Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-08-2015, 12:35 PM   #1
allabtsprt

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS 1LE
CAI-Looking for honest answers

I'm checking to see what brand of cold air intake the general masses of 1LE owners recommend. Looking for honest answers such as:

Is there really a noticeable difference in performance or is it just imagination?

What brand gives the most bang for your buck?

Any problems with the CEL after installation?

I've heard so many conflicting stories from the guys I work with that I thought this would be the place to get some honest answers.

Thanks in advance!
allabtsprt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:40 PM   #2
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Welcome to C5 this subject has been beaten and beaten to death, I would suggest you search the 100's of threads and decide for yourself.

IAT's are key, arguably, CAI Inc and ADM make the best under the hood systems. If you have an option to go over the radiator, I would recommend that over them all.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:51 PM   #3
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by allabtsprt View Post
I'm checking to see what brand of cold air intake the general masses of 1LE owners recommend. Looking for honest answers such as:

Is there really a noticeable difference in performance or is it just imagination?

I've heard so many conflicting stories from the guys I work with that I thought this would be the place to get some honest answers.

Thanks in advance!
Check out the thread below. The first 5 or 6 posts are full of info on this subject. Cold Air Inductions Inc (CAI or CAI Inc) and Roto-Fab are the two most popular. They produce solid, repeatable, documented performance gains. No CEL with either. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me or give us a call

THE Air Intake Thread
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 01:03 PM   #4
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
There is also the Chevy Performance Z/28 CAI kit. Looks great. Performs great. There are a couple of discussion threads on here with that intake as well. One has dyno results from a member on here too.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:11 PM   #5
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
To me, the spreadsheets tell the tale. These systems are fairly expensive (around $400). The average HP gains just do not seem worth it to me. In my opinion, if making a noticeable amount of HP is the goal, you need to save your money and put it into real parts like heads, cams, and a tune, or a supercharger or turbo if forced induction is your thing. Yes these modifications will void ones warranty, where a CAI may not, but then you will really have something. I find this equipment on its own to be a huge waste of money, much like similar systems by K&N were back in the day.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 02:49 PM   #6
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
What works great is the CAI ,with the Apex race scoop and washer relocation set up . You will absolutely notice a bump in power. It is a well proven set up that just plain works.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:57 PM   #7
ZiG

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Running a rotofab on my ss, with the scoop and washer relocation. No issues to date and I do like the change to the sound. Just make sure you buy a quality system and you'll be fine.

2011 2SS/RS LS3
Rotofab CAI/scoop/washer - FE4 conversion - Pfadt ZL swaybars - BMR endlinks - Hurst short shifter - RKSport spoiler
ZiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:21 PM   #8
PapaKlutch

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by allabtsprt View Post

Thanks in advance!
A couple of Z/28 CAI install threads for your reading pleasure.....

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=411545

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405258

Let us know what you decide on.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:09 PM   #9
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by GONIF View Post
What works great is the CAI ,with the Apex race scoop and washer relocation set up . You will absolutely notice a bump in power. It is a well proven set up that just plain works.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:26 PM   #10
LT1Zob

Drives: 23 LT1 / 19 Z06 / after 6 5th gens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick S View Post
There is also the Chevy Performance Z/28 CAI kit. Looks great. Performs great. There are a couple of discussion threads on here with that intake as well. One has dyno results from a member on here too.
I have CAI now and have nothing bad to say about it. It's great and many prefer the sealed, shielded box. I had Roto-Fab on my previous Camaro, nothing bad to report there either. I'm however selling my CAI and installing the Chevy Performance Z28 intake. Not because it's magical and will give me a ton more HP, but because I like the OEM look and feel of it
Old 06-08-2015, 07:59 PM   #11
Chris1SS1LE

Drives: 2014 Camaro Red Hot 1LE NPP Recaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KillerSS View Post
Welcome to C5 this subject has been beaten and beaten to death, I would suggest you search the 100's of threads and decide for yourself.

IAT's are key, arguably, CAI Inc and ADM make the best under the hood systems. If you have an option to go over the radiator, I would recommend that over them all.
Cough Cowcrappy, cough

Did they test at the 'ring, did chevy use them as the supplier for the Z28, me not think so.

OEM Z28 Cold air located at your nearest chevy dealer.
Chris1SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:10 PM   #12
Bizaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Redhot 1LE
best cai is front bumper delete with cai delete youre welcome.
Bizaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:49 PM   #13
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1SS1LE View Post
Cough Cowcrappy, cough

Did they test at the 'ring, did chevy use them as the supplier for the Z28, me not think so.

OEM Z28 Cold air located at your nearest chevy dealer.
The Z28 intake is not a bad intake, definitely better than the stock SS intake, but just because it came from GM doesn't mean it is the best thing out there. Intakes, like most any part designed by the OEM, have to take on considerations that the aftermarket does not. There are many factors at play for the OEMs with pesky things like decibel level and cost trumping max efficiency. GM actually has worked with CAI Inc on the development of performance intake systems that were featured on vehicles at the SEMA Show for the past couple years. The owner of CAI Inc is a former GM engineer.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:01 PM   #14
LT1Zob

Drives: 23 LT1 / 19 Z06 / after 6 5th gens
Well, congrats OP on starting a firestorm LOL. And in case you're wondering what else gets our community worked up? Catch cans ( I have that too, elite engineering from Apex). Welcome to the club OP. Just remember, cold air and catch cans are the "politics and religion" topics of C5