Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Phastek Performance

Old 11-02-2015, 01:29 PM   #1
G-10

Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro 2SS
IO6: Radio With Navigation

All the info I've read says this 2SS option is AM FM infotainment & connectivity 9 speaker Bose...but there is no mention of CD playing capability. Anyone know? My wife has a huge collection of CD's.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:30 PM   #2
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
No CD player in any '16 Camaro...
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:34 PM   #3
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Look into the availability of a glove box mounted CD player accessory. It's available in the ATS. Here is a screenshot from the build page:

Name:  screen shot.gif
Views: 962
Size:  100.2 KB
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:38 PM   #4
Imp
Dodges all the cones

Drives: Soon
Quote:
The USB port can play both lower and upper case .mp3, .wma, .ogg, and .wav files stored on a USB storage device.
Burn CDs to computer using one of the above formats (.mp3 best).

Copy files from Computer to USB memory stick.

Plug USB memory stick (which holds 200+ CDs and is the size of your pinkie) into USB port and never have to swap out a CD ever, ever, ever, EVER again.... priceless.

--kC
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:47 PM   #5
fastball
Banned

The other option, and the one that I think I'm gonna do, is use your old portable CD player if you still have one and buy a headphone to USB audio cable for like 3 bucks. Connect it to the headphone output of the portable CD player, and keep it tucked inside the arm rest.

I still have my 1995 Panasonic portable CD player with 20 second anti-skip memory from my freshman year of college. Just tried it the other day for the first time in years. Still works like new.

Who'd a thought I'd need it again? Everything old is new again lol
Old 11-02-2015, 01:57 PM   #6
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
You have apple and android car play, bluetooth, wireless charging, wifi in 2SS. You don't need a CD player lol. I use google music/spotify and you can make your own custom playlists on them.
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 02:14 PM   #7
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
The issue with Pandora, Spotify, etc is sound quality. Compressed files sound like crap and have no bottom end or top end. I was annoyed there was no CD player at first, but since this is not going to be my DD I am okay with making some non-compressed mp3 filled flash drives...
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 02:28 PM   #8
fastball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr6 View Post
You have apple and android car play, bluetooth, wireless charging, wifi in 2SS. You don't need a CD player lol. I use google music/spotify and you can make your own custom playlists on them.
While I have some of my collection on my iPhone, the more I think about hassling with putting more and more on turns me back to simply grabbing my CD collection in my binder and just going, like I used to do 15 years ago.

Can you simply play any random song you want on google music or spotify without spending time making lists?

I'm honestly too lazy to do any more than find that disc I know where it's at that has the song or band I want to hear, flip to it quickly, pull it out, pop it in, and play it.

Mark my words - the more car companies eliminate CD players from their cars, the more portable CD players will come back in style.... almost by necessity lol! There may be a lot of Gen Y and millennial kiddos who don't know what the heck a CD is, but there's twice as many Gen Xer's and baby boomers who aren't giving up their CDs.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:33 PM   #9
neal_zack

Drives: 2016 camaro ss
Get a iPod CDs are yesterday's technology.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:45 PM   #10
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
I can't even remember the last time I used a CD in a car.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:47 PM   #11
BahamaTodd

Drives: 08 Accord V6/M6 / 04 Canyon Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
The other option, and the one that I think I'm gonna do, is use your old portable CD player if you still have one and buy a headphone to USB audio cable for like 3 bucks. Connect it to the headphone output of the portable CD player, and keep it tucked inside the arm rest.

I still have my 1995 Panasonic portable CD player with 20 second anti-skip memory from my freshman year of college. Just tried it the other day for the first time in years. Still works like new.

Who'd a thought I'd need it again? Everything old is new again lol
You're not going to fit a CD player in the center console of the 6th gen. Its very shallow and not very wide. My iphone 6S+ barely fit.
BahamaTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 02:59 PM   #12
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
While I have some of my collection on my iPhone, the more I think about hassling with putting more and more on turns me back to simply grabbing my CD collection in my binder and just going, like I used to do 15 years ago.

Can you simply play any random song you want on google music or spotify without spending time making lists?

I'm honestly too lazy to do any more than find that disc I know where it's at that has the song or band I want to hear, flip to it quickly, pull it out, pop it in, and play it.

Mark my words - the more car companies eliminate CD players from their cars, the more portable CD players will come back in style.... almost by necessity lol! There may be a lot of Gen Y and millennial kiddos who don't know what the heck a CD is, but there's twice as many Gen Xer's and baby boomers who aren't giving up their CDs.
I do know where you are coming from, I do not blame you nor am I telling you that you are ancient! Same thing manual vs auto.... (MANUAL FTW!) Sadly, the newer technology in vehicles becomes the more obsolete other things become. I remember using 8 bit tracks, big floppy discs and now we have micro sd cards with 1000 times more storage and the size smaller than my fingernails!

Another thing I forgot to add is SiriusXM that we have access to as well. Satalite radio but if you don't want to pay, you won't have access to it after our trail which can be anywhere near 3 months to 12 months (you can haggle the living hell out of them to resub, I ended up paying $3.50 per month instead of the 8-9 bucks a month they wanted).

Google music, pandora, iheartradio, spotify, XM all have already premade radio stations that you just hit play with. Our cars actually come BUILT IN with the pandora radio so it is a direct steam as well. You can still get on a PC and make a custom playlist as well, and for the premade stations you do get the ability to like or dislike sounds so if you don't like a song it will NOT pop up again and make you want to shoot the speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMMIT WHITE SS View Post
The issue with Pandora, Spotify, etc is sound quality. Compressed files sound like crap and have no bottom end or top end. I was annoyed there was no CD player at first, but since this is not going to be my DD I am okay with making some non-compressed mp3 filled flash drives...
I never ever had a single issue with sound quality in my vehicles. I had a factory rockford fosgate 710 watt 9 speaking with a 10' sub in the trunk system. No issues on the c7 bose system either. Connected via bluetooth and streaming via my data on the phone, it was great sounding. Keep in mind though, you might be an audiophile where as I am so not. Turbo with blow off valve was my true radio and now the LT1 will while music will be in the "background".
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 03:07 PM   #13
BahamaTodd

Drives: 08 Accord V6/M6 / 04 Canyon Z71
With voice activated music selection, navigating a digital collection is also very easy.
BahamaTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 03:51 PM   #14
fastball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by neal_zack View Post
Get a iPod CDs are yesterday's technology.
Like I said, I have an iPhone 5s. Putting all my CDs on it is a time consuming drag. And at 64 Gb it's not big enough for every single one of my CDs so I'm done screwing with it. I've about 200 songs on it now. I have about 300 CDs. You can do the math, and understand why it's a time consuming drag to go through iTunes with each disc.

I mean, if I could put the disc in and my computer read the disc and iTunes load it on my phone all within about 5 seconds, I'd probably do it.

I have my CDs in a soft page mega case I can carry almost all of them with me.

I'm fine with that. Been doing it since the 90s. Call me old and stubborn. I'm 38 for Christ sake..... can't be that old!