd lean on excess toe out. Did you get a post alignment sheet with the numbers? Post and folks might be able to assist. Nonetheless, the alignment is off.

Also post a pic of your lowered car! I think mine would look 100% better with an inch drop...
He didn't print out the specs, but I'm heading back this evening to have him look at it and adjust as needed. If that doesn't fix the floaty-ness, I'll have to head to the dealer. They're doing the diff fluid this morning (just passed 1500 miles) and told me they'd align it if the performance shop couldn't get it dialed in.

Here's a side shot of the car post-lowering!
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2019, 01:30 PM   #7
asrautox

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Meh, don't listen to the naysayers. They are usually the ones who don't have direct experience and are just trying to justify their own opinions. Get the car properly aligned then report back..
asrautox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 01:37 PM   #8
TRZ06

Pay attention to the rack as well. Any change in rack from stock will affect handling as well.

Previous:
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
03' C5 Z06
Old 07-01-2019, 02:16 PM   #9
AmazinglySmooth

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Could also be tramlining.
AmazinglySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 02:21 PM   #10
KrisHorton

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazinglySmooth View Post
Could also be tramlining.
Doesn't seem to be that as I've had cars with wide front tires that did it really bad. This is more of a loose, fishtaily feeling.
Old 07-01-2019, 03:15 PM   #11
TRZ06

I'm surprised people want to lower the SS 1LE. It has a nice stance in stock form with less wheel gap and more flush wheels to fender than most other performance cars already.

About the only MFG. who does it better is Porsche. Have you seen stock Ferraris or Lambos?

This is mine stock...

Name:  IMG_8252.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  193.3 KB

Compared to...

Name:  IMG_8999.JPG
Views: 610
Size:  118.4 KB

I think GM have come a long way
Attached Images

Previous:
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
03' C5 Z06

Last edited by TRZ06; 07-01-2019 at 03:31 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:42 PM   #12
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisHorton View Post
Hey all,

I had Eibachs installed on Saturday and the shop then aligned the car on a Hunter rack. It was the end of the day, so when they wrapped up, I was told that if there are any issues with the alignment, that I could bring it back in this week and they would take care of it.

About a block away, I noticed that the steering wheel was cocked slightly to the left (3-5 degrees) so I was already planning to take it back to them. Further down the road, as I was getting on the freeway, I noticed the car felt a little, for lack of a better term, floaty - as though the car was losing traction, but not...if that makes sense. It felt like the car was fishtailing, but not out of control, just like the road was a bit slippery.

Has anyone who's lowered their MRC cars experienced this? In all my searching, I've seen little to no conclusive proof that the MRC needs any sort of reflash/relearn, so I suspect it's an alignment issue. But in my experience, most alignment-related problems usually result in steering wheel wobble or vibrations in the car.

I'd appreciate any input/insight into the issue. I know the subject of lowering these cars is touchy, so if you disagree with it, let me have it..but actual, helpful input would be way cooler.
Did you have the suspension level sensors re-adjusted? Was any care taken to the level sensors upon installation of the springs?

The 1LE Eibach springs are supposed to lower the car about 19-20mm, which is a fairly decent deviation from factory.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 05:03 PM   #13
KrisHorton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
Did you have the suspension level sensors re-adjusted? Was any care taken to the level sensors upon installation of the springs?

The 1LE Eibach springs are supposed to lower the car about 19-20mm, which is a fairly decent deviation from factory.
When I spoke to the dealer this morning while dropping off for the diff fluid, they told me they aligned a car with Eibachs the other day and it didn't need flashing according to the tech. I know that's not gospel, but it makes me wonder what I could tell them to get them to look into it. I can always try a different dealer. There are four within a 30 mile radius.

The tech that installed my springs was familiar with MRC and took care when installing, but beyond a software flash, is there anything he could have done?
Old 07-01-2019, 05:32 PM   #14
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Maybe silly suggestion, but is tire psi too high?
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote