Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

AWE Tuning

Old 05-25-2015, 11:00 PM   #1
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Lack of Details on Infotainment System

I've noticed that in pouring over the details of the 6th gen Camaro, very little has actually been stated so far about the infotainment system. There's been no mention of some of the more cutting-edge technologies, such as:
  • Apple CarPlay support (wired and wireless)
  • Android Auto Support
  • Bluetooth 4.0 Support
  • USB Connector type — are we going to get the new, reversible, USB-C spec? Seems like it would make life easier.
  • General UI design — during the live reveal, the infotainment screens were displaying solid colors, I believe, so this may not yet be finalized.

I can't help but notice that the UI of the center console looks very different from the UI of the Driver Information Center / Gauge Cluster. Do you think this is a final design or a place holder? I'm hoping it isn't final because, frankly, the icons look like they were created in 5 minutes or less by a person new to Adobe Photoshop. The UI also makes heavy use of tacky gloss effects, when modern UI designs are trending toward flat designs.

I have sort of mixed feelings. Cars are notorious for infotainment systems that feel like 5 year old smart phones, even when new. But they did a pretty good job with the gauge cluster, which we did see working live in real-time during the reveal. So I'm hoping this signifies that the gauge cluster is simply much further ahead in terms of development at this point because it was a more critical component of the driving experience, but the software team still needs to develop the interface of the infotainment system itself.

Comments?
RenegadeXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:04 PM   #2
Dfault

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
That looks like the standard my link UI you see in other Chevy models. The one in current Camaros are unique to the Camaro which is why it's so slow and shitty.
Dfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:12 PM   #3
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
What's the "projection" for...turn by turn nav on HUD?

My research is no...this is for smartphones. I bet u get what u ask for OP.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:17 PM   #4
addisonpeterson
Bad Camaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT Convertible RS
After poring over every detail of the Camaro they haven't really announced anything. They showed you how the car looks, the horsepower, and weight. They haven't detailed the price, options, 0-60, official weight figures, what "customization" features will be offered, etc...
addisonpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:18 PM   #5
RenegadeXR

I hope the 2016 Camaro has MyLink theming. Apparently this is only an option on some of Chevy's higher-end models, but some of the themes aren't as horrible looking.

I googled "2015 Camaro MyLink" and this came up. I almost puked. Looks like a debug interface that developers would use to test functionality before actually calling in the UI / interior design team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
What's the "projection" for...turn by turn nav on HUD?
Good question. I searched for this and found no real answer, at least in existing vehicles equipped with MyLink.

Edit: Yeah, it's related to smart phone "projection." Most commonly, this term refers to placing your smart phone on the dashboard to reflect information on the windshield. So I guess there will be a spot near the built-in HUD projector to place your phone to see the info side by side?
Quote:
• Available wireless phone charging and next-generation Chevrolet MyLink with new smartphone projection

Last edited by RenegadeXR; 05-25-2015 at 11:35 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:24 PM   #6
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeXR View Post
I hope the 2016 Camaro has MyLink theming. Apparently this is only an option on some of Chevy's higher-end models, but some of the themes aren't as horrible looking.

I googled "2015 Camaro MyLink" and this came up. I almost puked. Looks like a debug interface that developers would use to test functionality before actually calling in the UI / interior design

Good question. I searched for this and found no real answer, at least in existing vehicles equipped with MyLink.
I found some...seems like a smartphone integration of some sort.
"At the same time, General Motors is also working with Apple and Google to bring CarPlay and Android Auto to its vehicles. The technologies will project the content of the phone to the infotainment screen, thereby resembling the user interface of the smartphone/tablet device brought into the car by the driver or passengers."
Old 05-26-2015, 12:09 AM   #7
SIM Curly

Drives: Silver 1LT 2011 camaro
That pandora button should be Spotify instead
Old 05-26-2015, 02:00 AM   #8
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by addisonpeterson View Post
After poring over every detail of the Camaro they haven't really announced anything. They showed you how the car looks, the horsepower, and weight. They haven't detailed the price, options, 0-60, official weight figures, what "customization" features will be offered, etc...
Yeah because they just revealed the car, its not even a finished product yet. The information you are looking for won't be available until a month or two before the car goes on sale. Patience grasshopper.
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:20 AM   #9
RenegadeXR

I found the original article that the one DenverTaco cited was based off of. It's from September 2014 and a person from GM used the term "project" to describe basically showing the Apple CarPlay / Android Auto interface on the MyLink screen:

http://www.carscoops.com/2014/09/gm-...apple-and.html

Quote:
While we are committed to working with Apple and Google to implement their respective phone projection systems, this won't be customers' only option for information and entertainment services within the vehicle.
The article also does mention that MyLink will eventually have its own app store, so there's hope for things like Spotify. It all boils down to whether developers want to create anything for the platform directly or just want to piggyback over Apple CarPlay / Android Auto. Part of what could affect this would be, for example, what underlying OS MyLink will use and whether it requires a significant amount of resources to create a dedicated app for it.

But anyway, looks like the image in my original post is some placeholder showing the now-current MyLink in the 2016 Camaro. The final product isn't yet known, but it'll be a newer generation model. Interface may or may not look the same. Who honestly knows?
Old 05-26-2015, 07:40 AM   #10
mt3130

Drives: Coupeless :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
I found some...seems like a smartphone integration of some sort.
"At the same time, General Motors is also working with Apple and Google to bring CarPlay and Android Auto to its vehicles. The technologies will project the content of the phone to the infotainment screen, thereby resembling the user interface of the smartphone/tablet device brought into the car by the driver or passengers."
This is what it does. If you want to see how it works, look up MirrorLink, which is a feature that has been available on aftermarket radios for a couple years at this point.

The way it was designed to work is to allow things such as Waze, navigation, maps, and other apps that may be useful while driving from your phone to be shown on the infotainment system. However, people have hacked this feature to allow full mirroring of your smartphone on the head unit, so you can play games, text, surf the internet, etc.
mt3130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:52 AM   #11
BahamaTodd

Drives: 08 Accord V6/M6 / 04 Canyon Z71
Hyundai is the first to introduce Android auto in the 2016 Sonata. The car comes with its own built in system, but you have the option to have it reflashed with Android auto. 2015 Sonata owners also have the option to bring in their cars to have them reflashed with Android auto.

When Apple comes into play. I assume this is how it will all work. Just have your system flashed for the one you want.
BahamaTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:34 AM   #12
94turbolsx

Drives: 2001 Camaro SS
I have been using Apple Carplay for a 6 months now and will be pretty disappointed if it Chevy does not include this in the latest MyLink. It operates in a layer on top of the OE UI and is completely invisible when not being used. You can even switch back to the OE UI while using functions in Carplay. Its all rather seemless. Given that, there is no reason to exclude Carplay and Android Auto both in the newest MyLink UI.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:02 PM   #13
RenegadeXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BahamaTodd View Post
Hyundai is the first to introduce Android auto in the 2016 Sonata. The car comes with its own built in system, but you have the option to have it reflashed with Android auto. 2015 Sonata owners also have the option to bring in their cars to have them reflashed with Android auto.

When Apple comes into play. I assume this is how it will all work. Just have your system flashed for the one you want.
I don't think this is how it works. You're not having the infotainment system reprogrammed. Think of it like hooking up a DVR or DVD player to your TV. The TV still has its own interface for changing channels, managing settings, etc, but the DVR or DVD player has its own interface, which is shown when the TV changes inputs.

Basically, the navigation system is "switching inputs" to project your phones interface on the screen, but reformatted in a way that's easier to use while driving. The icons are bigger, and features like SMS / text messaging are totally redesigned to avoid distracting drivers, often stripping the ability to type responses and only allowing dictation.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:13 PM   #14
Thebeezwax

Drives: Has 4 wheels
this is the new version of Mylink that is currently in the Vet, Tahoe, Suburban and Silverado
Thebeezwax is offline   Reply With Quote