Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-29-2017, 01:08 AM   #15
626CammedSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Would you guys recommend BC racing coil overs i was leaning towards those, i was just looking for a upgrade to my drop springs hoping to get a little more ride comfort, i dont know if this happens to alot of camaros but i looked up on the forum and alot of people are experiencing noise coming from the front suspension when they go over bumps slow or like uneven roads sort of like a loose suspension sound it mostly comes from the passenger side idk if this only happens with lowering springs
626CammedSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 07:49 AM   #16
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
From what I've read on this forum it seems that noise typically - like almost every time - comes from either improper install or not fully tightening nuts and bolts.

I get a bit of a clunking noise when I go almost full steering lock, like when coming out of my driveway - haven't noticed the noise any other time but that could be because the exhaust is louder when driving - but I'm 99% sure it is the camber/caster plates making the noise and not the springs - the only reason I'm not 100% sure is because I haven't actually confirmed this, but only because I'm so sure it's the plates and not the springs as the plates have a bit of a groove dug into them from the top nuts of the shock.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about any innate noises happening due to springs/coil-overs. I have springs at the moment but I bought them mainly to satisfy my needs until a have some more money to spend on coil-overs, and was thinking of going with BC Racing as well based on what I've read about them.
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 03:55 PM   #17
Mike_G

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I have tried quite a few suspension set up on the 5th gen. I ran BMR drop springs with Koni Yellows. Ride was good and would recommend this if you don't need height adjustment. I thought these rode better than BC racing. I have also tried LG motorsports and those were complete garbage.

Next option I tried that was recommended a few posts back was the Ridetech HQ. Probably best bang fior the buck, ride quality was decent, could go from pretty soft to really stiff and the shocks seemed to handle this pretty well, no bottoming out and good handling.

Last set I tried was Detroit Speed and these were far better as far as overall feel compared to the others. Seemed like any setting they were extremely smooth.

Other suspension mods I had in place for all these changes were BMR sways, BMR rear trailing and toe arms along with poly bushings. Don't know if shocks/ springs would have felt any different between brands without these other mods.

Use to have
2010 Camaro SS - ECS SC 1500, Kooks LTH + HFC, Corsa, CTS-V brakes, Detroit Speed Coilovers, BMR sways (FE4 conversion), DSE endlinks, BMR toe rods and trailing arms, Forgestar F14's
Mike_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 05:27 PM   #18
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 626CammedSS View Post
Would you guys recommend BC racing coil overs i was leaning towards those, i was just looking for a upgrade to my drop springs hoping to get a little more ride comfort, i dont know if this happens to alot of camaros but i looked up on the forum and alot of people are experiencing noise coming from the front suspension when they go over bumps slow or like uneven roads sort of like a loose suspension sound it mostly comes from the passenger side idk if this only happens with lowering springs
I went with the BC Racing ER series because it gave me rebound and damping adjustment. Researched them before making the decision, and have been happy since the install. have about 3000 miles on them, and no issues. Install was easy, the only problem I ran into is, though they show brackets for the external rez's on the rear, they do not offer those for the 5th Gens. Pissed me off, and after going round and round with them, I found a suitable mounting location on the back of the fender skirt. They said they install longer stainless hoses on the rear just for that purpose.

Other than that, all good....
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:38 PM   #19
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
I have tried quite a few suspension set up on the 5th gen. I ran BMR drop springs with Koni Yellows. Ride was good and would recommend this if you don't need height adjustment. I thought these rode better than BC racing. I have also tried LG motorsports and those were complete garbage.

Next option I tried that was recommended a few posts back was the Ridetech HQ. Probably best bang fior the buck, ride quality was decent, could go from pretty soft to really stiff and the shocks seemed to handle this pretty well, no bottoming out and good handling.

Last set I tried was Detroit Speed and these were far better as far as overall feel compared to the others. Seemed like any setting they were extremely smooth.

Other suspension mods I had in place for all these changes were BMR sways, BMR rear trailing and toe arms along with poly bushings. Don't know if shocks/ springs would have felt any different between brands without these other mods.
what about the BC coils overs did you not like, did they feel too weak for the Camaro?.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:39 PM   #20
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
OP you should also try to get KW V3s or look at H&R street coil overs.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:41 AM   #21
626CammedSS

So the Detroit Speed gave you an overall smoother ride compared to all the other setups?
Old 10-30-2017, 09:52 AM   #22
626CammedSS

Did some research on the Detroits they are bit pricey for my budget, would you recommend going with the Koni Yellows with the bmr springs i have or the BC coils if im just looking for a smoother ride
Old 10-30-2017, 12:53 PM   #23
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
We typically don't suggest going lower than 1.25" with springs as the dampers tend to bottom out more causing ride quality issues. There are some replacement dampers out there but we've noticed the Koni's don't ride great and by the time you purchase the springs and dampers you'd be close to the price of a Ridetech coilover package. We've installed a lot of Ridetech systems with great success and the ride quality is excellent.

Please feel free to call or email us anytime with questions!

Kind regards,

Brandon
801-545-4215

Last edited by JDP Sales; 10-30-2017 at 06:58 PM.
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:45 PM   #24
Mike_G

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
what about the BC coils overs did you not like, did they feel too weak for the Camaro?.
Let me clarify I have only run the BR series not the ER series with the remote reservoirs the other person in this thread has. I wouldn't say I didn't like them. The only coilovers I ran that I didn't like were the LG motorsports, they were under dampened for the car. What I would say is that I though the ride was as good if not better with the Koni yellows and BMR springs. Thjis does not give you an adjustable ride height though although with the drop springs that may be ok with you. When you step up to the ridetech or detroit speed you get what you pay for, better construction and I thought the valving was a bit better than other options I had tried.

Use to have
2010 Camaro SS - ECS SC 1500, Kooks LTH + HFC, Corsa, CTS-V brakes, Detroit Speed Coilovers, BMR sways (FE4 conversion), DSE endlinks, BMR toe rods and trailing arms, Forgestar F14's
Mike_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 10:39 PM   #25
626CammedSS

I am liking the BC racing coils but ive seen alot of reviews both good and bad I dont know if it will be any better than my setup ive seen alot of people say it rides worst than drop springs and some say it rides better than OEM
Old 10-31-2017, 07:28 AM   #26
hesster

Drives: '10 C5 SS, '77 Bandit T/A
I run BC Er's AND have 22" wheels, which one would think make for a really harsh ride. Not so. I also use Moreno Camber/Caster Plates to allow for optimum alignment, and a full boat of suspension upgrades. They all play nicely together. I found setting the BC Coil overs on stiffer settings (over 15 clicks) helps reduce any annoying clunks and bottoming out on big bumps. Not a fan of drop springs because the specified drop does not allow additional ride height adjustment, and ride quality usually suffers cause they are generally stiffer. Of course, better stuff does not come cheap, and to me suspension modifications should be a integrated approach to obtain desired results.
Attached Images

hesster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:00 AM   #27
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Hesster's success was one of the many reasons I decided to go with the BC ER series. I was also considering the Ride Tech CO's, as the price was comparable, and I believe they are quality parts too. Don't think you can go wrong with either.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 11:41 AM   #28
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddudesrule View Post
Hesster's success was one of the many reasons I decided to go with the BC ER series. I was also considering the Ride Tech CO's, as the price was comparable, and I believe they are quality parts too. Don't think you can go wrong with either.
For ride quality ridetechs appear to be the best from all the testing, but subjective I guess. My PEdders supercar s aren’t. Similar to bc er’s. Good ride, firm and solid with some compliance if compression is set soft and rebound at 10-15, but the stiff springs will never soak up the bumps in bad roads.

Also note, all with a 2012 car or newer with the new rear sway bar design, bc er’s maynot fit unless you use the JPSS rear 32mm bar. The bump cannisters get in the way of the rear bar
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote