Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launching Discussion

Phastek Performance

Old 06-13-2016, 08:48 AM   #1
diirk

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
1st time at the drag strip

So just a little background...

Sat night the local road course (Willow Springs) held a grudge night on the front straight. So it's a 1000' strip. I decided to take the car out for some fun. I read through some of the posts on here so I'd have at least an idea of what I was doing there. LOL.

I dropped the rear pressure to 25psi and the fronts up to 40psi on the stock run-flats.

My first run I tried using the launch control in Track mode. I spun the tires in 3 gears and ended up with a 12.6. .336 reaction time. Trap speed was 96mph.

The following three runs were all better, although my best run was only an 11.6 with a .886 reaction time leaving the normal traction control on. No launch control but I was in Track mode. Trap speed was 98mph.

The track is at approx. 2500' and the temps were in the high 70's.

The only consoling fact for my inability to launch well is that I did beat 3 of my 4 competitors, which included a Mustang GT and a Charger 392.

Obviously, I need to settle down on the launch and maintain better control of the throttle and shift a little faster.

I thought I'd share this in case others are interested in trying it out and/or are worried about not being the fastest guy around.

In the end it's all about having some fun and learning something new about your car and yourself.

Any suggestions are welcome and comments appreciated.

Dosclaimer: I am not a drag racer and have no intention of becoming one. My background is road racing and that's my hobby with another car dedicated to it. I did this for fun, embracing the "run what you brung" mentality. Point being, that I won't be installing DR's on the car or anything else likely to make a dramatic difference on the cars straight line performance, other than improving the guy behind the wheel.

1morproject
diirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:57 AM   #2
jdasnt3

Drives: 18 Silverado 1500
It's all about the fun. You have everything right as far as I'm concerned. Practice helps like you stated, but don't concern yourself with RT for now. Not unless you are bracket racing.