Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-25-2009, 02:01 PM   #29
duffmobile

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS - IOM/IOM
Did the mod and it worked, thanks to all for the info!
L99 with 2.8 LC Kenne Bell, Kooks 1 7/8 headers, Corsa Catback, R2C CAI, 491 RWHP / 500 RWTQ ---- 2010 MY #7539
duffmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:06 PM   #30
shiftz33

Drives: 17 SS Sedan, 04 SSR
I pulled fuse 5 and fuse 20 yesterday afternoon around 1:30 pm. I let it sit overnight and installed them this morning around 9:00 am before my drive into town.

WOW!

I didn't really feel that I had a "slow" L99, but I could definitely tell a difference during this morning's drive.

When my Camaro was delivered to me, the selling dealership "filled the tank". I questioned them on what fuel was used and the two dealership reps stated 87 octane. I stated that 91 octane (I live in CA with 91 being the best available) is required for the V8 Camaro. Then they changed their statement to "I'm sure they used that to fill it up".

I've always put 91 octane fuel in my Camaro, but I wonder if the dealership fill didn't cause mine to run a bit slow too.

I'm looking for a good location to try a 0-to-60 run, but I haven't found one just yet. There are a lot of hills around where I live. There is an extremely steep and long hill I drive up near my house and while driving up that hill I definitely could feel a difference.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:10 PM   #31
DDustiNN

Drives: Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post
Ok. Just talked to them. Kinda funny. She said she got a call from GM technical assistance and first of all, she they 'heard' , that my car was running better. They told her that there was another case here in Alabama that basicaly needed a computer reset. (Hmmmmmmm, wonder who that was? ) And that they were to get my car back in and do the reset, but wondered why my car was running better.

I told her that I pulled the number 5 and 20 fuses and let it sit, yada yada yada, and she started laughing. She said that what I basicaly did is what they were supposed to do according to GM thecnical assistance. (Of course they wouldn't pull the fuses but reset it another way) They have discovered that even a gallon of low OR MID-GRADE fuel will cause this. They have mid-grade fuel at the dealers for PDI purposes and they allway put 3 gallons in new cars when they get them. (Bay Chevrolet)This is what happened. So I asked about my concern of why the computer didn't adjust after 6000 miles of 93 in it. She said "It won't adjust, you have to bring it to the dealer to have it reset". Or of course, pull the fuses. So there seems to be a slowing of information that has still not filtered down to the dealer level. OR, their not taking the info seriously. I gotta admit I am still SHOCKED that it made THAT big of a difference. They have instructed the salespeople and mainenance dept. to NEVER put 'lot fuel' (89 octane) fuel in the Camaros when they come in.

Then she asked if I wanted to bring it in and have it looked at for general purpose. I asked if I needed to and she said that what I did is all they would have done and I would be fine but bring it in if there are any other problems.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I guess we better add this to the "Instructions to the dealer" page for when you order your car.

Great info, thanks!

Also, I think it should be noted in the OP that anyone doing this mod/fix should make sure their tank only has premium gas in it... So if you have any 87/89 octane in it at all, then you should run it down and fill it up with premium first.

Just to make it clear to everyone, ABSOLUTELY NO 87/89 OCTANE GAS!!!

That will be all
DDustiNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:40 PM   #32
Verio
Taking it 1 day at a time

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS Auto
Send a message via MSN to Verio
So, if a general person ever puts regular octane (87) in the car, they would have to have the ECM reset by the dealer?

I'm talking about Joe Shmoe on the street here, who has never been to C5 before. I think this still needs to be addressed by GM. Putting a lower octane fuel in my car shouldn't hinder it until action is performed by me... it should reset after a few good tanks.
Verio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:29 PM   #33
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post
Ok. Just talked to them. Kinda funny. She said she got a call from GM technical assistance and first of all, she they 'heard' , that my car was running better. They told her that there was another case here in Alabama that basicaly needed a computer reset. (Hmmmmmmm, wonder who that was? ) And that they were to get my car back in and do the reset, but wondered why my car was running better.

I told her that I pulled the number 5 and 20 fuses and let it sit, yada yada yada, and she started laughing. She said that what I basicaly did is what they were supposed to do according to GM thecnical assistance. (Of course they wouldn't pull the fuses but reset it another way) They have discovered that even a gallon of low OR MID-GRADE fuel will cause this. They have mid-grade fuel at the dealers for PDI purposes and they allway put 3 gallons in new cars when they get them. (Bay Chevrolet)This is what happened. So I asked about my concern of why the computer didn't adjust after 6000 miles of 93 in it. She said "It won't adjust, you have to bring it to the dealer to have it reset". Or of course, pull the fuses. So there seems to be a slowing of information that has still not filtered down to the dealer level. OR, their not taking the info seriously. I gotta admit I am still SHOCKED that it made THAT big of a difference. They have instructed the salespeople and mainenance dept. to NEVER put 'lot fuel' (89 octane) fuel in the Camaros when they come in.

Then she asked if I wanted to bring it in and have it looked at for general purpose. I asked if I needed to and she said that what I did is all they would have done and I would be fine but bring it in if there are any other problems.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I guess we better add this to the "Instructions to the dealer" page for when you order your car.

Well, at least we have some indirect confirmation that this is the right way to do it and there is no real risk...
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:33 PM   #34
MJ

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Hmmm... wonder if the LS3's are impacted by this too?
MJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:43 PM   #35
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
I'll try it on my LS3 tonight! With my pants on of course...
Old 08-25-2009, 03:47 PM   #36
Dakota Kid

Drives: 2010 2SS/RJT/L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
I'll try it on my LS3 tonight! With my pants on of course...
Yeah dude! The guys over on www.challengertalk.com have a thread with your pic...making fun of Camaro owners.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:54 PM   #37
Verio
Taking it 1 day at a time

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS Auto
Send a message via MSN to Verio
Well... pulled the fuses on mine since I know the dealer through 87 in it. Gunna let it sit for about 3-4 hours, and give it a try tonight.
Verio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:02 PM   #38
DDustiNN

Drives: Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Kid View Post
Yeah dude! The guys over on www.challengertalk.com have a thread with your pic...making fun of Camaro owners.
Wow, the maturity level there is very high school (or even junior high). At least, the comments I could find after wading through the billion advertisements plastered all over the page...
DDustiNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:04 PM   #39
Dakota Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDustiNN View Post
Wow, the maturity level there is very high school (or even junior high). At least, the comments I could find after wading through the billion advertisements plastered all over the page...
Amen to that. That is the single WORST automotive forum I have visited.....period.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:06 PM   #40
TitanTerry

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2LT, RS, ABM
I read most of these post but did not see a reference to the V6. Is 87 ok for it or should I up my octane?

~ It's not a car...
~ IT'S A CAMARO!
~

Ordered: 07/02/09
HOME - 9/25/09
TitanTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:07 PM   #41
Dakota Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanTerry View Post
I read most of these post but did not see a reference to the V6. Is 87 ok for it or should I up my octane?
87 is fine for the V6.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:08 PM   #42
Rikarus
I can't tpye!

Drives: 2010 RS/SS Victory Red
Curious to see hwat this does fo rthe LS3 keep us posted!
Rikarus is offline   Reply With Quote