Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 11-01-2015, 09:14 PM   #1
BLCKJACK

Drives: 2015 BLCK 2SS/RS 1LE
Chevy Performance Z/28 Rear Diff Cooler on a 1LE?

Has anyone with a 1LE installed the Chevy Performance Z/28 Rear Diff Cooler? I am thinking about installing the cooler on my 1LE and wondering what improvements I may see. I like the idea that it may be covered by my warranty if I have dealer install it. Cooler transmission fluid and reduced weight for the track sounds good to me but please advise if you have installed.
BLCKJACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 10:57 PM   #2
PapaKlutch

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS/1LE
YenkoStyle has one. He ordered his 2015 1LE with it and it was installed at the dealer prior to delivery. You might shoot him a note.

Last edited by PapaKlutch; 11-01-2015 at 10:58 PM. Reason: typo
PapaKlutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:18 AM   #3
yenkostyle

Drives: 2015 1LE
Op I sent you a pm
yenkostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:48 PM   #4
PwrCrusr

Drives: 2014 1LE
Don't leave the rest of us hanging dude! Throw that info up here for us too, please.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:49 PM   #5
Synner

Drives: cars
It neither cools your transmission fluid nor does it reduce weight. It adds weight and increases heat being dealt with by your transmission. It lowers diff temps, you won't see any change other than helping your posi live which in a 1LE is the same crappy clutch type as an SS.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:52 PM   #6
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
It neither cools your transmission fluid nor does it reduce weight. It lowers diff temps, you won't see any change other than helping your posi live which in a 1LE is the same crappy clutch type as an SS.
+1, though I don't think anything can help that posi diff

I just installed it last week asking with Eston TruTrac. The car needs a better diff much more than the cooler itself. You need to remove the pumpkin to install the cooler. You might as well change the diff, too, which cost me $510 shipped. The cooler kit was also about $500.
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:18 AM   #7
yenkostyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by PwrCrusr View Post
Don't leave the rest of us hanging dude! Throw that info up here for us too, please.
The OP sent me a pm so I sent one back.Here is what i wrote:

I do have the cooler.I added it when I made my order through Becky at rodgers chevy. It was installed at the dealer prior to delivery of the car to me. It is under warranty as well

As far as any difference it makes: I really can't answer that yet. I just finished my first track day but ambient Temps were in the mid 50*-lower 60* so I am sure not enough to really tell.

Once installed there ido have the cooler.I added it when I made my order through Becky at rodgers chevy. It was installed at the dealer prior to delivery of the car to me. It is under warranty so that is always a plus.

As far as any difference it makes: I really can't answer that yet. I just finished my first track day but ambient Temps were in the mid 50*-lower 60* so I am sure not enough to really tell.

Once installed there is an audible gurgling noise when the car is cold, which, is unsettling if you don't know it's supposed to be there.

Anyway that's about all I can report for now. I hope it helps.

Last edited by yenkostyle; 11-03-2015 at 10:03 AM.
Old 11-03-2015, 02:47 AM   #8
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by yenkostyle View Post
The OP sent me a pm so I sent one back.Here is what i wrote:

I do have the cooler.I added it when I made my order through Becky at rodgers chevy. It was installed at the dealer prior to delivery of the car to me. It is under warranty as well

Once installed there ido have the cooler.I added it when I made my order through Becky at rodgers chevy. It was installed at the dealer prior to delivery of the car to me. It is under warranty so that is always a plus.

Once installed there is an audible gurgling noise when the car is cold, which, is unsettling if you don't know it's supposed to be there. It's pretty loud if you don't have

Anyway that's about all I can report for now. I hope it helps.
Strange; I have no noise whatsoever. Did the dealer check the fluid level after running the car a little bit? Transmission fluid has to travel all the new lines and the heat exchanger inside the differential lid. If they dd not check again after running for a bit, you might be low on transmission fluid.

After about 10 track days, my posi unit became an 'open differential'. If yours last longer, you will have your proof that it works. Now that I have helical type, mine will keep working regardless of temps, etc., until it explodes (if it ever), which is good; who doesn't love consistency, especially for a track car
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:07 AM   #9
yenkostyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by X25 View Post
Strange; I have no noise whatsoever. Did the dealer check the fluid level after running the car a little bit? Transmission fluid has to travel all the new lines and the heat exchanger inside the differential lid. If they dd not check again after running for a bit, you might be low on transmission fluid.

After about 10 track days, my posi unit became an 'open differential'. If yours last longer, you will have your proof that it works. Now that I have helical type, mine will keep working regardless of temps, etc., until it explodes (if it ever), which is good; who doesn't love consistency, especially for a track car
I only have noise on colder days (close to when I should not be driving on the tires) I checked the fluid less then a week ago and it was fine, not sure what gives with the noise then?????

I'll be moving to FL here soon and plan on running it quite a bit there. I figured if I can make this diff last more then a dozen track days then the cooler works, time will tell and I will for sure let everyone know how and if it works out.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:21 PM   #10
Eurorcr

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
Before I took delivery of my car I installed a z28 diff cooler and Trutrac in my 1LE. I never had the chance to test it on a track as my car only has 1200 miles on it and I am in the process of installing a full ZL1 cradle to handle the new power of the supercharger. I'll be selling my factory 1LE cradle along with the installed Trutrac and z28 diff cooler this winter if anybody is interested.
Old 11-08-2015, 01:42 PM   #11
BLCKJACK

Drives: 2015 BLCK 2SS/RS 1LE
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by yenkostyle View Post
I only have noise on colder days (close to when I should not be driving on the tires) I checked the fluid less then a week ago and it was fine, not sure what gives with the noise then?????

I'll be moving to FL here soon and plan on running it quite a bit there. I figured if I can make this diff last more then a dozen track days then the cooler works, time will tell and I will for sure let everyone know how and if it works out.
Thanks to all who posted a response to my question. Sounds like I am better off waiting until I get a whole new upgraded differential and get it with the cooler all at once. I have only been drag racing my 1LE, never been on a road course, I might be looking at the ZL1 HD Driveline kit if I decide to frequently run on that type of course. Thanks again for your guys inputs.
2015 Black 1LE, COMP 54-454-11 Camshaft, Johnson short travel lifters, BTR .660 dual vlv springs, COMP Max-Lift BSR Shaft Rockers, CAI intake, APEX racing scoop/washer reloc kit, FAST 102 LSXR intake ported by Vengeance Racing, Nick Williams 102mm TB, GM Perf CNC ported heads, Stainless Power Long Tube headers, Fluidampr 25% underdrive balancer, Elite E2 catch can, dynotuned by DTP Racing 525 RWHP/495 TQ, Ghosted Oracle sidemarkers
BLCKJACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 08:07 PM   #12
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurorcr View Post
Before I took delivery of my car I installed a z28 diff cooler and Trutrac in my 1LE. I never had the chance to test it on a track as my car only has 1200 miles on it and I am in the process of installing a full ZL1 cradle to handle the new power of the supercharger. I'll be selling my factory 1LE cradle along with the installed Trutrac and z28 diff cooler this winter if anybody is interested.

I also just installed a Trutrac because my diff was open as well ....by far one of the best mods I have done to the car.

AND....I can vouch 100% for Eurorcr and the parts he will be selling...I am pretty sure I will be helping him remove the cradle from the car . Note that awesome AGM 2013 in his profile pic looks familiar
Old 11-14-2015, 08:52 PM   #13
AG1LE

Drives: '14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
AND....I can vouch 100% for Eurorcr and the parts he will be selling...
...keeping an eye out for this...
AG1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 09:07 PM   #14
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
It neither cools your transmission fluid nor does it reduce weight. It adds weight and increases heat being dealt with by your transmission. It lowers diff temps, you won't see any change other than helping your posi live which in a 1LE is the same crappy clutch type as an SS.
I thought the 1LE has a Torsen Diff?
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote