Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-16-2018, 04:48 PM   #15
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by stt816 View Post
thanks everyone ..I guess the only down side would be 2 things let me know what you think..

1. It would already be 8-10 years old (looking for a 2008+ for ls3 engine) the look while it could be timeless do you think it would look really dated once c8 corvettes come out?

2. Not good in the snow. I live in Connecticut and I've been doing fine with my ss with all seasons. I have a volvo beater that I could use so I guess it's not the end of the world.
1. In your first post you said that you want the Grand Sport to get the Z06 body. That didn't arrive until 2010 MY

2. Use the Volvo when it snows
'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:16 PM   #16
zr1chris

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I just feel like the C6 Grand Sports are over priced for what they are. I got my brand new 1LE for roughly the same price. It sounds and handles way better imo. Looks are pretty close. The thing that made it most difficult looking away from the GS was giving up the targa top. But now that I've made the purchase I have no doubt I made the right choice. There is a ton more tech in the 1LE to go with the other things mentioned plus there is nothing like getting in and having that new car smell it you in the face when you get in.
zr1chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:10 PM   #17
GatorGreg

Drives: '14 Blue Ray ("Suite Madame Blue")
Quote:
thanks everyone ..I guess the only down side would be 2 things let me know what you think..

1. It would already be 8-10 years old (looking for a 2008+ for ls3 engine) the look while it could be timeless do you think it would look really dated once c8 corvettes come out?

2. Not good in the snow. I live in Connecticut and I've been doing fine with my ss with all seasons. I have a volvo beater that I could use so I guess it's not the end of the world.
Have you tried parking your Camaro next to the Corvette? I had a regular C6 Vette park next to me a few weeks ago and I honestly thought my car looked waaaaaaay cooler, IMO the Vette already looked dated and skinny compared to my Camaro. Granted, that was not one of the wide-bodied models parked next to me but I don’t think it would have made that much of a difference. I’m no Vette hater (I had a C4 vert for many years) but to me as soon as the C7 came out the C6 immediately looked dated and the C5 looked ancient - when the C8 comes out the C7 will immediately look dated and the C6 will look ancient. For some reason the fifth gen Camaro’s retro-futuristic design looks almost timeless to me, still seems fresh even though it came out 9 years ago. In addition, the C6 interior is worse than the Camaro IMO. Just my 2 cents.
GatorGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:05 PM   #18
67 to 91 to 13

Drives: 2013 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
I wouldnt drive a vette in the snow!!!
Old 07-16-2018, 09:10 PM   #19
stt816

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorGreg View Post
Have you tried parking your Camaro next to the Corvette? I had a regular C6 Vette park next to me a few weeks ago and I honestly thought my car looked waaaaaaay cooler, IMO the Vette already looked dated and skinny compared to my Camaro. Granted, that was not one of the wide-bodied models parked next to me but I don’t think it would have made that much of a difference. I’m no Vette hater (I had a C4 vert for many years) but to me as soon as the C7 came out the C6 immediately looked dated and the C5 looked ancient - when the C8 comes out the C7 will immediately look dated and the C6 will look ancient. For some reason the fifth gen Camaro’s retro-futuristic design looks almost timeless to me, still seems fresh even though it came out 9 years ago. In addition, the C6 interior is worse than the Camaro IMO. Just my 2 cents.

The regular C6 compared to the grand sport or z06 just in looks is huge. They both have wide bodies and look much better then the base...did you see my original black pic? Hard to say that looks ancient
Pfadt Race Engineering 1.25" Lowering Springs| Pfadt Spec Performance Street Alignment|ZL1 Front Bumper Conversion|ZL1 20x9 Rims|Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus 275/40R20Y Square Setup||Footwell Lighting|G2 Gold Painted Brake Calipers
Stainless Power Long Tube Headers|Cold Air Inductions Cold Air Intake|VMAX CNC Spiral Ported Throttle Body|Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback| Vitesse Throttle Controller
--Jannetty Racing Enterprises Dyno Tuned|408 RWHP
stt816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:33 PM   #20
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
You asked for opinions. It looks dated.
Not enough hp.
No warranty, getting older, things break.

Did you buy it yet?
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:54 PM   #21
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Have you asked your insurance agent what the cost would be on a 'vette?
That's what keeps most young people from driving them.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:58 AM   #22
GatorGreg

Drives: '14 Blue Ray ("Suite Madame Blue")
Quote:
The regular C6 compared to the grand sport or z06 just in looks is huge. They both have wide bodies and look much better then the base...did you see my original black pic? Hard to say that looks ancient
Yeah the wider bodies definitely help, but I think the GS still has 18” wheels in front and 19” wheels in the back unless you get an upgraded wheel package? I know they’re very wide wheels/tires and look cool from the rear but from the side they look rather small, kind of like a non-RS/SS Camaro equipped with only 18 or 19’s. I didn’t say the C6 looks ancient now. What I said is that IMO the C6 looked dated now and the C5 looked ancient as soon as the C7 came out. Once the C8 comes out, then the C7 will probably look dated, the C6 will look ancient, and the C5 will look archaic. This is all just my opinion obviously and I’m sure you would enjoy that car - would have to be a nice improvement performance wise.
GatorGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:32 AM   #23
stt816

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr1chris View Post
I just feel like the C6 Grand Sports are over priced for what they are. I got my brand new 1LE for roughly the same price. It sounds and handles way better imo. Looks are pretty close. The thing that made it most difficult looking away from the GS was giving up the targa top. But now that I've made the purchase I have no doubt I made the right choice. There is a ton more tech in the 1LE to go with the other things mentioned plus there is nothing like getting in and having that new car smell it you in the face when you get in.

I'm looking at grand sports in the 30-32k range. I'm sure 1le is over 50k
Pfadt Race Engineering 1.25" Lowering Springs| Pfadt Spec Performance Street Alignment|ZL1 Front Bumper Conversion|ZL1 20x9 Rims|Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus 275/40R20Y Square Setup||Footwell Lighting|G2 Gold Painted Brake Calipers
Stainless Power Long Tube Headers|Cold Air Inductions Cold Air Intake|VMAX CNC Spiral Ported Throttle Body|Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback| Vitesse Throttle Controller
Old 07-17-2018, 04:41 AM   #24
stt816

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
You asked for opinions. It looks dated.
Not enough hp.
No warranty, getting older, things break.

Did you buy it yet?
I didn't buy it yet. I've heard they're really reliable and it feels plenty fast to me.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:41 AM   #25
stt816

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
Have you asked your insurance agent what the cost would be on a 'vette?
That's what keeps most young people from driving them.
that's a good tip thanks
Old 07-17-2018, 05:54 AM   #26
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
If you don't have a dedicated, reliable DD, stick with what you have. Putting snow tires on a Corvette? You're young and you'll have lots of time to upgrade.
My DD is a '17 Cruze RS. Before that, I had a '13 Cruze RS, etc., etc..
I'm 37, bought my '11 SS convertible new and this past weekend, I traded for a '17 GS. Having the SS for 7 years was fun, but I ran out mods to buy and wanted to start another build.
Be smart about this!
Attached Images

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:02 AM   #27
stt816

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
If you don't have a dedicated, reliable DD, stick with what you have. Putting snow tires on a Corvette? You're young and you'll have lots of time to upgrade.
My DD is a '17 Cruze RS. Before that, I had a '13 Cruze RS, etc., etc..
I'm 37, bought my '11 SS convertible new and this past weekend, I traded for a '17 GS. Having the SS for 7 years was fun, but I ran out mods to buy and wanted to start another build.
Be smart about this!
My snow car would be a Volvo..I wouldn't put snow tires on the corvette

Last edited by stt816; 07-17-2018 at 06:13 AM.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:18 AM   #28
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
My snow car would be a Volvo..I wouldn't put snow tires on the corvette
If the Volvo is reliable and you feel comfortable with the deal, by all means...go for it. Keep in mind, you'll potentially be buying an older vehicle than you already have in the '12 Camaro.

Good luck!

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote