Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 06-21-2019, 02:49 PM   #1
Nabush

Drives: 2017 C7 GS M7 / 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
C7 GS -> ZL1 1LE would you trade if you already had an SS 1LE ?

Open question :

Would you trade a C7 GS (FBO) for a ZL1 1LE is you already have a SS 1LE ?

Main use of the car is AutoX/(very) spirited driving on mountain roads/Roadcourse

Always liked the ZL1 1LE but :

- Heavier than C7 GS, probably slower on AutoX (I run 315/345 Hoosiers A7)
- Braking better on the C7
- Pretty close to an SS 1LE ?
- 2 Camaro's WTF ??
- Not sure how the car copes on tire wear especially slicks/hoosiers, possible to put 18inch wheels ?
- You can make a GS faster than a ZR1 ZTK on roadcourse with minor chassis mods. (DSC Tractive shocks, harder bushings) with stock engine... Pretty sure ZL1 1LE is maxed out as far as chassis optimisation with the DSSV shocks... ??

On the other hand :

- LT4 with 650HP. Faster on straight line (though not by much compared to an FBO C7 GS). Great potential power if FBO though.
- Great manual gearbox with real ratios. I hate the ratios of my C7. 2nd too short, 4 too long, 5th way too long and 6-7 useless.
- Probably a little faster on fast tracks. Very close on tighter tracks. Easier to drive at the limit ? My SS 1LE requires a little less work at the limit than the vette, but it is not bad on the vette

What would you do ? Everytime I think about the ZL1 1LE I want one, but not sure it would be a good choice to have 2 Camaros, and the C7 has also tremendous potential to be fast (faster) and maintaining exotic look...

Last edited by Nabush; 06-21-2019 at 03:13 PM.
Nabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 02:58 PM   #2
GuywithL86

Drives: Black
If you're getting the itch for a change, I'd cam the GS

I'd personally rather have a cammed GS over a z06.

And a cammed ss 1le over a zl1.

Cam it, raise the rev limiter a bit = just as much power as the lt4, but you don't have the extra weight, heat, and hp loss from the supercharger, and most importantly you get a glorious powerband and exhaust.
GuywithL86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 03:28 PM   #3
asrautox

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Any one of those options would be good enough for me.. If I could choose only one car though, it would have to be the ZL1 1LE. It's just a special car.
asrautox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:20 PM   #4
Nabush

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuywithL86 View Post
If you're getting the itch for a change, I'd cam the GS

I'd personally rather have a cammed GS over a z06.

And a cammed ss 1le over a zl1.

Cam it, raise the rev limiter a bit = just as much power as the lt4, but you don't have the extra weight, heat, and hp loss from the supercharger, and most importantly you get a glorious powerband and exhaust.
Yep I'm considering camming the GS at some point...

I do the tuning myself with HP Tuner, could be a fun thing to tune a cammed LT. But before that I was planning on putting a flex sensor to run E85, porting my MSD Intake manifold, and perhaps put ported heads...
Old 06-21-2019, 09:05 PM   #5
SpazmXylam
Because Racecar!

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
18's fit on SS 1LE but its tight. Pretty sure ZL1 1LE brakes are larger by almost an inch.
Corvette is the better track choice in my opinion. (but i'm not much of a vette guy so my SS 1LE suites me good.)
With tire wear, its more about the car set-up and track. Though a heavier car with all other things considered equal should use up more tires and brakes.

If i was in your boat, i would keep the C7.
Though my ideal choice would be a base ZL1 coupe. I have driven a ZL1 1LE and was too much of a race car for me to think i would enjoy driving it every day on public roads.
SpazmXylam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:05 PM   #6
GuywithL86

Drives: Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabush View Post
Yep I'm considering camming the GS at some point...

I do the tuning myself with HP Tuner, could be a fun thing to tune a cammed LT. But before that I was planning on putting a flex sensor to run E85, porting my MSD Intake manifold, and perhaps put ported heads...
Yeah I mean that pretty much ends the discussion then

What could be better than a 600whp NA c7 GS? Well besides a katech 427 c7 gs
GuywithL86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 06:49 AM   #7
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
I have a SS 1LE (17) and am looking at getting a ZL1 1LE. I like the weight, frontal area, etc. of the GS / Z06 better. If going to keep them long term, the Camaro is way easier to work on being conventional prop, rear diff. The Camaro has lots more that have been built and parts that are conventional like steel fenders, aluminum vs. CF hood, etc.

Since I have 18 and 21 year old playing with the cars, too, I calculated the cost to knock the nose off a car - which could easily be from my driving too. The Camaro was TONS less, like 1/3rd the cost.

For example, not including any other parts, paint, or labor, for a splitter, hood, both headlamps, both fenders (NOTHING else like grille, hood CF insert, etc.), it's $5207 Retail for the Camaro and the GS / Z06 was $16917 plus tax.

I'm just looking at it if you run these cars on track enough, something is going to happen, whether it is your fault or not. I'd rather pay out of pocket for fixing a Camaro than a Corvette when the hood on the Vette costs more than the entire front end of the Camaro.

Plus, from a track capability, short of a ZR1, the cooling is way better on a SS 1LE or a ZL1 / ZL1 1LE, especially the manuals. Even a manual ZR1 will heat soak quicker than a manual ZL1 1LE.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 09:12 AM   #8
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
I'd keep the Grand Sport, personally. I wouldn't swap it for a ZL1 1LE. Heck, I'm having a hard time justifying getting a ZL1 1LE by trading in my current FBO SS 1LE. For me, I'm a set of heads/cam or blower away from being completely content with the vehicle so, the cost doesn't seem to make sense. If I was already sitting inside of a FBO C7 GS, I'd never even consider swapping to another vehicle, I'd just go to the next step in the modding process if I got bored with the power.
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 05:48 PM   #9
Nabush

So guys, I test drove the ZL1 1LE today, as my Chevy dealer has 3 right now…
This was a white one. Brand new, 14 miles on it…

I liked it a lot, some remarks :

- So close to an SS 1LE ! The whole feeling of the car is so close. Shifter, brakes steering, all the same
- Did not feel a lot faster than the SS 1LE...(up to 80 mph). Gearing is really good though, good shove of torque in 4-5-6. I was disapointed by the 2nd gear pull (I waited to have the oil at 200F and limited the rpm to 5500 by respect to the future owner). My 460WHP C7 GS feels faster on a 2nd gear pull... I was ready for a big hammering pull and it was not there.
- Handling is really good. Precise turn in, some roll but not a lot. Very firm suspension but it doesn't bother me.
- Braking seems good but not to C7 levels

I don't think it is worth an upgrade from a C7 GS, even from a SS 1LE...in my point of view. I wish I could try one on a track or a mountain road though...my test drive was 20min long only and on fairly smooth roads...
Old 06-24-2019, 06:45 PM   #10
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
So guys, I test drove the ZL1 1LE today, as my Chevy dealer has 3 right now…
This was a white one. Brand new, 14 miles on it…

I liked it a lot, some remarks :

- So close to an SS 1LE ! The whole feeling of the car is so close. Shifter, brakes steering, all the same
- Did not feel a lot faster than the SS 1LE...(up to 80 mph). Gearing is really good though, good shove of torque in 4-5-6. I was disapointed by the 2nd gear pull (I waited to have the oil at 200F and limited the rpm to 5500 by respect to the future owner). My 460WHP C7 GS feels faster on a 2nd gear pull... I was ready for a big hammering pull and it was not there.
- Handling is really good. Precise turn in, some roll but not a lot. Very firm suspension but it doesn't bother me.
- Braking seems good but not to C7 levels

I don't think it is worth an upgrade from a C7 GS, even from a SS 1LE...in my point of view. I wish I could try one on a track or a mountain road though...my test drive was 20min long only and on fairly smooth roads...
For mountain roads, I think the SS 1LE is better. For back road carving, 650HP is too much, and the stiff suspension will not be as happy on B type roads. The DSSV shines on the track.

Most of the handling improvements (on the road at least) of the ZLE can be had by adding solid cradle bushings or the lockout kit on the SS 1LE.

The last time I test drove the ZLE, I could tell right away the additional TQ over my SS 1LE, the issue was traction. Those G3r tires need a lot more heat in them to stick compared to the regular G3's.

IMO the ZLE is track first, for back road driving or very little track time the SS 1LE is the better choice.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:37 PM   #11
Nabush

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
For mountain roads, I think the SS 1LE is better. For back road carving, 650HP is too much, and the stiff suspension will not be as happy on B type roads. The DSSV shines on the track.

Most of the handling improvements (on the road at least) of the ZLE can be had by adding solid cradle bushings or the lockout kit on the SS 1LE.

The last time I test drove the ZLE, I could tell right away the additional TQ over my SS 1LE, the issue was traction. Those G3r tires need a lot more heat in them to stick compared to the regular G3's.

IMO the ZLE is track first, for back road driving or very little track time the SS 1LE is the better choice.
I mean yes you can feel it, but I was prepared to much more. Eveyone makes such a big deal about LT4 power and torque...I did not find such a big difference...Traction was not an issue, but the roads were hot. I checked the tires after the ride, they were already really hot, probably why I did not have traction issues.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:41 PM   #12
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
I mean yes you can feel it, but I was prepared to much more. Eveyone makes such a big deal about LT4 power and torque...I did not find such a big difference...Traction was not an issue, but the roads were hot. I checked the tires after the ride, they were already really hot, probably why I did not have traction issues.
TQ can be deceiving in a NA or supercharged car because of the power delivery and the flat TQ curve.

If you want that lose your stomach feel, go turbo, better yet AWD turbo.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:26 PM   #13
Nabush

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
TQ can be deceiving in a NA or supercharged car because of the power delivery and the flat TQ curve.

If you want that lose your stomach feel, go turbo, better yet AWD turbo.
I much prefer the response of an NA or supercharged engine compared to a Turbo
Old 06-24-2019, 11:45 PM   #14
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
I like the 6th gen chassis a lot, one of the best ever for me, but I don’t think that I would have two of the same car.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote